Starter won't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

The starter on my 1989 Ford E-250 van (4.9L straight 6) continues to spin once the engine has caught and fired. The current incident is the third time in about 3 years. In the other incidents the cranking would eventually stop after cycling the key on an off a bunch of times, or by putting the van in gear and driving a few feet. This time however, the starter will not stop. The only way I could stop it this time was to disconnect the battery... with sparks and all.

Ideas?... please.

Does this have the starter relay mounted near the fender or battery? Easy access but they were very problematic. Sounds like you need a new starter relay.

I guess I don't know, because I don't know what the starter relay looks like. I think I'll have a better idea in the morning... when there's light. I'm right now sitting in the dark van, online via my iPhone, waiting for the tow truck to show up.
frown.gif

Too bad my iPhone can't fix it.

Thanks!

Home now. Cold and tired, but I think I know exactly the relay you mean, so I'm optimistic for a quick fix.

11.gif

Get that relay replaced. If they are known to be problematic, perhaps a spare in the glove box. They aren't that expensive.

Usually a good smack with a screwdriver handle will free the contacts, at least till the next time you start it...

I have have ford trucks my whole life. Purchase a quality starter solenoid if you can find one. Also, at that age, I would change the ignition switch. They are cheap and easy to change. Probably the solenoid, but its good insurance to change both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Usually a good smack with a screwdriver handle will free the contacts, at least till the next time you start it...

Thought that was for making "dead' Starters work one more time?? .... I could be wrong, but I have whacked starters with screwdrivers and it never did anything!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
He's talking about whacking the solenoid with the screwdriver, which usually works.

Is that the one on top, that you can see, looks like a laptop battery? I had a car that wouldn't start once and hit it all sorts of ways, it didn't do anything.

I also thought the starter was down by the trans??? ... ??? (pushes a gear in/out, etc. Saw it on a Honda Civic)

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
He's talking about whacking the solenoid with the screwdriver, which usually works.

Is that the one on top, that you can see, looks like a laptop battery? I had a car that wouldn't start once and hit it all sorts of ways, it didn't do anything.

I also thought the starter was down by the trans??? ... ??? (pushes a gear in/out, etc. Saw it on a Honda Civic)

On an old Ford like this, the starter solenoid is on the fender, not on the start itself.

I had a bad solenoid stick on me like that late, last summer on my '77 Riviera. As soon as you disconnected the battery, the solenoid would free itself until you tried to start it again. New starter unit solved it. My starter+solenoid are one piece.
On my Fords, I always kept one of those relays in the glovebox just in case.

On an old Ford like this, the starter solenoid is on the fender, not on the start itself.

And something EVERY owner should know about, cause sooner or later they seem to fail... That said my '69 Fairlane with 428CJ is still sportin' it's original, at least it's the same one that was on it when I bought it in '73, has a C7(1967) number...

I've seen several fail that were being powered by a weak battery or had dragging starter, causing contacts to arc and burn...

Wow a lot more interest in this topic than I expected!

mechtech2,

Based on what I know I'm lean towards your fix as the right one. Why do you suppose other people think it's the solenoid? Also, I thought that the solenoid for my van is on the starter, are you able to tell me where it is? Last night no amount of hammering on the starter, or dis/re-connecting of the battery corrected the problem. The circuit remains open today and would produce mega arching and a cranking starter if I tried to connect the battery right now.

Originally Posted By: Yuk
Wow a lot more interest in this topic than I expected!

mechtech2,

Based on what I know I'm lean towards your fix as the right one. Why do you suppose other people think it's the solenoid? Also, I thought that the solenoid for my van is on the starter, are you able to tell me where it is? Last night no amount of hammering on the starter, or dis/re-connecting of the battery corrected the problem. The circuit remains open today and would produce mega arching and a cranking starter if I tried to connect the battery right now.

If it was the bendix, the starter wouldn't engage in your above scenario, it is either the solenoid or the ignition switch. Most likely the solenoid is stuck, as this is the most common source of this issue.

I grew up around antique boats. They ALL had these starter solenoids that would eventually stick and cause what you are experiencing. It is common.

To find the solenoid, follow the fat wire coming from the battery. If ends on a cylinder-shaped thing with two posts on it, that's your starter solenoid.

See the thing above and to the right of the battery in this picture:

UnderHood1.jpg

That's the starter solenoid.

Same thing in this (later, EFI) truck:

042125A0-51FA-4621-8F53-E781D3799D6E_25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back