HELP!! Two Problems to fix....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil last night in 3 cars.

First problem:
Due to the rain and my dog and wife telling me to get out of the rain (aka distractions ) I added 4 quarts of 0W-20 to my 2005 Subaru Forester. Subaru calls for about 5 quarts of 5W-30 for this vehicle.

Second problem:

The rain started as I was finishing up. I grabbed the funnel and the oil and started adding it as it started,

Some rain (not a lot) landed on the funnel andwould have entered the engine.

Please all, I'm asking for any and all opinions, I would appreciate all replies. My hunch is that the amount of water that got in via the funnel is minor (I estimate less than 1/4 ounce) and will evaporate/burn off on the road quickly. But the wrong oil grade is heavy on my mind.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely yours in petroleum,

CJ

No issue at all, first long trip the water will be gone from oil, and 0w20 is very stable oil. If you felt like it you could shorten oci, but no worries.

Why is there no issue with 0w20, it is called an oil pump and it is the great equalizer. If you look I bet only 2 psi difference between 20 oe 30 weight, both are thin oils. When you look at stat sheet 25% difference, but in an engine only 2 to 4% differnce.

Guess I'm lucky I don't speak dog! Now, if only there was a way to unlearn speaking "wife"! There is, but it gets expensive if you've been married 10 years or more...

Originally Posted by burla
No issue at all, first long trip the water will be gone from oil, and 0w20 is very stable oil. If you felt like it you could shorten oci, but no worries.

Exactly not a problem for both issues. Maybe a slightly earlier oil change on the 0W20, but it will be a full synthetic anyway.

What exact oils did you use ?

With the 2005 Subaru Forester, does it just say SN 5w30 in the owners manual? If so a conventional 5W30 is OK by them, so a 0W20 synthetic is a bit thinner but more heat and shear stable.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I see implicating your wife and dog in the mistakes you made a third problem.

The dog will quickly forgive and never think about it again.

Originally Posted by SR5

Exactly not a problem for both issues. Maybe a slightly earlier oil change on the 0W20, but it will be a full synthetic anyway.

With the 2005 Subaru Forester, does it just say SN 5w30 in the owners manual? If so a conventional 5W30 is OK by them, so a 0W20 synthetic is a bit thinner but more heat and shear stable.

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

Originally Posted by SR5

The dog will quickly forgive and never think about it again.

I agree.

The wife on the other hand....

Originally Posted by SR5

2005 Forester will be an SM 5W30 all the way up to 20W50, per OM. Other than Al's short-lived experiment with 0W20 in a Subie calling for a 5W30, I've never heard of anyone running a 20wt in an EJ engine. You can try the Mobil thing to thicken it up, or just drive it gingerly for this OCI.

I personally would dump it and then use it in whatever was supposed to get the 20wt. Leave the filter on since it's only about 1/2 cup of oil.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Originally Posted by ammolab
4qts 0W-20 in a 5qt sump needing 5W-30????

Add one quart Mobil 1 15W-50. Fixed!

This

This sounds good to me too.

lol.gif

Third & a bigger problem
grin2.gif

I am not a thinnie but big trucks towing are speced 0Wx20 ... So it can't be that bad! As long as you are not short 1 qt.
Sometimes older cars burn a little more with thinner oil but don't all Subarus kind of burn oil anyways?

Originally Posted by OilUzer

I am not a thinnie but big trucks towing are speced 0Wx20 ... So it can't be that bad! As long as you are not short 1 qt.
Sometimes older cars burn a little more with thinner oil but don't all Subarus kind of burn oil anyways?

I'm not a thinnie either, but I too wouldn't change out fresh synthetic oil, not for commuting duties or other low stress use. It's a Subie, it will use oil, top up with 15W40 or 10W40 mineral oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by OilUzer

I'm not a thinnie either, but I too wouldn't change out fresh synthetic oil, not for commuting duties or other low stress use. It's a Subie, it will use oil, top up with 15W40 or 10W40 mineral oil.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back