Special kind of jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
While the guy in the vehicle is also guilty of reckless driving the motorcyclist is guilty of at least negligent homicide if the wife ended up dying since he clearly is breaking the law (illegal passing on a double yellow line and likely speeding too) and his actions directly contributed to her death.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that until you posted it but it is 100% true. If the girlfriend dies the bike driver should face homicide charges. If she lives he should face some type of reckless endangerment/assault charges. Regardless of the fact the car driver intentionally swerved the bike rider was intentionally breaking the law by passing on a double yellow( multiple vehicles at once btw )and speeding. He is responsible too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: bradepb

I didn't say there was one . But that is why there were double yellow lines. No passing because of limited visibility, you cant see if someone is coming.

Passing zones are generally also determined with the comparatively glacial acceleration of the average car/truck in mind. Not to mention the wider cars and trucks are far less maneuverable.

I've see roads which are double yellow in every State, which could be dotted lines if the performance and maneuverability of a bike were taken into account. Of course they don't do that, because the roads are stripped for all road users. But that also means there are plenty of places where Motorcyclists can safely pass on double yellows, even if it is technically 'illegal' to do so.

I don't know of any Motorcyclists that will intentionally put themselves in harms way, by passing when there is insufficient room to safely do so.

So yes, the Motorcyclist was passing on a double yellow. Which while illegal, I'd bet he had more than sufficient room (for his specific vehicle) to make the pass without putting anyone in danger.

That doesn't justify the homicidal old mans decision to take the law into his own hands, and use his car as a weapon to commit what I would consider attempted murder.

I hope the old fool is charged with attempted murder.

Seriously? You must not get out on the road much. I see it ALL the time. I have friends I would refuse to ride with because of the stupid risks they always took.

Oh, but wait! The driver didn't MEAN to swerve. It was just a coincidence that right at that moment he was bitten on the leg by a spider.

Not even a good liar!

Originally Posted By: grampi
.... the idiot in the car that hit them ....

Watching the video a second time, it did not look like the Cougar hit the motorcycle, it looks like the motorcycle hit the Cougar in the rear end, while both were on the wrong side of the road. The angle of view is not favorable for that determination, but it looks like a rear ender to me. Of course, the marks on the car would tell the tale.

So, if a rear ender, in addition to passing on a double yellow, passing multiple cars at a time, you can potentially add failure to keep a proper lookout, failure to maintain control, and failure to operate at a reasonable and prudent speed to the motorcycle driver's list of sins. Since he crossed the double yellow line, it seems reasonable to require him to take into account that someone else could do the very same thing.

If his girlfriend has second thoughts about their relationship while she is laying in her hospital bed, and if she has two cents worth of sense in her head she will, the motorcycle driver has serious civil liability problems, as does the driver of the Cougar.

Both could conceivably face criminal charges, and probably should.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: bradepb

I didn't say there was one . But that is why there were double yellow lines. No passing because of limited visibility, you cant see if someone is coming.

Passing zones are generally also determined with the comparatively glacial acceleration of the average car/truck in mind. Not to mention the wider cars and trucks are far less maneuverable.

I've seen roads which are double yellow in every State, which could be dotted lines if the performance and maneuverability of a bike were taken into account. Of course they don't do that, because the roads are stripped for all road users. But that also means there are plenty of places where Motorcyclists can safely pass on double yellows, even if it is technically 'illegal' to do so.

I don't know of any Motorcyclists that will intentionally put themselves in harms way, by passing when there is insufficient room to safely do so.

So yes, the Motorcyclist was passing on a double yellow. Which while illegal, I'd bet he had more than sufficient room (for his specific vehicle) to make the pass without putting anyone in danger.

That doesn't justify the homicidal old mans decision to take the law into his own hands, and use his car as a weapon to commit what I would consider attempted murder.

I hope the old fool is charged with attempted murder.

Seriously? You must not get out on the road much. I see it ALL the time. I have friends I would refuse to ride with because of the stupid risks they always took.

I'm on the road pretty much year round, and all over the Country. I've seen cars and motorcycles pass on the double yellow. From my observations, the Motorcyclists generally make far fewer unsafe passes than the car drivers.

Ie: The motorcycles are generally in the oncoming lane for far less time, so oncoming traffic isn't endangered, as it often is by the less maneuverable cars and trucks that are in the oncoming lane for far longer to make a pass.

I am totally blown away by the arguments posted here.

By the same logic, the next time someone sees a driver blow through a stop sign, someone could pull out their side arm and shoot them dead, and both the driver and the shooter would be equally to blame?!?!?!

Just because someone breaks the law, it does not give anyone the opportunity to take the law into their own hands and give judge/jury free conviction and punishment.

Originally Posted By: Win

Watching the video a second time, it did not look like the Cougar hit the motorcycle, it looks like the motorcycle hit the Cougar in the rear end, while both were on the wrong side of the road. The angle of view is not favorable for that determination, but it looks like a rear ender to me. Of course, the marks on the car would tell the tale.

