Spraying bulk Cosmoline?

I've seen a few threads espousing Cosmoline 342 for vehicle rust protection. Looks like good stuff, definitely direct competition with Amsoil HDMP that many like. Browsing their website and found they offer both RP-342 as well as RP-342 Black in bulk packaging. Has anybody sprayed this? I'm not sure if its thick enough to use my undercoating gun or if I would need more of a paint sprayer.

We used cosmoline a lot at the machine shop I used to work at, the stuff is pretty thick, if we didn’t thin it out we’d use paint brushes and paint rollers. When we would spray it we’d mix it with naphtha to get the desired viscosity and use a spray bottle.

I can’t imagine how this stuff would spray in bulk, because even in cans (where it is cut with something to thin it out) it still sprays on thick. It’s like liquid wax. Love the stuff

Based on what I've read, you'd need an undercoating gun for it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about using it. It's about 2x the cost of something like woolwax, but if it hangs around 2x longer, it's worth it.

The only issue I have is fluid film or woolwax is a natural product where based on cosmoline's SDS, it's a hydrocarbon/petroleum product with 50-85% unnamed "customer supplied product". Not sure how the petroleum products would fare on soft parts the spray is going to get on.

I use the Fluid Film aerosol. A few years ago I bought a case of 12 cans n eBay 11.75 ounces each, for $84.50 with a $5 gift card tossed in. It goes on right out of the can and sticks, there are some drips, but you would get that with an air gun too.

A couple years ago I did the whole frame and undercarriage with Corroseal paint that is holdng up well. You still need to do touch ups because that is more of a thick paint not an oil- or wax type product.

I use the Fluid Film aerosol. A few years ago I bought a case of 12 cans n eBay 11.75 ounces each, for $84.50 with a $5 gift card tossed in. It goes on right out of the can and sticks, there are some drips, but you would get that with an air gun too.

A couple years ago I did the whole frame and undercarriage with Corroseal paint that is holdng up well. You still need to do touch ups because that is more of a thick paint not an oil- or wax type product.
The Fluid Film in bulk goes on much thicker, and lasts much longer. I use the Fluid Film in the can for body cavities and tight spots. That’s just my experience, sounds like it’s working good for you though.

Reactions: JTK
Fluid film comes off way easy. Cosmoline is a wax you can pressure wash for 30 min straight and it doesn’t come off. Fluid film is a joke compared to cosmo.

To answer the original question….you can also easily spray it. See here.

I ordered a gallon of black. I’ll be spraying soon with automotive style gun. Upstate NY. Brutal road salt winters here.

I know from experience cosmoline does not play well with vehicles that have established oil spray and are build up with soot. But what if I blend them from scratch? Will the FF hold up better? Will the cosmoline creep better? I'm going to find out on one of my $500 cars. One side cosmoline on first then FF before it dried. The other side is the opposite, FF on 1st. See what happens.

Attachments

• 20211118_125854.jpg
    20211118_125854.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 22
Back