Speeding ticket court date etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so to start I got pulled over for speeding back in May.

I was legitimately speeding I don't deny that, However I wasn't intentionally speeding.

I was on my motorcycle on my way to work spaced out in a daze and I just wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going.

so I was pulled over my a Trooper, I didn't dispute or argue, he gave me a ticket for 25 over etc, and said its an automatic license suspension because of the speed.

The court appearance is not mandatory, but I'm going to need to do something in order to keep my license. Obviously with work etc I can't afford to lose them, even if its for 2 weeks.

I've talked to a few people and I get different answers. A friend of mine told me to contact the district attorney and he might be able to drop it down so I can keep my license and just pay a fine. Well I was unable to contact the DA directly and the person at the office told me to just run through the court system either by entering my plea by mail or going to court. So I've decided to go to the court date.

Now I don't know whether to plea guilty or not guilty, I don't deny that I was speeding, but I also don't know how accurate the speed was that the trooper listed as they are no means of how that speed was estimated.

Am I better off pleading guilty but explaining that it wasn't my intention to speed and that i haven't had a speeding offense in close to 5 years?

or do I plead not guilty?

I dunno I'm at a loss at what to do, not looking forward to actually going to court over something like this because I've never done it before.

I guess i would just like some insight from anyone with a similar offense.

Last edited:
Don't know how different it is there, but here you can plead No Contest, and ask for a Deferral, which is basically like probation. Some places you can get a reduced fine for taking traffic classes too.
I got a Negligent Second Degree some years ago and asked for a deferral, and the Judge granted it. He knocked it down to $250 from $550. After a year with no tickets I paid the lowered fine and went on my way as it was kept off my record. If I had gotten another ticket I wouldve had to pay the full $550 and it would be visible on my record.

Last edited:
With your license on the line you should get an attorney.

The attorney may even get to represent you in your own absence, so you skip less work.

When I went to traffic court they gave several options at roll call:

Change plea to guilty, pay, get out
Talk to prosecuting policeman, work out a deal
acknowledge attendance and go straight to trial

1/2 times a deal worked out for me.

I got a Speeding Ticket 2 Months ago.
But I was going 12 MPH over, not 25.

If there's any chance of loosing your License, I would use an Attorney who specializes in Traffic Court.

I would NOT plead guilty.
Reason being, you reduce your options for a better outcome.

The way I saw it -
1) Plead Guilty: Pay the Fine, Insurance Co. finds out, take Driving Class to get Points removed
OR
2) Plead NOT Guilty, (if the Court accepts it) agree guilty to a lesser offense, pay the Fine.

I was new to Traffic Court and came here for advise, here's the Thread.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...day#Post4085600

As others on here told me:
Pay the Fine and learn from it.
My Ticket has made me a safer driver.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
With your license on the line you should get an attorney.....
This.

Unless you absolutely know beforehand that the DA is willing to reduce the charge and/or does so regularly with first time offenders, seek qualified counsel. Might cost some coin but in the long run it will be worth it. As mentioned, many times you won't even have to appear to get it reduced. So no loss of work time.

One suggestion, I see you signature says you live in Wisconsin. Just make sure you don't get either of the two keister clowns from in Making a Murderer, Ken K or Len K. They are both in private practice there now, yikes. Go to them and not only are you likely to waste your money and lose your license, you could end up in jail.

Like others stated, get an attorney & hopefully you can get it reduced to a no license loss. I would not go in there unrepresented in this case. Even if you do have to miss work -- this is your lively hood your talking about. Good luck & slow down.

I found that if you get an attorney you will usually get a break with the court. Everyone knows it is a game. The judge was or is a practicing attorney, the prosecutor was a practicing attorney too. You get a break because of "professional courtesy" between lawyers.

Years ago I got a reckless driving ticket. I was doing a wheelie and got caught. I went to court and it plead down to basic speed law but I still paid the fine for reckless.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I found that if you get an attorney you will usually get a break with the court. Everyone knows it is a game. The judge was or is a practicing attorney, the prosecutor was a practicing attorney too. You get a break because of "professional courtesy" between lawyers.

