ST Dino (XOM) valve train noise....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the combination of moly, friction modifiers and even the VII selection in Havoline that produces the quiet engine effect.

And engine design plays a role here, also, as in some designs,the lubricant is exposed to more mechanical shear & noise producing components.

I haven't used a synthetic in my Jeep yet, but I'm using Havoline 10W30 now and it's running like it was new, and pretty quiet for a 4.0.
I'll do a UOA next month and see how it did.

First let me state that this is not intended to be another thread bashing on Mobil products because of engine noise, just a post looking for feedback from anyone who has or has not experienced this. I ran Mobil 1 EP in my wife's 02 PT Cruiser earlier this year and got the infamous valve train chatter. I had no problem with the oil in one of our other cars, but the Cruiser had the noise. I then moved to Havoline dino for the clean phase of an ARX treatment and the noise disappeared. Now I have put in the XOM version of Supertech dino for the clean phase and the noise is back. I have no doubt that the level of protection is there, however I was just looking for feedback if anyone else had experience this with the dino versions of XOM oils. I know the "noise" issue has be long discussed regarding the synthetic M1 products, but has anyone had the same experience with XOM Superflo, ST dino or any other XOM dino variants? Secondly, does anyone know the chemical reason why this noise is present with XOM products, but not with others? Thanks in advance for any feedback.....

what's XOM?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
XOM=Exxon Mobil Corp

Thanks uconn. Jeepman, I've noticed more valvetrain noise using ST in an '00 Voyager, FWIW. Previous oil used was Havoline dino.

Maybe it's your batch.
dunno.gif
I've actually found that ST oils quiet my engines...even my Jeeps with non-adjustable valvetrains. Same goes for my use of Superflo.

My old Sentra had a soft popping sound coming from the top end when I was using Superflo. Tried Havoline this time and the sound is gone. I feel the sound is harmless, but I don't think the blotter test looked too good so I changed to Havoline.

quote:

Originally posted by jeepman:
First let me state that this is not intended to be another thread bashing on Mobil products because of engine noise, just a post looking for feedback from anyone who has or has not experienced this. I ran Mobil 1 EP in my wife's 02 PT Cruiser earlier this year and got the infamous valve train chatter. I had no problem with the oil in one of our other cars, but the Cruiser had the noise. I then moved to Havoline dino for the clean phase of an ARX treatment and the noise disappeared. Now I have put in the XOM version of Supertech dino for the clean phase and the noise is back. I have no doubt that the level of protection is there, however I was just looking for feedback if anyone else had experience this with the dino versions of XOM oils. I know the "noise" issue has be long discussed regarding the synthetic M1 products, but has anyone had the same experience with XOM Superflo, ST dino or any other XOM dino variants? Secondly, does anyone know the chemical reason why this noise is present with XOM products, but not with others? Thanks in advance for any feedback.....

Are you sure the supertech you have is from XOM? I thought they stopped making SuperTech?

From what you say it seems your engine likes slightly more robust (thick) oils. If your engine likes Havoline, then that's what i would stick with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back