Squirrels in the attic

Wahhhhh....I have some squirrels in the Mancave attic. They have been in there for about 2 weeks now. There originally was three of them and I managed to catch one with a trap. The other two are either too smart for the trap or I am doing something wrong. I have 3 traps up there now with peanut butter and some sunflower seeds on top. Thoughts, suggestions on getting these pesky creatures out?

Have you figured out how they got in, and are working to correct that as well?

And yes, you likely need to get a professional involved before it becomes more expensive.

Examine crotches along your roof where angles come together. Gives them a place to sit while they chew their way in. Also eave vents that are old and brittle are favorite entry points. If they’re going in and out your traps will be less desirable to them and thus less effective. Plenty of professional alternatives.

Wahhhhh....I have some squirrels in the Mancave attic. They have been in there for about 2 weeks now. There originally was three of them and I managed to catch one with a trap. The other two are either too smart for the trap or I am doing something wrong. I have 3 traps up there now with peanut butter and some sunflower seeds on top. Thoughts, suggestions on getting these pesky creatures out?

I will not kill animals to get them out but use humane traps and when they don't work there are alternatives. Peppermint oil seems to drive them out, they cant stand it. Use only real peppermint oil (Mentha piperita) many are just scented corn oil and useless, soak a cotton ball with some of the oil and place them it on a jar lid anywhere you do not want them.
Squirrels do not like apple cider vinegar, put some in a spray bottle and spray it outside where they are getting in.

Whatever you do never use a sticky trap for any animal eg mouse, they are the cruelest and most inhumane thing there is and honestly should be banned.

This oil works..

Left your snacks out after a rough night?
I would check perimeter for how they are getting in, and set up traps inside to catch and kill them .
If I ever have a trap inside with an animal I would put the trap with animal Inside a big duffel bag to bring outside to dispose.

Agree. Sticky traps are cruel. Search for and correct entry points during the day. Squirrels will be out and about at that time. When they return to spend another night they’ll be locked out.

I evicted squirrels from my attic. They came in the same time every evening. So I set up a chair outside to see where they were coming in. With some patience I saw the entry point. Next day I took care of it.

Another trick is to soak some rags or tennis balls with ammonia and toss them in the attic. That'll drive them out.

Just like vehicles, rodents will chew house wiring.
Therefore you have to get them out of the attic somehow.
I agree that repellant / relocation is best.

Of note: The electrical inspector for my town told me that decades ago the Romex manufacturers added a green strip on the plastic jacket - it is actually a rodent repellent. He said it helps, but is no guarantee.

If you didn't deny entry and released the captured rodent within a mile from the attic it's already back up there. Patch holes and continue with the trap.

Squirrels can be bad in an attic. I have a family member who got one in her attic last year, it chewed the PEX piping in a bunch of different spots, flooded the house, ruined the floor, water was running down the walls etc. She had to have the piping replaced with copper once they got rid of the squirrel and solved where it was coming in. Insurance didn't cover anything, cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Squirrel season opened here in La. yesterday. So, choot 'em and make you a squirrel gumbo or jambalaya. AIEEEEEEE!

Indeed, Squirrels are essentially rats with bushy tails. You can chase them out of the house but they ARE going to come back if not in weeks in months.
The only effective solution is to terminate them permanently.

Bought a sticky trap at HD last year and returned it after seeing what the mouse went through before it died. Removed the carcass but even so the lady at the service desk was very distraught. Since we have a very old house with a granite foundation shooting squirrels is the only solution. Trapping and moving them only curses someone else.

I have two traps up there now. They have peanut butter and apples in them. The one was relocated about 8 miles away. I know how they got in so once they are out that will be fixed. I have sprayed peppermint and will up the concentration of it if the traps fail.

My neighbor two-doors down just had a company over to fix some of the trim on her house. The squirrels literally ate their way into her attic. Do what you can to discourage their visits immediately. Worst case scenario is they sink their teeth into something that will later start a fire.

My neighbor two-doors down just had a company over to fix some of the trim on her house. The squirrels literally ate their way into her attic. Do what you can to discourage their visits immediately. Worst case scenario is they sink their teeth into something that will later start a fire.

Sounds like the second one is in the trap. Once they are all out and I seal it up I will check the wires.

Reactions: SWS
We had squirrels do thousands of $$ damage to two cars we have a couple years ago, one was brand new other close to it :(

They are a nuisance pest around here.

One ate up the wires in my car but thankfully my car killed it when I started it and it got stuck in the belt, but it did a ton of damage to the wires and I had to replace the pulley and belt and have it cleaned to get rid of the smell :( Other car they ate up the wires and had to get it towed to the shop to have it fixed...

We had racoons do over 10k in damage to our roof/attic 2x in a place we had up north, we relocated them and they came back, so we shot them off the roof one night from a blind set up in the yard ;)

Back