Started Raining During My Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had been planning all week to change my oil today and i finally got some free time around midday to get it done. i checked the weather and they were calling for rain to start around 3 and last throughout the rest of the night. so i figured i should have plenty time to get it done before then. WRONG. just as soon as i got the drain plug off the rain started coming down. now at this point i'm pretty much screwed as i had to wait at least 5 minutes for all the oil to drain out.

im freaking out now that maybe some water dripped down the filler tube during the oil change. it wouldn't be much if it did but it still worries me. would the water get burned off if it did manage to get mixed in with the oil? should i be worried?

how many of you have changed your oil in the rain?

I've done it quite often. If any rain droplets got in....the engine never noticed. Really, how much rain droplets are going to find their way past your hood and down the filler tube? Get Real!

I'd relax!

Even if a few ounces of water got in there all you need to do is take the car out for a good hard drive and it will evaporate. Not to mention that oil today is formulated to compensate for moisture like that anyhow.

ok thanks guys i feel better now! what would i do without this forum
cheers3.gif

I would worry more about keeping yourself dry than getting a few drops in the engine. I personally try not to change my oil unless it's over 70 and sunny. Which is pretty often here in Texas, even in the wintertime.

I hate when that happens, mainly because I need to rush to finish up and can make a mess as a result. I wouldnt worry about water so long as you took reasonable precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back