Squirrels in the attic

So I put two traps in the attic on Monday. I check the traps yesterday evening and there are 3 squirrels in one trap! How the heck that happened I don't know? The plan is to now use a deterrent to prevent any from going in the attic. We will then work on sealing up the areas while continually keeping eyes open for any in the attic.

So I put two traps in the attic on Monday. I check the traps yesterday evening and there are 3 squirrels in one trap! How the heck that happened I don't know? The plan is to now use a deterrent to prevent any from going in the attic. We will then work on sealing up the areas while continually keeping eyes open for any in the attic.
Reset the trap there could be more.

Grey squirrels. I ordered a ultrasonic device to mount up in the attic for the interim to deter until it can be sealed up properly. I will have that today so another trip up to inspect and mount the device.

I asked this same question about a year and a half ago. I only had one squirrel in my attic but it chewed several holes in the fireplace casing to get inside. I would patch one hole and it would chew another. I finally caught it in a trap. It chewed on several wires in the attic and actually chewed a hole in my kitchen ceiling. Insurance did not cover a thing.

I had a new roof put on last year and had the squirrel damage repaired at the same time. I now hate squirrels.

we only have red squirrels here so far and they don't seem to be any bother at all I had one car come in for a service and the entire air box was filled with walnuts but that's the total extend of red squirrel nuisance so far. The entry to the airbox is too small for anything bigger to get through (the walnuts barely fitted) so I know it wasn't a grey.

Any of you have trouble with red squirrels?

We had a skunk in the attic at our 100 year old Home Stead ranch
located in wild next to the resort town of Clear Lake Oaks Ca... The
skunk would climb up between the walls to feast on the cat food in the
attic... My Dad hatched a plan to end the pest... first he news papered
the attic floor and centered the pan of food upon... next he loaded his 12
gauge shot gun with low base shells... and finally he opened the attic
windows... late that night we took a whiff and said mercy that ain't
no rose... get the shotgun and hold your nose... We scaled the stairs
and took our planned positions... We could hear the skunk clawing
his way toward us... My dad took aim and waited for the skunk to begin
eating... WHOM!!! he fired... the noise was deafening... the smoke was
blinding... BBs ricocheting off the walls... the skunk was stopped
dead in his tracks by a direct head shot... mercy our olfactory was
spared... I quickly rolled the whole bloody mess up in the papers and
tossed it out the window... All in all it worked... our furry little
guest and potential room evacuator had been exterminated...

PluthRanchHome2.JPG

Last edited:
I have one squirrel in my attic as seen on my camera. But I only see him once every few days.
He has not gone into my Havaheart trap.

Does anyone know if the squirrels come and go on a daily basis or once in they stick around?

I have two new Nutone roof vents for bathroom fans. They have an insect screen and a flap as a damper. Anyone seen the squirrels crew their way into one?

One trick I learned to see if they still come in your house - and you know their entry point - is to cover and tape the entry point with newspaper. If it's not disturbed for a couple days then you know they aren't in your house anymore and it's safe to shore up the entry points.

You are going to need to go into the attic to inspect what is up there. I thought I had three it turned out to be five. I spent $250 worth of materials and 4 days repairing the damage. I have a few more hours fixing the attic insulation and it's done. I can hear the other squirrels laughing in the distance.

One trick I learned to see if they still come in your house - and you know their entry point - is to cover and tape the entry point with newspaper. If it's not disturbed for a couple days then you know they aren't in your house anymore and it's safe to shore up the entry points.
I tried using that expanding foam only to find mice don't mind chewing through. But. The mess made behind was a good clue as to where they were getting in. I wadded up some steel wool and mixed that in with the replacement foam, and I think that fixed that hole.

I tried using that expanding foam only to find mice don't mind chewing through. But. The mess made behind was a good clue as to where they were getting in. I wadded up some steel wool and mixed that in with the replacement foam, and I think that fixed that hole.

The sell the foam that has pepper mixed in. Hopefully the mice will not like pepper. And also copper (maybe its bronze or brass, non rusting) wool as steel wool will rust and look ugly.

Back