stainless steel Dishwasher interiors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new dishwasher. Considering one with a stainless steel interior. I have really hard well water, will the SS interior hold/show hard water stains? I'm thinking the plastic interior would hold onto lime deposits less. Anyone have experience with really hard water and Stainless?

With the phosphate free garbage my Bosch SS now has some deposits. No idea how other interiors stack up. Preban Cascade always had it shiny.

Last edited:
Our Bosch is SS inside and out. After 2 years it still looks like brand new. We also have well water, but we do have a water softener and a whole house water filter.

I have a KitchenAid with the stainless steel interior. I've had no problems with hard water staining as long as I keep the rinse agent dispenser loaded with Jet Dry. The only caveat I have with the dishwasher is that the ball bearing rack slides squeak very loudly when unloading the dishwasher. The dishwashers with the plastic interiors have nylon rollers for the racks and they're always silent.

Originally Posted By: hatt
With the phosphate free garbage

The regular Finish Powerball Tabs still contain phosphate. Been using them for a while now. My SS dishwasher is 5 years old and still clean inside.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning!
Are you guys saying it does not matter? Or would you pick a stainless or plastic interior for hard water?

We have really hard water and use a product called Lemi Shine to cut down on the otherwise inevitable water spots. I fill 1/2 of the main detergent dispenser with Lemi Shine and the rest with regular phosphate free detergent. Works like a charm!

I have very hard water from my well. I keep the stainless interior on my GE in good shape with either Cascade Platinum or Finish Quantam plus Lemi Shine rinse aid (citric acid) in the liquid rinse dispenser.

If it starts to build up even with the quality detergent and Lemi Shine, you can run an empty hot cycle with white vinegar.

With the phosphate free garbage my Bosch SS now has some deposits. No idea how other interiors stack up. Preban Cascade always had it shiny.

What's your water like, hatt? I've got a good water softener, and like the OP, I'm mulling getting a new dishwasher.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I need a new dishwasher. Considering one with a stainless steel interior. I have really hard well water, will the SS interior hold/show hard water stains? I'm thinking the plastic interior would hold onto lime deposits less. Anyone have experience with really hard water and Stainless?

We have a new Samsung, bought last years top of the line model. Love the SS, just seems cleaner somehow.

Our water is extremely "real", old deep well. The rinse agent that goes in the unit's dispenser does a great job of holding down the iron deposition, and whenever it builds up I just give it a squirt of Iron Out!

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Add a teaspoon of TSP. Get in the paint department at hardware stores. Same stuff they used to put in detergent.

TSP isn't what they use. Sodium Tripolyphosphate(STPP) is the correct stuff.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The regular Finish Powerball Tabs still contain phosphate. Been using them for a while now. My SS dishwasher is 5 years old and still clean inside.
Thanks. I couldn't find info online about their phosphate content. I'll check them out next time I go to the store.

Originally Posted By: Garak

What's your water like, hatt? I've got a good water softener, and like the OP, I'm mulling getting a new dishwasher.

Not so great, not so bad city water. You should be fine with a softener.

Any grocery store where I can still find Tang? That was the thing which made my dishwasher shine! Whatever they sell these days to clean the dishwasher seems to have minimal impact. I already tried Cascade Dishwasher Cleaner and Finish Dishwasher Cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thanks. I couldn't find info online about their phosphate content. I'll check them out next time I go to the store.

The MSDS doesn't show phosphate in any of the tabs. Perhaps he's finding old stock or a commercial version that I haven't seen.

I'll stick with my recommendation of Finish Quantam or Cascade Platinum plus Lemi Shine rinse aid.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Any grocery store where I can still find Tang? That was the thing which made my dishwasher shine! Whatever they sell these days to clean the dishwasher seems to have minimal impact. I already tried Cascade Dishwasher Cleaner and Finish Dishwasher Cleaner.

Lemi Shine makes a dishwasher cleaner too. Run it on the hottest cycle. Using the rinse aid afterward will help keep it clean.

White vinegar works too, but you need to use a lot of it. Wal-Mart has a cleaning variety that is 6% acetic acid vs. the regular 5%.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The MSDS doesn't show phosphate in any of the tabs.

Hmm... I guess they changed the formula. I remember we had a discussion on dishwashing detergents here in BITOG last year, and some members said it contained phoshpates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back