Starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

It only has 15k miles so would it actually have something to do with the spark plugs?

No, not in this case.
Depending on what kind of dealer you will be talking to, the result could be a complete waste of time (and money), or a pleasant success story. It really depends on the dealer's attitude.
You have to try the dealership anyway, since it has to be fixed under warranty. Make sure that in any case they give you the slip with whatever they did to diagnose/fix the problem. That way you establish a paper trail of the problem.

I second a faulty ignition switch as likely cause. Also, in case of some engines, a defective coolant temperature sensor can cause a poorly running, stalling or non-running engine (due to incorrect air/fuel mix). A clogged fuel filter or a problem with the fuel pump might also be the cause.

I have an 04 Civic. Once in a while I would start it and it would sound like its out of gas and I would stop and then try again. The second time it usually makes that sound but after I release the key it wold start. It starts up fine most of the time. I've always thought this happened because I was low on gas but for a few times now it happened with the tank half full. What could be the problem? I want to take it to the dealer but it would be hard to make a point for them to check it if it didn't do that for them to see that there's problem. But I'm affraid that when it becomes a real problem sometime down the road that it might be too late and I would be out of warranty. Suggestions? Thanks.

Have you checked your spark plugs?
Does this happen only in the morning when the engine is cold? Or the engine temperature doesn't matter?

Thanks for the prompt reponses. If I went to the dealer and told them this and they do check then will they be able to determine that it was a faulty ignition switch or problem of some sort or will they just argue that my car is perfectly fine? I don't think its temperature dependent because I only left my car off for three hours once and tried to start it and it did that. But it doesn't happen every single time though. But when it does happen though it's kind of annoying and embarassing. It only has 15k miles so would it actually have something to do with the spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back