ST6607 on Honda CR-V 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is the correct area to start this thread.

I have a 2007 Honda CR-V 2.4L. I recently did an oil change, and Walmart says the correct filter for this car is the ST6607. It has the correct thread pitch/size and gasket, so I used it. Meanwhile, the Frams (7317) and OEM Honda filters (A02 made by Fram) and other filters for this application are a bit longer (like a good 20% to a third) than this ST6607.

Are there any negatives to using this shorter filter? I'm more concerned about oil starvation with a shorter filter, particularly at higher RPMs such as getting on the freeway.

I did buy three of them, and I don't know if I should just use up the rest of then, or throw them away and probably buy the orange can for the next oil changes (5k conventional OCI's).

Any input appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, you'll be fine. Many will argue that you need the longer filter for better flow, etc. I think for a 2.4L engine under typical use, the ST is fine. Just change it with each oil change. I've used many ST filters over the past 20 years and have had great results.

Use them up.
The 7317 is the longer version, same threads and gasket size.
If you cut it open, you may be surprised to find the same thimble sized element in the 7317 as the 6607 in some brand lines.
If you have room, the 7317 is your choice next time.
IMO, if you are going the Fram line, opt for the Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MontePrix28

I have a 2007 Honda CR-V 2.4L. I recently did an oil change, and Walmart says the correct filter for this car is the ST6607. It has the correct thread pitch/size and gasket, so I used it. Meanwhile, the Frams (7317) and OEM Honda filters (A02 made by Fram) and other filters for this application are a bit longer (like a good 20% to a third) than this ST6607.

Are there any negatives to using this shorter filter? I'm more concerned about oil starvation with a shorter filter, particularly at higher RPMs such as getting on the freeway.

I did buy three of them, and I don't know if I should just use up the rest of then, or throw them away and probably buy the orange can for the next oil changes (5k conventional OCI's).

Any input appreciated.

Same size filter used on just about every motorcycle/ATV/UTV (much higher rpms).. use it with confidence but like others have said the bigger Fram 7317 or Wix 1356 just feels better.

I use the 7317. As others have posted, the shorter filter is fine.
Of course, you could return them and get the bigger version.

The ST look up says the 6607 is applicable filter because like many/most this tier (value,jobber) filter, 7317 is consolidated to the shorty. Quick lubes and indies do this a SOP. For ~5k mile oci/fci should be just fine. Don't toss. Fyi, 6607 spec size for most Nissans.

As for link above showing an ST7317, looks to me to be the old old Champ made ST. As noted, they had one last go round, gone now.

There won't be any "oil starvation" due to the positive displacement oil pump. There might be a hair more delta-p (like 1 psi) across the filter, but your engine will still get the same oil flow. Nothing to worry about.

I currently have the STP extended life version of the shorty 6607 on my V6 Odyssey and it works fine. No signs of starvation even though my wife routinely hits high RPMs.

Quick lubes have consolidated to this filter(if they aren't using Chinese-made Premium Guard/Ecogard filters) for all Honda/Nissan/Subaru/Mitsu applications. You should be fine, just keep a keen ear out for any startup knock/rattle.

The PH7317 is not even a dollar more than the undersize ST
smile.gif

Any input appreciated.

I would like to update anyone who posted (or is reading this) on what I have done.

In my original post, I left out that once the car is up to operating temperature, it had what I think is an very audible engine knock. It didn't have the low deep sounding knock, but like a lighter but loud knock that would directly change with the RPM speed (such as revving it in the driveway). Definitely not a lifter tick, but also not "the" distinctive deep and almost hurts-to-hear-it-idle knock. I wish I would have taken a video, as I cannot find a same problem sound on youtube. It did sound similar to this, but it was nearly not present at idle only when it was risen from idle.

I removed the ST6607 and put on a Carquest Red R84356 which had been run on the car a few times before (similar to a 7317 size), and the loud knocking sound is no longer present. I still hear some little bottom-ish end tick noise, even when in the car, which I don't think was present before the last oil change (about 750 miles ago on the ST6607). I do think that there now is internal engine damage from it. It could have been present before and I didn't notice it because the car has been mostly internally perfect (so I didn't pay too much attention to noise) it's entire life, but I really don't think it was there before the oil change. The car has ~213k miles on it which is high, but it's a Honda so unfortunately it could go much further. It will probably be run until it fails. I will probably change from a 5w20 to 5w30 or 40 next oil change.

I assume that it was a defective ST6607 filter. Thankfully I understand what sounds you should not hear, so I was able to change it out before catastrophic damage occurred. I did have two more on the shelf, but I have since thrown them away.

It's too bad you didn't save the filter, cut it open, and post pics. To be responsible for the kind of noise noted and implied damage, imo filter would have shown any defect, if present. Highly unlikely the size of the filter itself (6607vs7317) responsible for any issue.

^^^ Yep, probably coincidental unless there was an actual major flaw in the filter. Anything can start going wrong with 213K miles on an engine.

Agree: Would like to have seen filter, if it was the cause then it was defective as the small filter isn't a problem - Honda (via HAMP) even has a comparable sized filter.

Isn't there a problematic chain tensioner on some K24?

Believe so duckryder...

Timing chain was a issue for that motor.

I agree with Zee about the mileage part too...

Though I have 276k miles on my VQ... Rolling large man
lol.gif

I actually had enough confidence in my car that this past Friday I took a road trip to the Blue Ridge mts... 400 mile round trip up there and back home. Took Rte 6 west from Richmond all the way to Afton mtn. Blue Ridge parkway to the road that goes right past Wintergreen. Rte 151 south for a bit then got on to Rte 60 and headed east back home. By the way it was 82 degrees at 3,200 ft elevation. A very nice easy driving trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
It's too bad you didn't save the filter, cut it open, and post pics. To be responsible for the kind of noise noted and implied damage, imo filter would have shown any defect, if present. Highly unlikely the size of the filter itself (6607vs7317) responsible for any issue.

I do still have the filter! I'd be willing to ship it to someone to be cut open if they'd like to! I bought three of the ST6607's, threw away the unused two because I was so annoyed at the time with the filter.

I don't necessarily blame it on it's short size, I'm sure there's plenty of Hondas running it right now.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Agree: Would like to have seen filter, if it was the cause then it was defective as the small filter isn't a problem - Honda (via HAMP) even has a comparable sized filter.

Isn't there a problematic chain tensioner on some K24?

Yes, this problem happened because if you follow the Honda Maintenance Minder, it runs (or for this car at least) 8-10k mile oil changes on conventional oil. Honda admitted the long conventional OCIs recommended by the MM was the issue. The timing chain & tensioner and all those goodies were replaced at 120k on this car.

Since it has been out of warranty, it has been changed every 3-5k with Conventional 5W-20 and there have been no issues with it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep, probably coincidental unless there was an actual major flaw in the filter. Anything can start going wrong with 213K miles on an engine.

It could very well be coincidence, but as I said in my original follow up (bottom of Page 1) this didn't make any weird noises beforehand. The only internal engine issue was the timing chain and tensioner and stuff, which was replaced nearly 100,000 miles ago.

---

It has been a couple days since the filter was replaced with the CarQuest one, and the noise seems to have disappeared for whatever reason (slight noise remained for ~2 days after filter change) or is barely audible. I did not drain the oil since it's so new, just swapped the filter.

I will run 5W-30 in the future on this car (also what the overseas manual calls for).

I hope I answered everyone's questions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back