StarFire Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to change out the differentials in my F250. I took a stroll though a local mom and pop hardware store today to find they have a nice selection of oils and the prices are excellent.

I was looking for some 75w-140 gear oil specifically just to get an idea on their price. All I could find was a brand called "StarFire". I have never heard of this brand before. According to the label it is full synthetic and meets GL-5 spec. Its $7.99 a quart. Looked like an OK deal if it's a good quality. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? This store had a bunch of motor oil, transmission fluid, and antifreeze that was branded StarFire.

There is never a rush to change gear oil in a diff.

My suggestion (and its what I do) is to order some Amsoil SVG (sever gear oil) of the recommended weight. While I am not an Amsoil fanatic, I do feel their ATF and gear oil are among the top ones out there and worth ordering. (I get motor oil at Walmart).

A second would be M1 gear oil.

Also spend a minute or two tapping the diff cover with a small hammer looking for near rust through. Its happened to me and more often than I would have guessed. One guy did not catch it in time and slowly it all leaked out and one day the diff. locked up.

And if its a limited slip diff. it may need an additive.

The Amsoil website should have specific info for your exact vehicle.

Well, I wouldn't but, hey your truck.
I ran Delo 85w140 for 3 years in my Super Duty diff, it was aroung the same price as your StarFire. Excellent quality, boron base.
Just switched to Valvoline 75w140. Got it at NAPA during a bucket sale, it was 11.99 a quart.
I see no sense in compromising with an off brand in a critical application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back