Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a speeding ticket for doing 82 in a 55mph zone NY State. Court date is Nov 4. Told the cop I wasn't aware that I was going so fast and that it was my girlfriend's first day of work and that I was running a bit late. I'm going to court for this hoping to get a lesser charge. What should I expect on court day and any tips on what to do?

oh btw. first speeding ticket ever
cool.gif

Last edited:
Find a lawyer, so you can get the charge reduced so it won't impact your driving record or insurance. Pay a lot for the lawyer now or a WHOLE LOT later with higher insurance for the next 3 years or so. I learned that back in my foolish days.

First and foremost, dress appropriately(i.e. shirt and tie). Second, it is better to admit fault and not try to "plead" for your ticket to be dropped. Admitting your error will go farther than denying that you didn't know your speed. In addition, I would stress my previously stellar driving record as you stated that this is your first ticket. On the down side, 82 in a 55 is pretty significant; therefore, I would prepare myself mentally to pay the full amount. Figure on trying some defensive driving classes to reduce the impact on your insurance rates.

In California you will get a free ride if the police officer did not show up on the court date. I got my Speeding Ticket dismissed last year because the officer did not come to the court, at the same court date more than 70-80% tickets had been dismissed because of the absent of police officers.

Plead no contest if police officer is in court, but ask for reduce fine and traffic court.

you need a Lawyer NOW!
Look for one that is in that court all the time and he or she should be able to help you...You cant afford to go without a Lawyer, really!
Also the prices they charge has very little to do with anything look for a deal on a good Lawyer dont go with the most expensive

Last edited:
When I got a speeding ticket a year ago tomorrow, we hired a lawyer who took care of everything by mail. Got it reduced to disobeying a traffic device. Total fins, including lawywer fees was ovver $350

Check the speeding ticket and see how many points it will add to your insurance, and check if you can go to traffic school to wave this on your insurance policy (not showing to insurance company).

If it will show up and there is no way of waving it, find a lawyer to represent you. These kind of cases (no injury, no accident, no DUI, etc) usually get dropped if you have a lawyer and you aren't a repeat offender. I was once caught doing 90 in 55 in Florida (don't ask, wife is "late" to something like your situation) and they said I have to show up in court and cannot do traffic school. Find a lawyer to represent me for $70, and they drop the ticket.

Do not expect the police to not show up, they will keep rescheduling you and all the cases to the police "court day" instead.

Want to hear worse? I wanted to fight my cell phone ticket when the court only allow 40 cases per day and you can only schedule for walk in, and unless you are there at 4am waiting in line, you cannot go to court to defend yourself even if it is not your fault. I saw one guy in line with a red light ticket that clearly marked the car that ran a red light to be someone else, but the camera picked up his plate stopped perfectly instead (City of Fremont).

Invest in driving more reasonable and accordingly to the law. I would rather arrive later but safe and alive than dead or injured in an accident.

I dont know about over there, but I got a big ticket for Negligent Driving. So I talked to some people and found out about deferral. Basically once in 7 years you can have the judge defer it for one year pending any other tickets. No tickets in one year then it disappears off the record. Get another ticket then you get slapped with both. I got it cut from $550 to $250 and it does not exist on my public record.

Personally, I think it's your patriotic duty to pay up and take the hit.

I don't understand the idea of hiring representation, worming your way out of, or trying to side-step an act that you blatantly committed. You OUGHT to be shamed of yourself for jeopardizing your own safety and those that share the road.

spankme2.gif

Hmm, 82 in a 55 zone didn't mean a ticket for 'excessive speeding" and a night in jail courtesy of the state?

File for a Discovery motion and request the calibration records for the radar gun that was used to clock your speed. Some of the time the police department wont be able to provide the calibration records and this in turn will give you a better chance of getting the ticket dismissed.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I don't understand the idea of hiring representation, worming your way out of, or trying to side-step an act that you blatantly committed. You OUGHT to be shamed of yourself for jeopardizing your own safety and those that share the road.

spankme2.gif

That's funny. My normal speed on the highway is 10 over (65 in 55, 75 in 65) nearly every other person on the road up here shares the same thing. We all speed. Heck, 70 is not uncommon in the 55. Are we all being dangerous, and threatening lives? No, not really. The speed limit in most places is way, way too low. Think out west, 50 miles on flat, straight, empty highway. Nothing for miles. what is the speed limit? 65. Ridiculous.