So, if a rear ender, in addition to passing on a double yellow, passing multiple cars at a time, you can potentially add failure to keep a proper lookout, failure to maintain control, and failure to operate at a reasonable and prudent speed to the motorcycle driver's list of sins. Since he crossed the double yellow line, it seems reasonable to require him to take into account that someone else could do the very same thing.

If anyone ever purposely cuts you off regardless if you're breaking a traffic law or not, and you hit them and crash, make sure to keep your own viewpoint given above. But I would venture to bet that the one-way glasses would come off pretty darn quick.

I heard that the motorist stated he was stung by a wasp, and it made him jerk the steering wheel. I tend to believe it.
I almost doubt that this old guy would have even known that the bike was coming up from behind to pass.

^^^ The crazy old man is lair. In the video he even said something about passing on a double yellow and that he didn't care that he caused them to crash. He's a mental old coot who thinks he's Judge Dredge.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If anyone ever purposely cuts you off regardless if you're breaking a traffic law or not, and you hit them and crash, make sure to keep your own viewpoint given above. But I would venture to bet that the one-way glasses would come off pretty darn quick.

Be happy to.

I don't break trafic laws so I don't worry about the former happening, and, having been injured as a kid when I was on a motorcycle and cut off by a car driver, I have a really high situational awareness when I am driving, so the latter happening is remote.

Be happy to.

I don't break trafic laws so I don't worry about the former happening, and, having been injured as a kid when I was on a motorcycle and cut off by a car driver, I have a really high situational awareness when I am driving, so the latter happening is remote.

It could be happen even if you're not breaking any laws. Some crazy idiot might not like the fact you're even passing legally and runs you off the road because he's got some crazy thoughts in his head. Guess people are just supposed to take it and ignores some crazy person's actions that affect their life ... and be happy about it too.
eek.gif

Again, just because the guy was passing on a double yellow does not give the crazy old coot any justification for his actions. I bet he will be charged with something in this case, and rightly so.

Again, just because the guy was passing on a double yellow does not give the crazy old coot any justification for his actions. I bet he will be charged with something in this case, and rightly so.

Who ever said it did?

If just ONE of these two idiots obeyed the simple rules of the road, a woman would not be laying in a hospital bed. There are no saints here - let the chips fall where they may.

^^^ The crazy old man is lair. In the video he even said something about passing on a double yellow and that he didn't care that he caused them to crash. He's a mental old coot who thinks he's Judge Dredge.

I think the guy was probably scared, and obviously not too bright,
he mentioned those things after the fact of course.

I still put the onus on the motorcyclist, he was passing where he had no business doing so and speeding too, at least according to US and local traffic laws at the scene. The bottom line is, if the bike would not have been breaking the law in the first place the
collision would never have occurred.

Last edited:

Who ever said it did?

It was a general comment because some here obviously sound like they think the crazy old man had a good reason to do what he did.

I would have to question their social outlook on life and how they perceive unwarranted and unlawful actions to purposely cause injury to others.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The bottom line is, if the bike would not have been breaking the law in the first place the
collision would never have occurred.

The real bottom line is if the crazy guy would have just let them pass it would never have occurred either. And I'm sure they would have passed just fine without endangering anyone else. Go watch the video again, as he passed on a pretty long straight away and clearly there were no cars coming the other way - regardless of double yellow markings on the road.

If I tried to do some idiotic thing like this every time I drove my car I'd be in jail for the rest of my life. I see people breaking the law on the roads every mile I drive (that's not exaggerating) ... so should I be Judge Dredge and react like some lunatic and try to stop them all with my car?

So give the guy a ticket for passing in a double yellow (for the blamers of the biker), and throw the car driver in jail for his attempted vehicular homicide actions. Also sue him and his insurance company in court for damages.

I like when people pass me on those two lane roads. Plus the quicker they get around me the better. No way I would want someone on my tail.

Hope they get that old guy off the road quick.

I watched the video several times and there appears to be a driveway of some sort right where the accident happened. Those double yellow lines are there for a reason, even if the road is straight with clear line of sight.
I don't know if the car driver did it on purpose, he doesn't seem to admit it on video and saying "I don't care" does not put the blame on him.
These motorcyclists had no business speeding and passing on the double yellow and hopefully this incident will make them better riders. Some people can only learn from their own mistakes.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't know if the car driver did it on purpose, he doesn't seem to admit it on video and saying "I don't care" does not put the blame on him.

Anyone in their right mind would have reacted much differently (shocked and apologetic, which he wasn't) if they really didn't do it on purpose. Pretty basic psychology 101.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Anyone in their right mind would have reacted much differently (shocked and apologetic, which he wasn't) if they really didn't do it on purpose. Pretty basic psychology 101.

So not only you're a lawyer but you're a psychologist now? All that based solely on the one sided video? Wow, you're good
crackmeup2.gif

^^^ It's pretty obvious, as many here can also see - guess you've never studied basic psychology.

I'm sure the police will see it that way too, and will be charging him soon - keep your eyes peeled. You sound like a defense lawyer - LoL, not that it's bad.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back