Speeding ticket court date etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I've never understood this, if they take away a persons license, aren't they just going to keep driving without one? You can't possibly bum rides from people reliably enough to keep a job.

In Texas we already have lots of people driving without licenses (DUI offenders, illegals, and others). The best part for them is that when they inevitably hit you they suffer almost no consequences. They won't have insurance, of course, either. My ex-wife and brother were both hit by drivers who had no licenses nor insurance.

As far as speeding tickets go, of course its a moneymaker! If you're lucky, your city allows you to ask for deferred adjudication on your own. If you have a clean record you pay the fine (which, in Texas is expensive), stay clean for 90 days, and it's done. If the city doesn't offer that "convenience" you pay a few bucks to a lawyer that can do it for you. I have Hyatt Legal Services through my employer so the lawyer part doesn't cost any additional fees. Both times I used it I was legitimately speeding - on a highway on which I am often one of the slowest drivers. It's the luck of the draw in arbitrary enforcement that does SQUAT for improving safety. The law's the law and I guess, if we don't like it we have to vote to change it. It's always been interesting to me that the same roads that once had 55 MPH speed limits now have 75 MPH limits, more traffic, and yet don't seem to be any more dangerous based upon accident statistics. In this state, if you are a small town along a busy intrastate commuter route speeding fines can be a huge windfall. You'll notice very expensive police vehicles in otherwise podunk towns.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
25 over - Bahhh!

Forget the lawyer - just go through the system I bet you can pay the fine but keep your license as this was not aggravated. Stupid law.

Our legislators should be spending the next 10 years getting most laws OFF the books instead of writing new ones. This is America!

Then,Maybe I should'nt go 90-110 mph down I-93 South on the way to work.
Luck is gotta run out sooner or later.
Traffic laws differ from state to state. That's why you need a local expert.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I've never understood this, if they take away a persons license, aren't they just going to keep driving without one? You can't possibly bum rides from people reliably enough to keep a job.

In Texas we already have lots of people driving without licenses (DUI offenders, illegals, and others). The best part for them is that when they inevitably hit you they suffer almost no consequences. They won't have insurance, of course, either. My ex-wife and brother were both hit by drivers who had no licenses nor insurance.

As far as speeding tickets go, of course its a moneymaker! If you're lucky, your city allows you to ask for deferred adjudication on your own. If you have a clean record you pay the fine (which, in Texas is expensive), stay clean for 90 days, and it's done. If the city doesn't offer that "convenience" you pay a few bucks to a lawyer that can do it for you. I have Hyatt Legal Services through my employer so the lawyer part doesn't cost any additional fees. Both times I used it I was legitimately speeding - on a highway on which I am often one of the slowest drivers. It's the luck of the draw in arbitrary enforcement that does SQUAT for improving safety. The law's the law and I guess, if we don't like it we have to vote to change it. It's always been interesting to me that the same roads that once had 55 MPH speed limits now have 75 MPH limits, more traffic, and yet don't seem to be any more dangerous based upon accident statistics. In this state, if you are a small town along a busy intrastate commuter route speeding fines can be a huge windfall. You'll notice very expensive police vehicles in otherwise podunk towns.
Around here a lot of those roads which had 55 mph limits had HIGHER limits before the great "gas crisis" in the 70's so the limits were lowered and then raised again.

You have 3 types posting on traffic ticket threads.

1. Chicken little says you better just plead guilty before you get in more trouble.
2. Inexperienced people say get a lawyer because you're too dumb to figure it out.
3. People that have been there done that. Plead not guilty and let them make you an offer.

In Wisconsin you will go speak to a DA before you plea anything and in my experience I've always worked out a deal. I once had a speeding ticket near Jefferson WI and when I went to court the whole group (about 20 people) got the exact same deal offered, which I don't recall but it was a huge improvement for me. Milwaukee municipal it's usually same fine but 2 point speedometer violation.

Lawyer or not is up to you (as is driving during your suspension) but either way yes go to court it's worth your time.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

1. Chicken little says you better just plead guilty before you get in more trouble.
2. Inexperienced people say get a lawyer because you're too dumb to figure it out.
3. People that have been there done that. Plead not guilty and let them make you an offer.