And no offense, but to NOT try to get it reduced, or to hire representation.... Is, quite frankly, dumb. Our power went out, last night, so my alarm clock was reset. I woke up 30 minutes before I had to be at school for a test. A test I could NOT make up. by that time traffic is light. Should I just say "d'oh well!" And fail the course because of something out of my control? No! But i'm gonna haul buttox trying to get to school in time!

Last edited:
A cop around here would probably give you a ticket for negligent driving (or careless, what have you) for that speed...but all areas are different!

The amount of people that get lawyers for simple speeding tickets amazes me though. Most of my speeding tickets are much less than $200 and the cost of a lawyer outweighs how much my insurance increased every time. But I run liability... your full coverages may be much different.

A ticket of that magnatude though...maybe needs some representation.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

spankme2.gif

That's funny. My normal speed on the highway is 10 over (65 in 55, 75 in 65) nearly every other person on the road up here shares the same thing. We all speed. Heck, 70 is not uncommon in the 55. Are we all being dangerous, and threatening lives? No, not really. The speed limit in most places is way, way too low. Think out west, 50 miles on flat, straight, empty highway. Nothing for miles. what is the speed limit? 65. Ridiculous.

And no offense, but to NOT try to get it reduced, or to hire representation.... Is, quite frankly, dumb. Our power went out, last night, so my alarm clock was reset. I woke up 30 minutes before I had to be at school for a test. A test I could NOT make up. by that time traffic is light. Should I just say "d'oh well!" And fail the course because of something out of my control? No! But i'm gonna haul buttox trying to get to school in time!

Instead of endangering other lives on the highway, you should be more prudent and plan better. Turn on your alarm on your cell phone which is independent of the power supply in your room.

The judges in NY are nuts. Get a lawyer, especially if you are YOUNG and MALE. You don't know what the judge will do. Some are kind, others are martinets. If you're a young male getting a big traffic ticket in NY, it's better to pay now instead of paying for years later.

And, please, slow down!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

spankme2.gif

We have a term for that.

It's called:

Selfishness.

Before you respond, note that I could have used a number of other terms that would paint your decisions in a much darker light. I chose not to, out of the sake of me being a nice guy, and being respectful.

I am not sure about NY, but in TX there are two ways to negotiate a speeding ticket (provided it is not in a school or construction zone).

1. Defensive driving course - completely removes the ticket from your record (most tickets are on a driving record for 5 years, but insurance companies can only check for 3 years prior) and gives you a 10% discount on your insurance. Cost is usually 50% of the full ticket cost plus $30 or so for the course.

2. Deferred Adjudication - basically amounts to probation, where for 90 to 180 days (depending on state and judge) you are "agreeing" not to break the law in any way. If you do, you pay the full cost of the ticket and it is placed on your driving record for the full time possible. If you do not break the law, the case is disposed of and the ticket is not posted to your record. Cost is usually 60% of the ticket plus court costs.

I believe every state would have a #2 option of sorts that you could discuss with the DA during the arraignment (when you first appear in court) and this option is usually acceptable to the court. With 27 miles over the speed limit, I would expect this ticket to be between $350 and $500 in TX (depending on municipality and judge) so either of the 2 options would be a better situation.

In most states, 20 over the posted speed limit can be reason enough for the officer to arrest the person that allegedly committed the transgression. In addition, simply paying the ticket as some have suggested may not be a wise decision as you have to either plead guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to the ticket which automatically places it on your record.

The problem with doing that is not this one ticket, but the increase of consequences if you receive another moving violation within 3 years--most insurance companies love to raise rates and your rates could rise for a period of 3 years or until the ticket disappears from your record. If you try to switch insurance companies, the other insurance company will certainly check your record and you will not receive the best rates possible (full coverage would be impacted more than liability only).

At any rate, I hope this helps you in some way and....slow down a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back