Stanley Cup Final Series

Starts tonight.

E87169DB-1FED-474F-A4AB-806A7E3C5AC3.jpg

There's an article in today's Las Vegas Review Journal, front page... The books stand to lose a lot of $$ if the Golden Knights win, but the books are still supporting their local team...

Wow, after watching the first game, I can see how Florida got where they are. Goalie intimidation, holding their opponents sticks on a massive scale, cross checking, etc. Didn't work so well against the Knights last night. From what I saw in last night's game, both Edmonton and Dallas fielded better teams than the Panthers. That being said, they made it past Boston and North Carolina, so anything is possible.

Hockey is a game to be played in the North. For me, zero interest is seeing a beach team play a desert heat team. Looking at this thread, I am in the minority.
You don't have to be from the Great White North to appreciate a hard-hitting fast-paced game played by real men that would only get laughed at if they fell down in an Oscar worthy performance like some other professional sports players do.

The Golden Knights started their first season just as Vegas was recovering from the October mass shooting event on the Strip. Not only did they support the town in a massive way after that tragedy, they made it to the Stanley Cup finals that first year. They are a civic minded organization and forever will be associated with healing from that shooting.

So we associate the Knights with healing. What do we associate the other major league professional team, the Raiders with? I'll give you a hint. Killing a young woman and her dog after driving 156 mph down a surface street while DWI at twice the legal limit. Now it looks like we are going to get a lousey baseball team from Oakland too.

In spite of being in the scorching desert, don't expect either of Oakland's cast off teams to take the place of the Knights in the hearts and minds of the people in this city.

Hockey is a game to be played in the North. For me, zero interest is seeing a beach team play a desert heat team. Looking at this thread, I am in the minority.
Feel the same but it's been disappointing to me for a while now. I rooted for Montreal and Toronto whole heartedly within the last few years, since my team is so bad (Phila.).

Just to add some color, I was down in Tampa in 2016, and in a bar. Hey, you guys aren't watching the Stanley Cup playoffs? Nope, we're not into that. OK, can you put on the Bolts? OK.

Flash forward they win 2 more times, and everyone is a die hard fan. Lends credence to everyone loving a winner.

No different than going to a concert. Die hard fans who have never actually seen the original band, and have been fans since 2002. The things I've been a fan of date back to the 80's, good, or bad, can't change them. That's why I can only bite so many times when, here we go again, "The final tour." So was 2015. lol

You don't have to be from the Great White North to appreciate a hard-hitting fast-paced game played by real men that would only get laughed at if they fell down in an Oscar worthy performance like some other professional sports players do.

The Golden Knights started their first season just as Vegas was recovering from the October mass shooting event on the Strip. Not only did they support the town in a massive way after that tragedy, they made it to the Stanley Cup finals that first year. They are a civic minded organization and forever will be associated with healing from that shooting.

So we associate the Knights with healing. What do we associate the other major league professional team, the Raiders with? I'll give you a hint. Killing a young woman and her dog after driving 156 mph down a surface street while DWI at twice the legal limit. Now it looks like we are going to get a lousey baseball team from Oakland too.

In spite of being in the scorching desert, don't expect either of Oakland's cast off teams to take the place of the Knights in the hearts and minds of the people in this city.
Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on hockey being a traditional "great white north" sport are only mine. Times change, some of us(me) struggle with change. For me and only me, moving hockey from the great white north to Florida and the likes makes hockey just another entertainment media choice, instead of the mystique that comes with living in the frozen tundra- and the hard life that comes with living in the brutal cold winter weather that I associate with hockey.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on hockey being a traditional "great white north" sport are only mine. Times change, some of us(me) struggle with change. For me and only me, moving hockey from the great white north to Florida and the likes makes hockey just another entertainment media choice, instead of the misteque that comes with living in the frozen tundra.
Look at your avatar--we know you have to be a fan of the great white north, or Boston. Also, not Montreal.

• Haha
Reactions: GON
Back