ST9688 oil filter on motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
I'm beginning to wonder if using these slightly larger filters is worth it. If the tiny 6607 is good enough for all those Honda cars isn't it good enough for my puny 500cc engine with OCIs of only 3-4,000 miles? Not sure if I am gaining anything other than the capability of putting a tiny bit more oil in at every change. My engine takes 3.2 quarts, which is an annoying amount, but it would be exactly 3 liters. If only we used the metric system!

Honda car engines are liquid cooled which allows for tighter internal clearances between parts, including the rings and cylinder walls; many Honda motorcycles are liquid cooled and the tiny [censored] 6607 service them well; not everyone is running liquid cooled motorcycles and their air cooled engines have more generous tolerancs between internal parts like rings and cylinder walls...less tight tolerances = more room between parts = more blow-by & carbon in the oil which gets caught by the filter; smaller filter = less media = less filtration efficiency

when I owned a Honda Shadow 750 (liquid cooled) I used both 6607 & 7317 sized filters...settled on 7317's for the added filtration capability; interesting tangent...all the air cooled metric bikes I have owned (and my current one) use cartridge filters mounted internally (Suzuki & Yamaha)

Last edited:
The ST 6607 looks like one of the more solid filters in the current Supertech lineup, and at less than $3 it is a bargain. For me it is just an alternate or a filter for a special use like a clean up. I'm going to run the FRAM XG 7317 on my bike for now.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
The ST 6607 looks like one of the more solid filters in the current Supertech lineup, and at less than $3 it is a bargain. For me it is just an alternate or a filter for a special use like a clean up. I'm going to run the FRAM XG 7317 on my bike for now.

LOL, the 6607 I used was specifically for that, a "cleanup" 500 mile run when I got the bike.
As mentioned before, mine was a Wix made ST, and these Champ made ones seem better to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back