Sponsor dropped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGK

Was watching recording of Horsepower TV where they were building a big engine (I think it was a 460 Ford). When it came time to put oil in it, the plastic bottle that was barely visible was silver with a black label on the back. Normally on that show they say what oil brand they are using. I think it was either a Mobil 1 or Valvoline bottle this time around. Did their Royal Purple sponsorship go away?

Hi,
Superflop - You said:
"kinda odd breaking in an engine with synth dont ya think? or am i still a lil too old school?"

Many engines are factory filled with synthetic lubricants

Porsche have used a synthetic engine lubricant as their Factory fill since 1992. Many other engine manufacturers use either a synthetic or semi-synthetic lubricant as their factory fill and some even use one of those as their cold (first) start lubricant on the asssembly line. This is as much to do with obtaining known flow to "actuators" at first start as anything else

I have used synthetic lubricants on new engines with great effect for some decades. In some cases (heavy diesel engines) the break-in/settle down period may be longer but then so will the engine's life if linear wear rates applied!

Using an incorrect specification lubricant at break-in can lead to serious engine issues!

Last edited:
Doug,

Would you recommend leaving in FF for the full OCI duration recommended by the manufacturer then and not dumping it early like most do here?

Originally Posted By: BGK
Was watching recording of Horsepower TV where they were building a big engine (I think it was a 460 Ford). When it came time to put oil in it, the plastic bottle that was barely visible was silver with a black label on the back. Normally on that show they say what oil brand they are using. I think it was either a Mobil 1 or Valvoline bottle this time around. Did their Royal Purple sponsorship go away?

They don't always use RP. I have seen them use GM oil before and I believe Valvoline. RP is still listed as a sponsor. May have been an older epsiode( repeat )that was filmed before RP came out with their new Break In Oil last year? Again, they do not always run RP.

They may not always run RP, but I watch the show every weekend and every time they fill the engine is seems the majority of the time (99%) they are using RP products.

Hi,
StevieC - It largely depends on the FF and the comments made by the vehicle's manufacturer. In general terms "yes", leave it in for at least two thirds of the recommended first change point - or the full distance - if no special conditions apply

My recent visit to the Mercedes Benz engine assembly plant at Unterturkheim in Stuttgart confirms this!

There is no evidence that early OCs have a positive effect on engine life. In some cases changing the engine's lubricant early may indeed have a negative effect!

Thanks Doug! I was in Stuttgart a couple of years back (have family living close by) I should have gone for a tour.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back