That's the truth. But in WI they make you an offer before you plea. #3 for the win!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
25 over - Bahhh!

Forget the lawyer - just go through the system I bet you can pay the fine but keep your license as this was not aggravated. Stupid law.

Our legislators should be spending the next 10 years getting most laws OFF the books instead of writing new ones. This is America!

Then,Maybe I should'nt go 90-110 mph down I-93 South on the way to work.
Luck is gotta run out sooner or later.

They sit in and around the O'Neill. I hit top speed on I-93. Almost regularly.

#3 is the correct answer
#1 are just trolls
#2 have had that work for them in the past, before the proverbial lightbulb went off and they said "Wait a minute" and the wood burning smell came from thought and became #3.

#3 is the correct answer
#1 are just trolls
#2 have had that work for them in the past, before the proverbial lightbulb went off and they said "Wait a minute" and the wood burning smell came from thought and became #3.quote=bepperb]

That's the truth. But in WI they make you an offer before you plea. #3 for the win! [/quote]

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
ALWAYS go to court even if you are guilty!! The traffic/speeding ticket scheme is just that, a SCHEME for REVENUE! Sure, 9 out of 10 times you will lose and end up paying the fine regardless but there is always a chance the officer screwed up, doesn't show and they dismiss, etc! You pay a built in "court cost" whether you go to court or not so why give away your hard earned money to a bunch of pirates?? I'm sorry, but 95% of traffic citations are EXTORTION! Fight, challenge and make them earn your money at the very least!

So you would do what have no penalties? And enforcement costs money. Deterrent is required...should it just be jail or loss (automatic of license).

Make sure you get a lawyer with a known track record.

I know enforcement of safety is necessary and I agree with speeding penalties once they reach a certain unsafe speed but local road pirates in small towns/cities citing people for 60mph in a 55mph is a [censored] joke as is other [censored] infractions (inspection sticker is a day expired, or tint is 5% too dark etc)

The job of a police officer is taxpayer funded and it is to PROTECT and SERVE, todays police have strayed from this mentality (not all of them have, so don't go bashing me for being a cop hater!) The vast majority of a local cop's duties are to EXTORT money from its citizens for [censored] infractions, plain and simple!

3. Except, in Texas, they want the maximum they can collect and I've seen judges cop attitudes. What you're trying to avoid is getting the ticket added to your driving record and giving the insurance people an excuse to make more money from you. Granted, I haven't been to too many traffic court proceedings, but in the few I have I've never seen this approach work.

It would benefit you to look up the relevant law. Wife had a [censored] speeding ticket about a year ago (76 in a 50; (a) she doesn't even drive that fast on the freeway, especially with the [censored] out-of-balance tires on her car at the time, and (b) this is "conveniently" exactly 1 mph over the threshold for bigger fines) which we beat because the traffic survey (public record) for the road was out of date. Did not have to go to court because CA allows you to contest a ticket by mail. I'm sure WI is different but that's why you need to look up the law.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
The job of a police officer is taxpayer funded and it is to PROTECT and SERVE, todays police have strayed from this mentality (not all of them have, so don't go bashing me for being a cop hater!) The vast majority of a local cop's duties are to EXTORT money from its citizens for [censored] infractions, plain and simple!

And, while it is NOT a reason to shoot them it does cause a good deal of dislike and distrust in the general population. I once received a ticket for running a stop sign that I DID NOT RUN. When I said that to the cop he pointed to a second car behind him and said, "That officer saw you do it, too." Really!? What the heck was the reason for that? (Two officers sitting at the same empty intersection pulling me over for making a right turn after stopping) People often get pulled over for bogus infractions because the cop is "fishing" for something else. He asked me to confirm that my race was "white." This was right after some high profile news about cops needing to avoid racial profiling. It made me wonder if they were needing to ticket a few more white people to make up for the other races they had ticketed that month.

I am not anti-police and I doubt that many cops enjoy traffic duty. The things I see drivers doing that are dangerous, inattentive, or just plain stupid don't get caught by cops because you can't catch them sitting on the shoulder with a speed gun. If they really want to promote safety they'd be driving the roads in unmarked cars and pulling people over for actual dangerous behavior. Never gonna happen, though, because it's hard. Giving speeding tickets is both easy and a moneymaker. There's your explanation.

