Deck Staining Question

Where’s the Trex decking going, over the wood decking?

I have some TWP I need to put on the kids’ Rainbow playset myself.

I will say prep work is numero uno importante. it doesn't matter what you do after that. I have seen people use killz primer on new drywall and while I like Rust-Oleum zinsser better, just make sure all your services are clean dull and dry.

Yes. He’s gonna go a few picture frames and run the Trex perpendicular to existing boards.
Just realized what you are doing. That doesn't sound like a good idea or common good practice, That would promote mold growth and rot the "underlayment" up here to dust in two years.

When I solid stained my railings 5-6 years ago, I’m sure I over-researched it like I do everything. I know I used PPG solid stain and it covered the old transparent stain very well as well as its holding up very well.

How much sun does your deck get ? Unless its exclusively in the shade, you will hate trex. It gets extremely hot in the sun, hot enough to burn your feet and the whole deck is hot due to reflected/radiated heat. My father has trex on a deck near is pool, its too hot, even with shoes on, the air around the deck is so hot its uncomfortable.

Heck, it gets so hot now with the wood you have to wear shoes on those hot summer days. And those doggone splinters in the grand babies footsies….

And mine.

Heck, it gets so hot now with the wood you have to wear shoes. And those doggone splinters in the grand babies footsies….

And mine.
My fathers is a light grey color and its really hot, hot enough i will never use trex in the sun.

I’ll also second the heat. I had brown Azek on a south facing deck and it got HOT. Too hot for the dogs to even stand on for any period of time. I’d have went with a lighter color had I known. That was 11 years ago so maybe newer products are better, but I doubt it.

Well, I ended up with Valspar Solid Classic Mahogany. Behr solid took 2 coats. Cabot was easily one coat but couldn't quite get
the match I wanted. I took samples of the decking to Home Depot and Lowes but they couldn't custom match it as good as the Valspar.
I ended up with 8 different samples. The Valspar is thick and looks great after one coat. A painter in Lowe's told me to cover it with a transparent water proofing after I stain it.

Back