ST 4967

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put one of these on my Corolla and filled it with Mobil 0w-40. I had originally planned to use a Fram EG for the longer OCI I want to run but when I went to put it on the car it refused to thread. How long would you guys run this filter? Its about 1/3 shorter then the Havoline(purolators) I've been using.

I run them 7-8k miles in my Corolla.

Cut open everyone and my UOAs come back excellent.

Excellent filter. Use with NO WORRIES.
01.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: brian12
How long would you guys run this filter?

Not 1 mile when one can get a wix/ng for the same to little more $$ and have a real filter,the ones i cut open are scary man.

far from excellent,,a M1 or Eao or P1 or upf etc,etc is excellent,not a st.

I've been running them on both our Corolla's lately (00/05). Never had a threading issue. About 5K OCI's, no problems. I'll be going to Wix though because I can get them for a little more. No complaints about the Supertech's though.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: brian12
How long would you guys run this filter?

Not 1 mile when one can get a wix/ng for the same to little more $$ and have a real filter,the ones i cut open are scary man.

far from excellent,,a M1 or Eao or P1 or upf etc,etc is excellent,not a st.

Show me the bad filter...

toyotafilters0uj.jpg

To the OP. I stand by what I said. Unlike others, I've used them and cut open each and every one.

And here is the good Wix I used. (I had a bad one also)

wixtoyota7500lv4.jpg

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Show me the bad filter...

ok...

you have the older version when they were a tad better with steel end caps,the new one's(e-core) today at my store suck,[censored] glue job and super thin/lacking media.

..nice glue job.tears off very easly, you can have 'em.

DSC01130.png

oh and i cut all mine open too.
wink.gif

The ST4967 is NOT a ecore. Never was and for now never will be. Only the larger ones are.

The smaller ones (7317, 4967, 6607) all have end caps.

Here is a few photos of ecores. (I have many threads and photos, never any end caps not glued. Each and every one took effort to pull them off)

img0225a0pd.jpg

img0220a4mp.jpg

img0219a7lb.jpg

Here is a shot of a new one. Look at the bottom, all the ends are welded to the end cap..

st3675g1bu.jpg

Again, I've run many of these over the years and never a problem.

Also, to repeat... ST4967 has ONLY metal end caps. So does the ST7317 and ST6607.

Bill

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Hey Bill, is that an older ST4967? The ones I've been using look different on the outside.
In the photo above, yes that is a older one.

The newer ones are the same inside, different label.

Ecores are only used, as Bill said, in 3" diameter filters or larger. Unless they've added a new line, all other filters of <3" are now "blue button" bypass valve filters.

I don't think the ST 4967 comes in an e-core.
I preferred them when they had the spring instead of the current blue-circle but i would use them with no worries for 5K.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I don't think the ST 4967 comes in an e-core.
I preferred them when they had the spring instead of the current blue-circle but i would use them with no worries for 5K.

You are correct. The 4967, 6607 and 7317 (those are the one I use the most and KNOW for a FACT) are all non-Ecore

But I run Ecores in my Moms Chevy and Uncles PT cruiser with never a problem. And I do open each and every one.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Has anybody used the oversized ST 3614 equivalent in a Corolla?

Nope, never felt there was a need. The 4967 works like it should. If Toyota felt there was a need to run a larger filter, they would have spec'd it IMO.

Take care, Bill

Bill, thanks for posting the pics!!!! Being from Mizzou(not), a picture is worth at least 1000 words, for a show me guy. As Tony says They'reee Grrreatt!
LOL.gif

Seriously though, they are. And some great info on ecore-non ecore. I use 7317 non and 3614 ecore. I prefer the 7317 design BUT I'm using a ST3614 right now, with no worries. I just prefer the metal endcap design.

Now, explain the reasoning for ecore on larger ST's and non on smaller ST's? Just curious.

Lots of good information about ST filters in this thread.
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks Bill and Gary.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Now, explain the reasoning for ecore on larger ST's and non on smaller ST's? Just curious.

Lots of good information about ST filters in this thread.
thumbsup2.gif

A little reading for you!

Ecore press release

More info on Ecores

And with photos!

The reason for the smaller filters not yet being ecore is prob cost to switch over the line.

Like I said, Ecore ARE good filters.

Take care, Bill

The rhetoric from Champ is, as Bill has said, that they must be of 3" diameters or larger. All the non-ecores should be 2.9" or <

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back