Spirit Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fly Spirit airlines a lot, as they have a flight out of Niagara Falls NY that goes to Fort Lauderdale and it's very cheap, we've flown round trip for as low as $90 each. We travel light (just a small backpack each) so we never pay extra for baggage. Their customer service is hit and miss, one time our flight got cancelled from Florida to NY because of bad weather and they told us they couldn't get us on another flight for a full week! That's the problem with having only one flight per day that goes from Fort Lauderdale to Niagara. They did refund us the entire cost of our tickets (not just the return portion) so we were able to book a flight with Allegiance out of Punta Gorda the next day (and that ticket cost us roughly the same as our Spirit refund)

We also had one instance on a flight where my wife hit the call button to ask for a bottle of water, and nobody came so she went to the back of the plane and found the flight attendant asleep! When we later complained to Spirit about this, they gave us a free flight voucher, so we used it to fly from Detroit to Las Vegas a few months later. And on that flight, we somehow got bumped up to the first row seating for free (wider seats with tons of leg room in front), even though we checked in at the airport just a short time before the flight. So we definitely enjoyed that!

We will continue to use Spirit for our Florida trips because it's not only the best price around but the timing of the flight works out awesome for short trips because it leaves Niagara at 2:30 am and arrives in Fort Lauderdale at 5:30am, so the first day of our trip ends up being a full day, not a half day like most flights that would have you arriving in the early afternoon. The return flight home leaves Fort Lauderdale at 11pm, so that means the last day of the trip is also a full day. So this type of flight works out perfectly for us when we're doing a short 4 day trip to Florida (like we've done every February for the past 4 years) I always hate it when the first day and the last day of my trips get wasted due to travelling. I have no trouble sleeping on the plane (or in the airport before the flight leaves) in order to get the most out of my vacation time.

My experience with booking on Air Asia which is a LCC in that region is that you have to be careful and verify everything. Booking online, all the extras are checked for you which adds to the price so you must unselect those boxes to get the lower price. If you refresh your screen or go back to change something, the boxes get rechecked again.

I prefer to fly legacy carriers only and I do.

I think people assume air line ticket means the same thing when picking cheapest fare on a website. They skip over details like bags and carryons etc.

I like the new airline fare structures.

I think the search engines for fares need additional parameters like carry on and x checked in luggage to give proper airline fares to customer when they choose through a list.

So... If you don't pay the seat fee, do you sit on the floor (or cargo compartment, or wing)? What a ridiculous fee!

Originally Posted by wag123
So... If you don't pay the seat fee, do you sit on the floor (or cargo compartment, or wing)? What a ridiculous fee!

They call it "unbundling" which IMHO is another word for bait and switch. I survived the trip and while I cannot say 'never again', I will avoid them like the plague.

I've flown on Spirit a number of times and not had a bad experience. A few points.
If you want cheap transportation and can do away with amenities you can't beat the price. I've flown from Vegas to Oakland for $24 and change, most of that being government fees. That was with no reserved seat (avoiding the completely optional seat fee, which varies depending on which row you select), and no bags, except for one carry on not allowed in the overhead bin.
I've also flown longer legs like Vegas to Portland OR where I paid for reserved seats in a desirable row with more leg room and had a checked bag. Cost was still much lower than the other carriers even with these fees.
If you want a better experience with a decent assigned seat, have a lot of baggage, love airline food, and don't mind paying more, by all means avoid Spirit. If you are paying for it yourself and are willing to make a small sacrifice to save a lot of money you should consider them if they service your route.

Originally Posted by HorseThief
I don't care how few seats there are - if you are in an A320, you're uncomfortable. I felt claustrophobic when I peeked into the cockpit. It looked like the pilots have it almost as bad as the passengers.

Hmmm...

Your "peek" has little merit. I flew the A320 for several years.

One of the nicest narrowbody cockpits on the market. Roomy. Comfortable. Ergonomic. Quiet.

Far better than the 737, for example.

Speaking of which, the fuselage on the A320 is a foot wider than the 737, so if you're on a narrowbody, you WANT the A-320, because every seat is wider than every seat on a 737. Airliner to airliner, then A320 is superior in every way to the 737.

That being said, if we're comparing airlines, Spirit is inferior in nearly every way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back