Corrosion prevention on exposed threads

Wondering what the best corrosion protection on some exposed threads would be? I guess the two competing concepts I have would be either spraying them with Amsoil HDMP or spraying them with some rust oleum spray paint. I guess we could look at fluid film, Grease, or other things but I feel like the two listed above are the best choices.

I use AMSOIL HDMP for all of my exposed threads on the underside of my cars. Works wonders and last several years under a car.

I just did a suspension job on my wife’s 11 year old Subaru (only 2 applications of AMSOIL HDMP over the 11 years). Everything came apart easily without the need for penetrating oil. I did the same job on a colleague’s 10 year old Subaru that did not benefit from the AMSOIL HDMP, everything was much more difficult and we snapped the head off of one knuckle bolt.

Location might factor in.
I wish "rubbery, friction fit things" were available. A smear of grease and on they'd go.
They’re pretty cheap, pack of 100 that’ll cover 1/4-5/16” up to 1” long is $6.05.

FAEFE4C1-53D6-4135-8DD8-F21A6707A00C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a copper electrical corrosion paste. Get it in your clothes and it won't come out but whatever part I put it on it's still there when I look again. great for disc brake pins.

Corrosion X, "Max Wax" is a CiC that is about the best there is. It forms a waxy coating, hence the name. It will hold up remarkably well. It puts Boeshield to shame in real world applications.

I use Eastwood aerosol corrosion inhibitor. I have some fasteners under my Camry that I coated with the wax like material in 2004 still in place. Not the perfect solution but works for me. Comes in amber and black.

It depends upon how much spray it is exposed to.

Cold zinc spray, grease, paint, wax spray, lanolin, or some combo.

It depends upon how much spray it is exposed to.

Cold zinc spray, grease, paint, wax spray, lanolin, or some combo.

A lot. These will be fuel tank skid plate bolts on a daily driver in the salt belt. I’ve decided to lightly paint them with rust oleum prior to install and then spray them with HDMP after install.

A lot. These will be fuel tank skid plate bolts on a daily driver in the salt belt. I’ve decided to lightly paint them with rust oleum prior to install and then spray them with HDMP after install.
Yeah that’s a good option. I’d also consider cold zinc spray.

S100 16300A Total Cycle Corrosion Protectant Aerosol - 7.2 oz.​

Attachments

• 61qfYndIf1L._AC_SY879_.jpg
    61qfYndIf1L._AC_SY879_.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
Anything is better than nothing.

Wondering what the best corrosion protection on some exposed threads would be? I guess the two competing concepts I have would be either spraying them with Amsoil HDMP or spraying them with some rust oleum spray paint. I guess we could look at fluid film, Grease, or other things but I feel like the two listed above are the best choices.
Since you mention threads specifically... I'll throw out a different thing... Vibra-Tite Threadmate. It coats the threads with a re-usable (a few times, anyway) coating that is intended to reduce backing out (like Loctite). I've found it to be a good rust and corrosion preventative, as well.

Back