Starting to see more made in USA

Mayhew is a brand that has some USA made tools and others from globel material assembled in the USA.

I bought a set of made in USA, 3 pc. set center/*rick punches from Tractor Supply Corportion and see that Home Depot also stocks them.

Mayhew Steel Products (Mayhew Tools), founded in 1856, is an ISO 9001:2015-certified company and the oldest punch and chisel manufacturer in the United States. Headquartered in Turners Falls, MA.

https://mayhew.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
As having my career ended being outsourced to China & India, I buy US whenever I can. Enough with the industry titans buying back stock to get bigger bonuses and not investing in new products. No bailouts. I know they will only hurt their own remaining employees, but it's gone on too long.

+1

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by grampi
It's time for the government to mandate that all American companies produce their products here in the U.S. Companies aren't going to do this on their own as they are too greedy. We need to ween ourselves off of cheap foreign labor...so what if products cost a bit more being made her, it'll be worth it...

No, I think we should just make a level playing field. If the only reason to manufacture in China was cheap labor, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. They can pollute there, too, big time, like they cannot do here. China will say that's not true, but it is. You can bribe the [censored] out of CCP officials and get anything you want, if you want it badly enough. They'll sell out their country and their people's health in a nanosecond, if you pay their asking price.

Another wonderful thing about Communism is the incredible corruption they have. All governments have corruption, but they set a much higher standard for it than democratic republics do. Although we've been getting better at it as the size of our government increases and as people care less.

So what are you saying? We should allow businesses in our country to usurp laws and regulations so we can compete with China? I think we need to focus less on being a part of the world economy and focus more on being our own...

Fact is you don't care … do you? As long as things are fine for you.
The whole world just got stomped on by CC and paying higher prices garbage starts … really ?

So what are you saying? We should allow businesses in our country to usurp laws and regulations so we can compete with China? I think we need to focus less on being a part of the world economy and focus more on being our own...

That horse left the barn 30 years ago.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
It's time for the government to mandate that all American companies produce their products here in the U.S. Companies aren't going to do this on their own as they are too greedy. We need to ween ourselves off of cheap foreign labor...so what if products cost a bit more being made her, it'll be worth it...

No, I think we should just make a level playing field. If the only reason to manufacture in China was cheap labor, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. They can pollute there, too, big time, like they cannot do here. China will say that's not true, but it is. You can bribe the [censored] out of CCP officials and get anything you want, if you want it badly enough. They'll sell out their country and their people's health in a nanosecond, if you pay their asking price.

Another wonderful thing about Communism is the incredible corruption they have. All governments have corruption, but they set a much higher standard for it than democratic republics do. Although we've been getting better at it as the size of our government increases and as people care less.

More corruption in other (communist) countries? We have just as much here but laws are passed that make a corrupt practice legal, so its not considered "corruption". We're just slicker doing it. Instead of passing money in a brown paper bag under a bridge to get something , we pass a law that gets that special something. Same thing but not "corruption"

Originally Posted by E365
It's great in theory, but isn't this a 2-way street? If you refuse to buy Chinese made products, don't you need to be 100% OK with the Chinese not buying our products?
For example, China is the #1 export market for US Agricultural products. You can kiss millions of US farm jobs goodbye if the Chinese play the same game.

When it comes to ag products, China hasn't been playing fair for a long time, much longer than the last 3 1/2 years. For years, China didn't want our grain because "it was genetically modified", with Syngenta being the biggest seed producer of gmo grain. So what do they do? The Chinese bought Syngenta. Many of our slaughterhouses are foreign-owned, with China owning Smithfield, the big swine producer. A lot of these foreign-owned slaughterhouses now take in foreign-raised beef and swine, keeping the price of domestically produced meat low to where American producers are losing money.

Consumers want low prices. With stagnant wages for the last 30 years, the improvement in our lifestyles has been thanks to the Chinese producers.

That compressor is probably made here because this is the market is here. Same reason lots of GMs are made in China and lots of "foreign" things are made here.

This is a genie that will not go back into its bottle. Nor a toilet that you can unflush. Nor an egg you can unscramble. It's been the trend since the invention of the sail.

