Stain/Sealant Recommendations for Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a deck built about a month ago with Yella wood. I am about ready to put a sealant/light stain on it to protect it. Does anybody have any recommendations on which brand I should go with and where to buy? What about oil/latex based? I don't want a stain that will make the wood dark. I just want a light colored sealer to help preserve the wood.

good luck finding anything oil based you like.. the epa has regulated it almost out of existance.

I ended up with some behr acrylic base and it came out good.
Only thing I can say is if you need easy get some kind of pressure sprayer (not a hand pump) and then back brush/roll it

The 20$ harbor freight electric one works good and holds 32oz.

you may need a angle kit to spray a deck. I sprayed A cabin made with T111 It came out good but thats also a vertical surface.

I'd imagine new wood is alot easier to stain than old siding and decks that I have done.

**offtopic**

I love those little 800watt harbor freight generators. I ran it 4 hours painting 2 10x12x16'h buildings and it used less than half a gallon of gas.

*the buildings were out in the middle of the woods. The acrylic base cleanup was refreshingly easy also.

Last edited:
We refinished our deck with oil based sealant but for experimentation, used acrylic for a garden structure.. It was a big mistake to use oil based. Oil based are not as durable as acrylics.

I would go with quality acrylics. And avoid Thompson - they are bottom of the barrel stuff. Good stuff will cost much more but it's worth it.

Cabot semi-solid has been lasting 4+ years for me. My back yard has the extremest conditions you can find: no shade what-so-ever, rain, snow, 100+ degrees, ice, 0 degrees -- we get it all in KS.

For the railings, I did a solid Sherwin Williams Durations paint.

Both have been stand up excellent. Don't ever paint the floor in a solid. I did this 1 time, and had to sand it down to bare wood the following year (very hard work).

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Keep it coming. I never thought about spraying it on but may highly consider it now. I bet it would save a lot of time vs using a brush and roller. Of course if I used a sprayer, I would have to make sure that I had plenty of plastic to prevent any overspray on to the house. It's funny how nobody recommends Thompson's products. I've heard a lot of negative reviews on their products as well. Is acrylic based different from latex? In the past, I've used an oil based Olympic Premium brand sealer from Lowe's and it was decent but didn't last as long as I'd hoped.

I wanted to add that this deck sees a LOT of sun especially in the summer time. There is no trees/shade around at all except in the afternoon since the sun is in the front of the house.

I want to keep the nice light wood color now so I think I will pass on painting any solid colors.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Don't ever paint the floor in a solid. I did this 1 time, and had to sand it down to bare wood the following year (very hard work).
+1000
I had to chemical strip and pressure wash twice and then still had to power sand the heavy crud. NEVER again. It was thompson's latex garbage too. I am gonna use Wolman F&P as it is VERY highly regarded on numerous wood finishing/decking sites. Ready Seal is also a great mail order option if somewhat pricey.

Just wanted to give an update to this thread since I started it a few months ago. I ended up buying Ready Seal based on the recommendation by hate2work. I got the natural cedar color and am very happy with the results. This stuff is amazing. I started off with a sprayer but it was wasting way too much. It soaks completely in the wood and provides UV protection, nice color, water protection. It goes on very evenly and really is "goof proof" as the container says. It ended up costing me $135 for a 5 gallon pail of it. I highly recommend Ready Seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back