Spirit Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called back to the hospital and had to come back early from VMworld--I was only there for a few hours. Flights were very limited and I had to fly on Spirit Airlines.

Sooooo...

$324 = airfare fee
$36 = seat fee (no, not an upgrade, a seat to sit in)
$24 = carry-on bag fee
$52 = checked bag fee
$3 = bottled water
$3 = cookies

Frankly, I am surprised they do not charge to use the bathroom. I guess there was no place to mount the card swipe. Lastly, none of the seats recline and the seat back pocket was two bungee cords

Their motto is "The Bare Fare Airline". Uh-huh, kind of like Allstate is the good hands people--the problem is sometimes you only get a finger...

I just booked a flight on Spirit. I paid about $120 airfare plus $14 seat fee, $38 checked bag. Frontier is the same way as Spirit. It is what it is.

It's not uncommon to have to pay to use public toilets in Europe. I had to pay 1 Euro to visit the facilities at CDG airport in Paris and at the Louvre.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I priced out a Spirit flight, but if I remember right, the seat fee isn't totally necessary, that's only to have an assigned seat. You could skip it, but you don't get a choice in seat.

Regardless, I've found the same thing with their flights. The only way it is actually less expensive is for a short weekend trip where you bring very minimal luggage.

Spirit is garbage. They left me stranded in Vegas one time and did not communicate the situation whatsoever.

Never again. I'll fly Delta and Southwest all day long, even if they are more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I just booked a flight on Spirit. I paid about $120 airfare plus $14 seat fee, $38 checked bag. Frontier is the same way as Spirit. It is what it is.

It's not uncommon to have to pay to use public toilets in Europe. I had to pay 1 Euro to visit the facilities at CDG airport in Paris and at the Louvre.

I recently traveled all through the Baltic states. This is true.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Lastly, none of the seats recline

I agree with this, no reason for a domestic coach seat to recline - there's just not enough room for it.

I am OK with it as well, I never recline, just wanted to give full disclosure. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable with minimal padding.

I've never flown Spirit so I had to look this up. The seats look like a city bus!
crazy2.gif

spirit-6.jpg

I begrudgingly bought tickets on Spirit for Labor Day weekend. O'Hare to San Diego, I'm already regretting that decision...

Never ever. I will gladly pay for even a basic economy fare on a major vs. flying Spirit. My comfort is worth whatever asking price they want over spirit's price.

The Delta amex gets me free baggage and priority boarding, so does my United card. Between those and Southwest, I can get almost anywhere in relative comfort with much better IRROPS protection.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Never ever. I will gladly pay for even a basic economy fare on a major vs. flying Spirit. My comfort is worth whatever asking price they want over spirit's price.
The Delta amex gets me free baggage and priority boarding, so does my United card. Between those and Southwest, I can get almost anywhere in relative comfort with much better IRROPS protection.
I have the same, but when then company pays, sometimes you do not have a choice. On a personal flight, there are typically only two airlines I would consider; Delta and United--Spirit would never make that list. The personnel were very friendly as the travel agency made multiple screw-ups and Spirit fixed them but they have far too many restrictions (10lbs less allowed per bag for example) and they essentially nickel and dime you to death. In the end, the price difference between United and Spirit was within $100 and since I would have had economy plus on United, it would have been a no brainer, but you do not know what you do not know. It will not happen again...

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I just booked a flight on Spirit. I paid about $120 airfare plus $14 seat fee, $38 checked bag. Frontier is the same way as Spirit. It is what it is. It's not uncommon to have to pay to use public toilets in Europe. I had to pay 1 Euro to visit the facilities at CDG airport in Paris and at the Louvre.
I recently traveled all through the Baltic states. This is true.
I have been all over the world and it is typically a European thing to charge to use the bathroom, but this is not the point. Spirit nickels and dimes you to death and if one has no idea and **assumes** they are similar to other airlines, then the price looks very attractive (certainly to an employer), but in the end, they are within a close range of the premier airlines except the quality of everything is far removed from the premier airlines.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Lastly, none of the seats recline
I agree with this, no reason for a domestic coach seat to recline - there's just not enough room for it.
I am OK with it as well, I never recline, just wanted to give full disclosure. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable with minimal padding.
I've never flown Spirit so I had to look this up. The seats look like a city bus!
crazy2.gif
spirit-6.jpg

Yes; this was it. Try using that tray table to hold any laptop
cry.gif

Spirit gave me a $100 voucher after they screwed me over in Detroit... I have to use it by November. Where to get screwed next?

If you want to play , you have to pay .

I have only flown a handful of times . Always Southwest . I was not paying .

The seats were a little tight for an old fat man . But it is what it is .

Just used them for a work trip. At work they use a company called Rocketrip and give you a budget for flights, cars, hotels, etc. If you spend less than the budget, I will get half the savings.

Took a direct flight from Detroit to San Diego - Delta was $1000 and Spirit $350. I paid $50 for a carry-on and will pay the same on the return trip. The Rocketrip budget was $1000, and I will spend $450 on Spirit, so $275 is coming my way out of the companies pocket.Even if Spirit charges for water, food, etc., that doesn't come close to the savings and you can always buy the overpriced food at the airport before you board the flight.

I don't care how few seats there are - if you are in an A320, you're uncomfortable. I felt claustrophobic when I peeked into the cockpit. It looked like the pilots have it almost as bad as the passengers.
That being said, spirit got me from Detroit to Tampa in time to say goodbye to my grandmother when no other airline could get me there that quickly and cheaply. Like it or not they're sometimes the only choice. That being said, always pay the extra for an emergency exit row or the "big comfy chair" unless you're a 5ft tall twig.

Since the emergence of ultra low cost competitors - Southwest has become a preferred premium carrier - times have changed a lot.

UD

Yes, they get your attention by displaying a fare that is noticeably lower than others. It's basically "bait and switch". The "fare" is the base and anything you want to do, like have a seat or a bag, is an upcharge. Most of the time you'll end up with the same price as a "normal" airline in the end and sometimes these "discount" airline fares end up being even more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back