Stanley Cup picks

The 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs are a good example of why I don't bet on sports.
I wonder if it can be broken down somehow, and there are far more variables with hockey. Multiple rounds all best of 7. I don't gamble so I wouldn't know. Don't like games where I'm being skimmed. How would you like it if you bought auto parts and there were all different prices and different points of failure designed in, such that you lose every time :)

I wonder if it can be broken down somehow, and there are far more variables with hockey. Multiple rounds all best of 7. I don't gamble so I wouldn't know. Don't like games where I'm being skimmed. How would you like it if you bought auto parts and there were all different prices and different points of failure designed in, such that you lose every time :)
In the mid-'70s the opening round was best-of-3. After a few upsets, they moved to best-of-5, but upsets continued. Best-of-7 has probably helped, but upsets still happen.

As far as the defective autoparts, they used to identify them here as Motomaster so you would know they were precision-engineered to fail on the 93rd day of a 90-day warranty.

Canadians will know. 😉

In the mid-'70s the opening round was best-of-3. After a few upsets, they moved to best-of-5, but upsets continued. Best-of-7 has probably helped, but upsets still happen.

As far as the defective autoparts, they used to identify them here as Motomaster so you would know they were precision-engineered to fail on the 93rd day of a 90-day warranty.

Canadians will know. 😉
It's uncanny when an engineer does a superb job, and the part fails when designed, out of warranty!

As is so often the case, the best series may be early on.
That was the case. According to some of the current Stanley Cup winners, the Las Vegas Golden Knights, the toughest team they faced in the playoffs was the Oilers. If the Bruins got past Florida, it might have been a different story, but they didn't.
The Panther trick of intimidation didn't work against a team that was bigger, faster, and more disciplined.

That was the case. According to some of the current Stanley Cup winners, the Las Vegas Golden Knights, the toughest team they faced in the playoffs was the Oilers. If the Bruins got past Florida, it might have been a different story, but they didn't.
The Panther trick of intimidation didn't work against a team that was bigger, faster, and more disciplined.
Florida was a crazy surprise. Bobrovsky salvaged the series against the Bruins, and then won the next two series almost single-handedly. He or the entire team finally ran out of gas against Vegas.

Florida was a crazy surprise. Bobrovsky salvaged the series against the Bruins, and then won the next two series almost single-handedly. He or the entire team finally ran out of gas against Vegas.
That was a kick in the pants as a Bruins fan...hard melt-down to watch.

That was a kick in the pants as a Bruins fan...hard melt-down to watch.
I texted my long-time Bruins fan friend after the Panthers won Game 6 to tie the series, and said "Is it 1971 all over again?" (That was the year the high-flying Bruins were upset by the underrated Habs in seven.)

As it turned out ... yes.

I texted my long-time Bruins fan friend after the Panthers won Game 6 to tie the series, and said "Is it 1971 all over again?" (That was the year the high-flying Bruins were upset by the underrated Habs in seven.)

As it turned out ... yes.
The Panthers were clearly better than their regular season record suggested going into the playoffs and the Bruins were clearly not as good as their regular season record suggested. I've never been more frustrated by a team who couldn't clear the zone and would repeatedly give the game away with less than 3 mins left.

If they won this year they'd be one of the greatest Bruins teams of all time. With their exit from the playoffs and the way in which it happened, they are just a very good team that played exceptionally well in the regular season.

The Panthers were clearly better than their regular season record suggested going into the playoffs and the Bruins were clearly not as good as their regular season record suggested. I've never been more frustrated by a team who couldn't clear the zone and would repeatedly give the game away with less than 3 mins left.

If they won this year they'd be one of the greatest Bruins teams of all time. With their exit from the playoffs and the way in which it happened, they are just a very good team that played exceptionally well in the regular season.
Very much like 1971 - the Habs (with something like 11 future Hall-Of-Famers) were far better than their regular season had indicated, and the Bruins, while an excellent team, were overconfident. Had the Bruins started Gerry Cheevers in Game 2 (in which the Bruins blew a 5-2 lead heading into the 3rd), the outcome may have been different.

The '82/83 Bruins were similar - strong contenders with an excellent regular season, but not good enough in the playoffs.

Back