Here in the Gestapo State (NJ), the municipalities have caught on to folks who always go to court to ask for a plea bargain.

They increase the Court Costs about 40% if you make an appearance, as an incentive to just pay the fine.
So, if you got the 25-over charge down to a non-suspension 15 over, you still pay more.
mad.gif
At least, you don't lose your license.

Same as being represented by a lawyer. You pay just as much (or more) in total, the lawyer gets a cut.

smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER

#3 is the correct answer
#1 are just trolls
#2 have had that work for them in the past, before the proverbial lightbulb went off and they said "Wait a minute" and the wood burning smell came from thought and became #3.

#3 is the correct answer
#1 are just trolls
#2 have had that work for them in the past, before the proverbial lightbulb went off and they said "Wait a minute" and the wood burning smell came from thought and became #3.quote=bepperb]

That's the truth. But in WI they make you an offer before you plea. #3 for the win!

That's quite he post. Feeling a little manic today, are we?

Originally Posted By: Doog
25 over.....lawyer time.

Agreed. When I was in traffic court I'd routinely amend speeding tickets down, defer them, or send the driver to traffic school- but you've got a lot of judges and prosecutors who think your head might explode if you drive over 70 mph...

I showed up in court for my last speeding ticket (over 3 years ago) and got a chance to talk to a trooper before appearing in front of the judge.
I produced a defensive driving class certificate and was offered to have my ticket busted down to less than 5mph over the limit and no points on my record, just a small fine...I said OK, and the trooper took the state's copy of my DD papers.
But, HE LIED...I still got points, and my insurance went up dramatically. I sent my copy of the DD certificate to the state and they said they needed their copy to get the points off.

I would recommend hiring a lawyer!!! Don't trust what is offered to you without some sort of proof, and a lawyer will help with that.

Above a poster said:
"It made me wonder if they were needing to ticket a few more white people to make up for the other races they had ticketed that month."
^^ I've seen "Mobil Auto Inspection" trailers set up on the roadside in nice towns (READ: WHITE) where you can have your car inspected.

I wondered why there were 20 cops standing around.

It didn't take too long to realize they were there to
1) primarily execute outstanding arrest warrants
2) issue tickets if your registration or license was out of date (and perhaps tow your illegal car away so it still looked like a DMV operation)
NOTE: It's called MVC in NJ (for Motor Vehicle Commission-renamed after a reorganization)
I concluded that they were there to "equalize" the race cross section of law enforcement as well.

Providing a convenience to motorists was not the design.
After passing I scampered quickly to my Mother's house to get her car and have it inspected as well.
The inspector laughed when I showed up in a second car.

Oh, the OP with the speeding ticket:
Don't be foolish (READ: STUPID). If you do not "know the system" hire a guide (aka traffic attorney). There's no "Daniel Booneing" it here. They can take your license.
Better off paying him a bit, paying a reduced fine, possibly avoiding a pointed conviction which can save you increased premiums FOR YEARS.

Slow down as mentioned by several people.

And since we weren't there to see the event....try to abandon the belligerent tones the likes of which were expressed here by a few people. It lessens your flexibility.

You got caught. Look the part. Got a suit? Get one if you go to court even if for a 2 minute rubber stamping of your case.

Sounds like it's not your first ticket. Don't play "bunny rabbits and flower innocence" if it's not true. BITOGers hate that! Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

Sounds like it's not your first ticket. Don't play "bunny rabbits and flower innocence" if it's not true. BITOGers hate that! Kira

More than one traffic ticket in a lifetime. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness gracious. What On gods green earth. Oh dear. Oh my word.

no its not my first speeding ticket as i stated in my post.

My last offense was almost 5 years ago, but it wasn't as high as this one. and those were both stupid as well but i acknowledged that i was in the wrong because i knew i was speeding.

this time however i was just not paying attention and was oblivious to the world as thoughts rolled around in my head.

anyways so it sounds like the consensus is that I go to court and plea not guilty, or I could do it by mail yet i think.

or Get a ticket attorney.

I know they offer free consult on some lawyer sites in the area i guess i can check those quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back