Speeding ticket court date etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Years ago I got a reckless driving ticket. I was doing a wheelie and got caught. I went to court and it plead down to basic speed law but I still paid the fine for reckless.

Small world. I'm actually going to Court in about 5 hours for almost same thing. I suppose I'll post the results.

I, of course, representing myself. Since I have to disagree, it is usually the same offer whether you spend hundreds on an attorney or even thousands, retaining an attorney can cost 4 grand for something that can be made a couple hundred dollars fine.. Go in, observe, speak to prosecutor, know if they have evidence or not (read: officer retired from force due to time etc) and play accordingly. Unless it is a hassle for you to have to come back a second time.

We'll see if the offer is good enough for No Contest.

2:25PM

Case dismissed.
No court costs.

Amat. Victoria. Curam.

21.gif

Brush your shoulders off *pops champagne* I'm on my way to imbibe. Maybe.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Years ago I got a reckless driving ticket. I was doing a wheelie and got caught. I went to court and it plead down to basic speed law but I still paid the fine for reckless.

Small world. I'm actually going to Court in about 5 hours for almost same thing. I suppose I'll post the results.

I, of course, representing myself. Since I have to disagree, it is usually the same offer whether you spend hundreds on an attorney or even thousands, retaining an attorney can cost 4 grand for something that can be made a couple hundred dollars fine.. Go in, observe, speak to prosecutor, know if they have evidence or not (read: officer retired from force due to time etc) and play accordingly. Unless it is a hassle for you to have to come back a second time.

We'll see if the offer is good enough for No Contest.

2:25PM

Case dismissed.
No court costs.

Amat. Victoria. Curam.

21.gif

Brush your shoulders off *pops champagne* I'm on my way to imbibe. Maybe.

Here's to the bold. If everyone did this maybe it'd back these slimebag revenue collectors off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You have 3 types posting on traffic ticket threads.

1. Chicken little says you better just plead guilty before you get in more trouble.
2. Inexperienced people say get a lawyer because you're too dumb to figure it out.
3. People that have been there done that. Plead not guilty and let them make you an offer.

#3 is the correct answer
#1 are just trolls
#2 have had that work for them in the past, before the proverbial lightbulb went off and they said "Wait a minute" and the wood burning smell came from thought and became #3.

Quote:

SSI

Around here it's a revenue machine. The cop will almost always appear in court if you go that route and fines are rarely reduced. This is what you get in a state that isn't tax heavy. You're going to pay one way or the other. I liken it to the social form of osmosis.

(People flowing from areas of higher expense to areas of lower expense until the regions equalize. Texas becomes a more expensive place to live by the month. I give it another twenty years or so. It probably won't get to be like California, but we'll see.)

If you come from a more expensive place it's like a windfall. For those of us who've been here for a long time it's somewhat painful.

I usually don't stop when being chased by traffic cops. But these days its not a cat-and-mouse game; I may have to re-consider. Plus cop cars are faster and my car is slower than what I used to drive back in the heyday.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I usually don't stop when being chased by traffic cops. But these days its not a cat-and-mouse game; I may have to re-consider. Plus cop cars are faster and my car is slower than what I used to drive back in the heyday.

LOL. Of course, you can't outrun a radio. Cops and bystanders seem to die semi-regularly around here as a result of chases even though most departments have policies against them.

alright I guess my plan is to go to court and represent myself and enter a not guilty plea and hope i can work out a deal.

If there's any chance the charge I am facing could result in losing my license, I'm hiring an attorney.

well i took your advice and contacted a lawyer today and have a phone appointment with him tomorrow so I guess I'll ask some questions and see what my chances are.

I'd probably talk to a few attorneys to see which one you favor the most and get an estimate for their services. Call your local Bar association and they will give you some referrals. Also pull them up on your state's supreme court listing to see if they ever had any previous complaints against them. Some attorneys are worthless while others are worth the coin. Here's one site to look at:

https://www.wicourts.gov/courts/offices/olr.htm

Many can be similar to used car salesman. Interesting about the phone apt, you would think meeting in person for the free initial consultation would be better. That's what my brother used to do before getting a different job with a university.

Last edited:
You need to talk with someone who has information about WI laws because States can be very different. Call an attorney and get professional advice which is usually free for the first call. Ed

This thread is useless without knowing what happened? It has been over a month!
I hope they didn't lock him up and that's why he has not updated.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
well i took your advice and contacted a lawyer today and have a phone appointment with him tomorrow so I guess I'll ask some questions and see what my chances are.

Good plan. Routine traffic offenses where I'm just facing points and fine, I plead not guilty and go to the court date and have always been successful at getting a deal for no points and a reduced fine, although my best friend is 0 for 3 doing that. But if my license was on the line, I wouldn't take my chances alone. An attorney greatly reduces your chances of getting hit with the full penalty, not only because they network with the judge and prosecutor and police, but because it shows you realize this is serious and are ponying up some cash as a result. Demonstrating recognition of the ramifications of your actions goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back