Stabilant 22 arrived in mail today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been curious about the stuff since hearing about it yrs ago. Price always kept me away. Amazon had 5ml undiluted kit (pure form) for $39.95 free shipping. Gave it a shot. No real need for it, a novelty for me, but will try it out on some things. 1st up will be some A/V cable connections for the HDTV and DVR, blueray player, home theater stuff. Ethernet cable connection from cable modem to wireless router. Random stuff around the house. Then maybe in the MAF pigtail on the Subaru. Stuff like that. Need to get some 99% isopropyl alcohol somewhere first. Supposed to enhance conductivity of low voltage electrical connections to the point of being as good as a soldered connection.

I bought some years ago in an attempt to get an older laptop to always recognize an extra 512MB ram chip. It didn't work, and I wound up having to remove the extra chip to prevent the Blue screen of death. That laptop is now too slow to use for most tasks anyway.

I've used it on many various other electrical connections. I've had no issues, but I cannot say whether it reduced resistance or not, as I have not tested, nor do I believe my meters are sensitive enough to notice. Mostly it has been a "feel good" extra step during assembly that slowed down the process.

I never found 99% alcohol, been using 91%.

I don't think it is good for connectors that are removed returned often.

they sell 100% at electronic supply stores its very pricy

you can easily find 99 or 99.9 online.

not so easy in person

Well, 99% isopropyl is out, way to spendy when I only need about 10ml of it to cut the pure stabilant with. Maybe I'll cut it with Everclear and make 22E instead of 22A. The left over 490 ml of Everclear (ethanol) can be used in creative ways thereafter. Everclear is legal in my state.

Weird that Iso Alky is so difficult to source. I purchase it by the 5 gallon pail. We use it to clean wheel wells and flap rear beam areas in our aircraft, as a non damaging solvent. If you were nearby, I'd give you some.

I use Stabilant 22 on many aviation related connections. Especially inside King radios, on the display board connectors. It works quite well at keeping oxidation away, and keeping the digits functional.

I won't make any magic claims about Stab22, but I will say that it works well for certain applications. Especially where corrosion or oxidation will reduce the quality of a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back