That said, we've gotten screwed by a lot of bad deals. The answer is smarter trade policy. We can do that! I live in a state that depends on trade. Trade is one of the most powerful forces of good, but it has to be used smartly.

Originally Posted by FT92
need everything made in the USA. We can do it i'm sure

Yes, we can...we did years ago. Back in the 50s almost everything we used was made in the USA, and during this time the American People were the most economically well off ever. After the 1970s when the country started important everything it all went down hill.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

That horse left the barn 30 years ago.

No it has not....

You... You yourself just said you buy a vehicle that is what ??? Built near you....

Enough said. . .

Amazing the "change" in tune with people over time...

Because 20, 30+ years ago it was the people on that side that actually we're totally against jobs and production being sent elsewhere.. Watch that movie Tommy Boy....... And it was the people on the other side justifying that activity of sending every job overseas...

Truth be told I agree with the people who believed it was a bad idea to off shore production decades ago... They had that figured right in my opinion.

Last edited:
Country of origin still makes little difference to me. I own some real garbage made in USA like a recent snow blower, Couch, and daughters electric toy car. Not saying it all is bad just that Made in USA does not indicate better.

When you have to pay people a living wage I believe quality drops to be competitive in USA.

We are a consumer driven market. People tout made in the USA for products yet they flock to the best deals they can get. You can buy a nice television for less than $1000. If the same television was made here it may cost $2300. I find the people that push support the USA worker tend to be the biggest offenders of cheaply made products. Personally I buy US made whenever I can and pay the fee. I sit on $1000 dollar office chairs made by Herman Miller. Yet you see the people that say they want US made products buying the sub $300 dollar chair.

The computer and the monitor you are looking at now is probably 80 percent foreign made parts. We have become the land of waste and throw away.

Originally Posted by GON
Originally Posted by walterjay
Glad to see that. Unfortunately it will take years to get our manufacturing back. We gave so much of it away.

Had a neighbor, his job was to sell used machines that design and manufacture things that were in the USA to China. He made a boat load of money from 1994-2014. In 2015 he had to find a different job, the vast majority of machines in the USA had been shipped to China. Not really much left for him to sell.

Very scary situation. How could this of had happened. Lots of overnight millionaires and billionaires in the USA over the past two decades because of China manufacturing.... at what long term cost/risk to the USA.....

At what risk ? What we are seeing now (some are seeing now)

Originally Posted by Amkeer
We are a consumer driven market. People tout made in the USA for products yet they flock to the best deals they can get. You can buy a nice television for less than $1000. If the same television was made here it may cost $2300. I find the people that push support the USA worker tend to be the biggest offenders of cheaply made products. Personally I buy US made whenever I can and pay the fee. I sit on $1000 dollar office chairs made by Herman Miller. Yet you see the people that say they want US made products buying the sub $300 dollar chair.

The computer and the monitor you are looking at now is probably 80 percent foreign made parts. We have become the land of waste and throw away.

Indeed. These same people also fawn all over the Asian models assembled in Japan because of all the QC problems with the same model assembled/made in the US.

Overall I think you are making some great points...

Originally Posted by bbhero

Overall I think you are making some great points...

That's how quotas can be useful it used wisely. You shouldn't stop imports entirely because that competition keeps US businesses improving, but don't make it easy for
foreign competition to steal the market.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Country of origin still makes little difference to me. I own some real garbage made in USA like a recent snow blower, Couch, and daughters electric toy car. Not saying it all is bad just that Made in USA does not indicate better.

When you have to pay people a living wage I believe quality drops to be competitive in USA.

Country of origin has little to do with product quality. Consumer demand has everything to do with it. Let's say for the sake of argument that we stopped all outsourced production and started producing all of our consumer goods here in the U.S. Consumers would stop buying poorly made products and would buy the better made products. The consumer market has ALWAYS been that way, and it wouldn't be any different if American businesses stopped outsourcing...

Loads of truth in that … and why is it a company can make a good quality oil filter here for what folks are willing to pay for some coffee concoction … but can't make other things here. I thought there would be a stronger reaction to what CC did to us and our friends abroad.

Automation makes the difference … I went to a new pipe mill a few months back … these guys ran it all remote with screens and CCTV … Even the loading area was hands free.

Back