Sporty Convertible Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
05-09 Mustang Vert. They are getting cheaper and are great cars. If he wants the power he can go GT for around 15K with decent mileage. And he can customize it more than any other car..

+1.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
05-09 Mustang Vert. They are getting cheaper and are great cars. If he wants the power he can go GT for around 15K with decent mileage. And he can customize it more than any other car..

+1.

+2

Thanks for all the advice so far.

He had a cruiser, a Roadstar 1700 and also a Motto Guzzi Griso 1200; one for long hauls, one for fun (he did use the cruiser much more). The issue with BMW is not finding one, he is just worried about servicing and parts locally. He likes the Z4, but something like the 3 Series is "too much like a sedan" for him (I think he is looking for a specific look). I heard him mention the S2000, but I am not sure why he hasn't looked at it more seriously. How's that car for long drives? How's the trunk?

It's good to hear that C6's seem to be reliable. He looked at a couple of base models with the 3LT option group he liked. He does like the Miata a lot too, and would buy one brand new. The only down fall is the car has a really small trunk, not much more cargo room than his big cruiser. How are the Mustang GT's for reliability? He told me he read reports the V6's seem to be more reliable.

To be honest, I know my dad's driving style. He is overall pretty conservative. Every now and then he will drive a little aggressively, but he is not going to start road racing or getting into serious corner carving. He just wants an open top car that looks good, is comfortable and has some spunk to it.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon

He had a cruiser, a Roadstar 1700 and also a Motto Guzzi Griso 1200; one for long hauls, one for fun (he did use the cruiser much more). The issue with BMW is not finding one, he is just worried about servicing and parts locally. He likes the Z4, but something like the 3 Series is "too much like a sedan" for him (I think he is looking for a specific look). I heard him mention the S2000, but I am not sure why he hasn't looked at it more seriously. How's that car for long drives? How's the trunk?

It's good to hear that C6's seem to be reliable. He looked at a couple of base models with the 3LT option group he liked. He does like the Miata a lot too, and would buy one brand new. The only down fall is the car has a really small trunk, not much more cargo room than his big cruiser. How are the Mustang GT's for reliability? He told me he read reports the V6's seem to be more reliable.

To be honest, I know my dad's driving style. He is overall pretty conservative. Every now and then he will drive a little aggressively, but he is not going to start road racing or getting into serious corner carving. He just wants an open top car that looks good, is comfortable and has some spunk to it.

I thought his driving style might be more spirited. If he really just wants a convertible for a highway cruiser the V6 Mustang definitely fits the bill.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I thought his driving style might be more spirited. If he really just wants a convertible for a highway cruiser the V6 Mustang definitely fits the bill.

If the man owned a Moto Guzzi then he can appreciate the sound and feel of a burly, gnarly engine. For that I'd recommend go V-8 for your Mustang or get something else entirely.

The V-6 in the Mustang is good enough, but in my mind half the experience is hearing the fantastic exhaust note when the top is down. The V-6 just can't compete here.

From everything you've said about your dad, including coming from motorcycling, conservative driving with occasional aggressiveness and wants looks with comfort.....I would say for the money (value) a used latest model of the Mazda Miata MX5 would be a great match. I used to rides bikes and found cars a bore to drive....although comfortable. Then I tried a Miata one day. I was astounded how fun the car was. It honestly put a smile on my face.....the first time I'd smiled operating a vehicle since motorcycling. I bought it that day and loved owning that car immensely. It was a 2007 model. Fantastic handling, perfect power and control on twisty roads (for my style of driving), very comfortable, and in the choice of color I had....very attractive to look at. Since having to sell that car (financial crisis with economy...decided to cut out any unnecessary cars) I have not driven or owned any convertibles I've thought were even half as fun (including a newer Mustang GT). Anything bigger just felt bulky (especially coming from motorcycling). That Miata was like a big motorcycle in a way. My Miata had the 6 speed manual. Great car....great fun.

...I heard him mention the S2000, but I am not sure why he hasn't looked at it more seriously. How's that car for long drives? How's the trunk?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the S2000 was designed to hold a fully outfitted set of golf clubs in a golf bag it can also hold enough luggage for my wife, dog, and myself to go on a weekend trip. Based on his driving style he'd definitely want a '04+ due to the much broader torque curve, though it probably offers more performance than he will use it's still Honda reliable as they really over-built the engines (especially the 2.2), however the seats (while awesomely supportive) won't be as comfortable for long trips as those in a Mustang, for example, and you sit very low to the ground. If his style is generally sedate, there's nothing wrong with a Mustang if he buys it new.

Last edited:
He does like the Miata a lot too, and would buy one brand new. The only down fall is the car has a really small trunk, not much more cargo room than his big cruiser.

Below is a packed Miata trunk. I'm not sure about you, but that looks like luggage for 2 people on a week long trip to me.

ag_07miata_trunkfull.jpg

Originally Posted By: glock19
He does like the Miata a lot too, and would buy one brand new. The only down fall is the car has a really small trunk, not much more cargo room than his big cruiser.

Below is a packed Miata trunk. I'm not sure about you, but that looks like luggage for 2 people on a week long trip to me.

ag_07miata_trunkfull.jpg

Looks that way to me, too. And he could get one brand new.

Thanks guys for the information, great help. Sorry gofast, I missed your info on the S2000 trunk earlier. His daily driver is a Honda Civic coupe, and I know he loves the reliability of that car.

Glock, that Miata trunk sure holds a lot more than it looks like. We went to the dealer last month to look at one a brand new GX. The trunk looked really tiny, but I guess it holds more than it appears it can.

As for sound, I know he would like something that sounds aggressive, especially after having the Guzzi (I not a bike guy, but man that was a sweet sounding bike).

Any other input is appreciated on any of the cars mentioned or on any others people can think of.

That's the perfect-sized trunk. The wife won't be able to go shopping while on a trip! On the downside, you'll have to put your dirty clothes back in your suitcase.

As for sound, I know he would like something that sounds aggressive, especially after having the Guzzi (I not a bike guy, but man that was a sweet sounding bike).

Very tough to beat the sound of a F series engine screaming up through VTEC at 8,000 RPM, it's both aggressive and precise. Provided it has a stock exhaust the sound will be quiet at low RPM and really come alive up in the rev. range.

The S2000 is a bigger car than the Miata and consequently has a slightly bigger trunk. The nice thing about the Miata though is they use a cam/strut design so there aren't gooseneck hinges going down into the trunk space.

Why not a Can Am Spyder?

It's 3/4 of a convertible. Front trunk space is small but he can add on bags if he wants.

Has stability control and ABS.

Rotax V-twin.

3 points define a plane. 4 is redundant....okay, I'm reaching there.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back