Starter Rebuild Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had any success with starter rebuild kits e.g. Victory Lap kits available from PartsAmerica?

Many years ago, I tried rebuilding the starter from the 4.9l F250 that I had with a Victory Lap kit and I gave up and bought a used starter from a scrap yard. Soldering the wires for the brushes was almost impossible. Since that attempt, I never tried rebuilding a starter myself.

Alternators are easier and I can install a rebuild kit on an alternator. Perhaps it was just the Ford starter that was hard to rebuild.

I started a post in this section a while back when I wanted too get a gear reduction starter for my small block chevy, I picked 1 up from D&B Electrical for $79.00.

What is the year, make, and model of the vehicle you are thinking about putting a starter on.

Don't need a starter right now. I was thinking that a few years hence I might prophylactically rebuild the starter on my 2006 Sierra instead of waiting for it to break down. I will definitely rebuild my alternator around 150k miles, I am comfortable with alternators.

The truck is too recent for the suppliers to carry replacement alternators or starters or even rebuild kits. No one is listing the DR44G alternator or the PG260D/9000960 starter. I checked alternatorparts.com, D B Electric. Springhillautoelectric.com does have a rebuild kit for the PG260D starter for $74.95. I don't know if a replacement starter is much more expensive than $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back