Bypass pressure on ST9688?

I'm sure your right about Subaru but my infiniti VQ37 has the same filter number as a Altima 4 banger and I'm pretty sure the Altima don't make 100psi regularly like the VQ,s do so don't know how true oil pump pressure has to do with deltap...same filter number even for Acura tl and dozens of other cars and motors and pumps
It's not the oil pressure, it's the oil flow (GPM) through the filter that makes the delta-p across the filter that the bypass valve actuates from. There could be 100 PSI of oil pressure, but a lower flow rate than on another engine that makes 75 PSI of oil pressure but has more oil flow volume out of the pump.

And like I said in a previous post, a filter that is OK to use on a vehicle that has higher requirements (like a higher flow oil pump flow rate) is still OK to use on another vehicle that has less flow rate - like possibly your example of the Infinity V6 to the Altima 4-banger. If a filter can handle the most demanding oiling system out of the 100 of vehicles it can be used on, then it's still going to work on all the other 99 vehicles.

Last edited:
Thanks, this is the first time I have ever tried to use a non-spec oversize filter. The Champ Filtration web site says the Champ branded filter for the Rogue is a PH2876 but it does not list the bypass relief spec at all. And the Champ filter does not look at all like the ST6607, it has a different base plate and the ST6988 has a very different beveled gasket, it is not flat like the PH6607 and ST6607. I will find the time to get to Walmart and exchange the ST's for Fram's. This is not something I need to be monkeying around with.

View attachment 88493View attachment 88494

View attachment 88495

Thanks again.
FRAM 4 lyfe!

One thing that I’ve noticed about the oil filter application’s for my NISSAN is, depending on filter manufacture, the filter could be(using FRAM# as the example) either the 6607 size or 7317 size. The OE NISSAN is 7317 in size but with FRAM it is 6607 size. And with PUROLATOR it is also 7217 in size.

One other detail I forgot in this experiment. My Rogue is still under the Nissan CPO extennded warranty. I think I had better use the OEM style shorty spec 6607 size filter until the extended warranty expires. I don't anticipate any engine problems at all but if something were to happen I would hate to see the claim denied for using an "incorrect part" non spec oil filter. I think it is best to go by the book for now. Thanks again everyone for the help here.

One thing that I’ve noticed about the oil filter application’s for my NISSAN is, depending on filter manufacture, the filter could be(using FRAM# as the example) either the 6607 size or 7317 size. The OE NISSAN is 7317 in size but with FRAM it is 6607 size. And with PUROLATOR it is also 7217 in size.
My research shows the 2015 Altima with 2.5L engine specs the shorty 6607 application size across all manufacturers, Fram, Wix, Purolator and Nissan OEM. Rock Auto listings also show 6607 and equivalents. The OEM shows the Nissan 15208-65FOE to be the spec filter. That from several Nissan OEM parts sites, and it is the equivalent of the shorty 6607.

It is also the same filter used on 2017 Rogue 2.5L that I pulled off with a subsequent to dealer service. After cutting one open I recommend avoiding use that OEM Gonher made filter. I found it has an adbv defect as posted HERE. Several other anecdotes posted this subforum show the identical defect.

6607 spec noted, I bet the 7317 and equivalents will easily fit all those applications.

One other detail I forgot in this experiment. My Rogue is still under the Nissan CPO extennded warranty. I think I had better use the OEM style shorty spec 6607 size filter until the extended warranty expires. I don't anticipate any engine problems at all but if something were to happen I would hate to see the claim denied for using an "incorrect part" non spec oil filter. I think it is best to go by the book for now. Thanks again everyone for the help here.
Even if you used the correctly specified size aftermarket filter, and the oil filter caused an engine problem, the dealership would most likely deny any warranty for the damage. You would have to go after the oil filter manufacturer for compensation.

Last edited:
Even if you used the correctly specified size aftermarket filter, and the oil filter caused an engine problem, the dealership would most likely deny any warranty for the damage. You would have to go after the oil filter manufacture for compensation.
True. I may try the MP7317, they had those at Walmart earlier today. I may go back and pick one up and take my chances on any potential warranty problems. Thanks for pointing that out, I had not considered it.

True. I may try the MP7317, they had those at Walmart earlier today. I may go back and pick one up and take my chances on any potential warranty problems. Thanks for pointing that out, I had not considered it.
It's also true that if you use an aftermarket oil filter that is not specified by the filter maker, they would probably deny warranty also. Most filter maker warranty statements say that. So the riskiest way to go would be to use an aftermarket filter that is not specified for your vehicle.

Well I guess I am taking my chances with it. I just got home from AAP, picked up two Carquest Blue 84356 which are the equivalent to the Fram 7317. I will do my best not to worry about any extended warranty complications. The Fram filters at AAP are way overpriced for what they are. The CQ I bought were $8.38 each with a bundle deal of 5 quarts of Fram Amalie 0W20. I have two synthetic oil changes for about $30.00 each which is not bad but maybe next time I will just use an OE style filter.

Last edited:
The more I think about this the less comfortable I am with using the "incorrect" filter on my Rogue, it would be my luck to do that and have some kind of a problem later that the CPO warranty would easily deny on account of the use of incorrect parts. I used to work for an extended warranty admin and I know they do look for reasons to deny, incorrect parts being a major denial reason. My wife is not exactly crazy about me using incorrect parts on her Rogue, either. I want to keep the what-if's out of my mind and not lose any sleep over this like I have the last couple of nights.

I ordered two PH6607's from Walmart Friday when I was going back and forth on whether to try this oversize filter project. I cancelled the order the same day, being all excited about some things I read about using a bigger filter but it was not until yesterday that I realized it could potentially cause problems with my CPO warranty. Late in the day on Friday WM sent me a message on that order that it may be too late to cancel, and sure enough the order did come through, they were supposed to be here yesterday but were delayed and FedEx delivered them this morning.

I will use the Fram oil I bought and these two PH6607's and probably stick with OEM size filters from now on. I do appreciate all the help and info on this though. I hope this thread will help some other person out who is considering a larger filter.

Back