I think this is absolutely correct. I've been able to make a deal with the police officer on the day of the hearing, but if my license was on the line I would get an attorney. I think the professional courtesy thing is exactly what happens. DA gets a conviction, municipality gets some money, your attorney makes some money, you can get away with no or fewer points. Everybody wins.

If your license is at stake get an attorney. You have your license, court fines and increased insurance costs to consider.

What else is on your license?

When you renew insurance, just ignore the questions. Chances are they will not pay the $5 or $10 to pull your license info yearly.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Years ago I got a reckless driving ticket. I was doing a wheelie and got caught. I went to court and it plead down to basic speed law but I still paid the fine for reckless.

Small world. I'm actually going to Court in about 5 hours for almost same thing. I suppose I'll post the results.

I, of course, representing myself. Since I have to disagree, it is usually the same offer whether you spend hundreds on an attorney or even thousands, retaining an attorney can cost 4 grand for something that can be made a couple hundred dollars fine.. Go in, observe, speak to prosecutor, know if they have evidence or not (read: officer retired from force due to time etc) and play accordingly. Unless it is a hassle for you to have to come back a second time.

We'll see if the offer is good enough for No Contest.

They do do that, yes, what you say is accurate, but another point is It is also akin to a poker game. If the prosecutor sees that something in the file would jeopardize a possible conviction at trial, the offer should be sweeter to get the guilty plea.

They still have to prove their case. If you plead guilty, they don't.

Its called "bluffing." Poker face
lol.gif

ALWAYS go to court even if you are guilty!! The traffic/speeding ticket scheme is just that, a SCHEME for REVENUE! Sure, 9 out of 10 times you will lose and end up paying the fine regardless but there is always a chance the officer screwed up, doesn't show and they dismiss, etc! You pay a built in "court cost" whether you go to court or not so why give away your hard earned money to a bunch of pirates?? I'm sorry, but 95% of traffic citations are EXTORTION! Fight, challenge and make them earn your money at the very least!

Now when it comes to your license, I'd hire a cheap attorney. If you're in a small town, they are all in bed together and as others have posted, everybody gets some of your money and goes home happy and you get the better end of the deal.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
ALWAYS go to court even if you are guilty!! The traffic/speeding ticket scheme is just that, a SCHEME for REVENUE! Sure, 9 out of 10 times you will lose and end up paying the fine regardless but there is always a chance the officer screwed up, doesn't show and they dismiss, etc! You pay a built in "court cost" whether you go to court or not so why give away your hard earned money to a bunch of pirates?? I'm sorry, but 95% of traffic citations are EXTORTION! Fight, challenge and make them earn your money at the very least!

So you would do what have no penalties? And enforcement costs money. Deterrent is required...should it just be jail or loss (automatic of license).

Make sure you get a lawyer with a known track record.

Last edited:
I've never understood this, if they take away a persons license, aren't they just going to keep driving without one? You can't possibly bum rides from people reliably enough to keep a job.

25 over - Bahhh!

Forget the lawyer - just go through the system I bet you can pay the fine but keep your license as this was not aggravated. Stupid law.

Our legislators should be spending the next 10 years getting most laws OFF the books instead of writing new ones. This is America!

Then,Maybe I should'nt go 90-110 mph down I-93 South on the way to work.
Luck is gotta run out sooner or later.

This ^ what you pay for when retaining a lawyer is who and what he knows, not how fancy his car is. (Guys who charge reasonable fees don't usually drive impressomobile cars). Expect to trade keeping your license for a big fine, though. And, not to be annoying about it, but as a biker myself, the last thing you want to do is ride a motorbike in traffic while distracted. We just had another death up hear yesterday ...SUV driver makes a lrft turn in front of couple on a new Indian. "I didn't see the bike".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back