Powerline Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use these for getting internet to various places in your house instead of going the wireless wifi route? I am talking about the devices that use your home's electrical wiring to send the internet signal.

You plug one device into an outlet near the modem or router and connect an Ethernet cable between the two. Then in the other room(s) you wish to have internet access in you plug another device into an outlet and connect whatever you want internet access on to it with another Ethernet cable. Supposedly the signal runs through the home's wiring and can be even faster than wifi?

I am trying to get a new computer setup upstairs at my Aunt's house so she doesn't have to go down into the basement to use it. Her current computer is down there and that is where FIOS comes in. She is older( mid 80's )and the steps are very steep. I worry about her falling. I need to get that new computer setup upstairs for her.

Normally I would just call the company she gets her internet through and have them come out and add a connection upstairs. Like I said, normally. The issue here is she is badly afflicted with a hoarding disorder. The house is packed and no technician is going to come in to hook up the new line. They couldn't get around to do it even if they were willing to try!

Wifi is pretty much out as well because there is so much stuff and the router would be downstairs at the opposite end of the house from where I am cleaning to put the new computer upstairs( only place I could ). Even with a good router and range extender signal is a problem upstairs. Too much stuff, floors, walls, etc... to go through. I am working with her to get the place cleaned up but it is slow going and you have to be patient with people who have this disorder/illness.

So I am hoping that one of these powerline adapter kits will work as advertised. It would be a god send if it would actually work. The reviews seem to indicate they do but I am curious if any of you have ever used them or do use them? Looking at one from NetGear( model 1200+ )and 2 from ZyXel( model 1200 or the new 1800 ).

Local Best Buy has the Netgear one in stock and they are really good about taking tings back that don't work. However, the Netgear one has the reset button on the bottom of the device and if it drops signal( seen a few reviews saying this happens )you have to press it to get internet back. Would be very hard for her to do that.

The ZyXel one doesn't seem to have the issues with dropping signal that some have reported with the Netgear but I have to order those. I am not sure the return policy will be as good? This is a $100 investment and if it doesn't work I want to be able to return it.

Overall, all 3 models are highly rated in reviews. It is a 2.5 hour trip one way for me to go there so I want to get it right the first time if I can.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Oh, and PLEASE can we not turn this into a thread about hoarding. I only included that to explain why hardwiring upstairs or wifi isn't a viable option in this case. Please just stick to commenting the devices themselves. I would really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I bought a Netgear 1200 for $60 on eBay. Was new without a box. Works great & cheaper than the $90 Amazon wanted

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks.

They turn the electrical wiring into a giant noise transmitter.
They can also pop the newer CAFCI breakers.

Many of the units are semi flaky. or advertise 500Mbps with a fast Ethernet port (100mbit).

Is there a coax outlet nearby?

maybe a MOCA adapter?
Much better and more reliable than powerline.

Powerline is just ok if there isn't any viable alternative.

I purchased a TRENDnet Powerline 500 adapter to connect to the wireless router in the basement, which is connected to the cable modem and network drives. In the second floor bedroom/office I am using the adapter with the integrated 4-port switch to connect a printer, a windows box, and a linux box. It has worked well for over a year and is providing 100mb speeds.

My wife's aunt is similar on hoarding inside and outside home. It is hopeless to help these folks with this serious mental problem so you live around it.

I simply ran Ethernet cable from her cable modem to a wireless router on the outside of home. Power line may work but is never as reliable.

Most homes have a pipe chase you can fish down.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I lucked out and this will be easier than expected. While clearing some of the hoard out of the way I discovered a phone jack on the wall right near the desk the computer will be set up on. She has DSL for internet so this should be easy-peasy. I can just bring the modem upstairs and hook into that jack with a splitter/filter.

I've got a netgear powerline adapter between my media server and my router, wireless couldn't handle the load on the up side. Powerline solved all my problems and made my wireless router the weak link for all my other devices which hasn't been an issue.

Late to the party but I just got a pair of TP-Link AV2 MIMO (1200) and it works great between up and down stair that my wifi has problem going above 24mbps.

No one is getting the advertised throughput on their power line adapters, those are just theoretical maximum in lab setting. I was fully aware of that before I go in and get the most affordable MIMO adapter to boost the reliability, so instead of the AV 1000 non MIMO one (I think it is broadcom chipset), I got the AV2 1200 MIMO one (Atheros / Qualcomm chipset). I could have gone AV2 2000 (boardcom) but I think the wiring will get it to the same speed as the AV2 1200 anyways.

So far I'm getting about 450-500 mpbs on the tp-link speed test app, I only need a reliable 54mpbs and I'm pretty happy with it. Instead of running WDS hops between routers I'm now using them independently, as routers connected to ethernet. This power line kit is the best $50 I've ever spent on networking.

Last edited:
I have a TP-Link and it works well. But like everything else technology wise, it needs rebooting every so often or slows down after a power outage. 80+ year old ladies don't need to worry about going downstairs to reboot something, get the ISP to run a line upstairs, or run your own ethernet cable from the modem to an AP upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back