Starter/Generator bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm rebuilding the Delco/Remy starter/generator for my 1969 Sears Suburban tractor and was wondering what grease I should use to repack the internal bearings with?

I was thinking of using Mobil Polyrex EM, but wasn't sure if I just stick to a bearing grease that isn't rated for electric motors.

Any suggestions or education would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
puma4440

Sorry, yes, they are roller bearings.

When I bench tested the unit, I thought it had a bad bearing, but the ancient, hard grease mixed with the carbon from brush wear had them turning rough. After a run through the ultra-sonic cleaner, they run freely again.

Mobil Polyrex EM or other polyurea grease with no solids would be a good choice, be sure to clean all the old grease out to avoid compatibility issues.

I did the best I could to clean them out, first was a shot of brake cleaner, then a soak in diesel fuel, then another shot of brake cleaner, then a cycle through the ultrasonic cleaner.

Polyrex EM or Chevron SRI would be my choices.

NTN for their bearings lists within the part number a code for grease. When I put in new bearings in a Denso alt, the NTN 6000-series bearings I used were packed from the factory with Polyrex EM2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back