NGK plugs made in USA?!

Anyone has any comments on NGK spark plugs assembled in USA?
Just got plugs from RA and was expecting Japan made ones like in the past.
It's NGK 9723 plug.

Ahh, Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. NGK's factory produces both spark plugs and oxygen sensors at their plant in Sissonville (just north of Charleston) and Toyota makes car engines and transmission at their Buffalo plant (also north of Charleston but in the other direction).

I believe that both of these plants are unique in the fact that they produce multiple products - Toyota with engines and transmission and NGK with spark plugs and oxygen sensors.

Anyone has any comments on NGK spark plugs assembled in USA?
Just got plugs from RA and was expecting Japan made ones like in the past.
It's NGK 9723 plug.
In the 90's the NGK v-power were US made, and they tended to run hotter than their rating i.e.: #6 ran like a 5. And this was pre OBD ii when most cars were lean and mean and ignition systems were sending high tension voltage anywhere but the plug - given the chance.

I considered v-power junk.

At the time Subaru and Toyota preferred Nippon Denso O.E. or Hot-U; they had a more robust GND electrode which is less prone to wear and overheating. Many Subaru also came with specific #8 heatrange Champion Inconel Cu-core plugs, but they were generally unavailable as a service part. The available hotter Nines didn't cut it.
COP and Iridium fine wire and wide-band lambda sensing fixed most ignition and drivability issues.

Don't know what the current state of affairs with NGK std plugs is. I prefer Champion, Autolite or Denso here.

- Arco

Ahh, Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. NGK's factory produces both spark plugs and oxygen sensors at their plant in Sissonville (just north of Charleston) and Toyota makes car engines and transmission at their Buffalo plant (also north of Charleston but in the other direction).

I believe that both of these plants are unique in the fact that they produce multiple products - Toyota with engines and transmission and NGK with spark plugs and oxygen sensors.
Isn't Buffalo north of Huntington? I was told they make the 3.5's there.

I worked in their warehouse about 14 years ago, and at that time NGK shipped plugs, and O2 and knock sensors, to various auto assembly plants across North America. Management was predominantly Japanese. Quality control was, and likely still is, top notch. West Virginians are capable of more than just digging coal 👍
Don't they make the 3.5 there?

Isn't Buffalo north of Huntington? I was told they make the 3.5's there.
Their site says this about engine production: "Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV) is Toyota’s only combined engine and transmission plant in North America. Additionally, TMMWV is the only manufacturing plant in North America to produce hybrid transaxles. We build four-cylinder, 2.4 Turbo and TNGA 2.5 engines, transmissions and hybrid transaxles."

I believe the 3.5 comes from Alabama.

As for location... I grew up south of these places in beautiful Beckley. I remember driving to Charleston and thinking I was heading into the big city. They had a minor league baseball team and a real airport. The irony is that I now live in Atlanta, Ga., with the worst traffic in the nation and the busiest airport in the world. Life's been good!

WV.JPG

today GLOBAL means wherever the most profit can be made!! hopefully specs are met but todays GREEDY economy its ALL about the $$$$$

Their site says this about engine production: "Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV) is Toyota’s only combined engine and transmission plant in North America. Additionally, TMMWV is the only manufacturing plant in North America to produce hybrid transaxles. We build four-cylinder, 2.4 Turbo and TNGA 2.5 engines, transmissions and hybrid transaxles."

As for location... I grew up south of these places in beautiful Beckley. I remember driving to Charleston and thinking I was heading into the big city. They had a minor league baseball team and a real airport. The irony is that I now live in Atlanta, Ga., with the worst traffic in the nation and the busiest airport in the world. Life's been good!

View attachment 209945
If driving around Atlanta is worse than the WV Turnpike, I'll be sure to stay away from there.

NGK also makes plugs in Brazil. Bought a Brazilian made BKR5E for a Briggs & Stratton(also for many Nissans) engine - Industria Brazilia. Also the case with a BR6HS for a Subaru small engine.

today GLOBAL means wherever the most profit can be made!! hopefully specs are met but todays GREEDY economy its ALL about the $$$$$
The race to the bottom, where you eventually fire your customers.

View attachment 209945
Even though it looks close, there is no direct way to get there. That vacant area between the two plants is a huge mtn range. They have to go down to Charleston and west on I-64. Your Beckley is a ghost town full of drug addicts....Sad.

Back