speakers or sound bar

what are most of you using for sound... 2 channel, 2.1 channel speakers with a sub or sound bar?

my SCEPTRE monitor has built in speakers I think 1w X 2, but are very tinny sounding even watching YouTube becomes fatiguing quickly something with a little more mid-range is needed. I kind of like the look and simplicity of a single USB cable vs desk clutter of multiple wires and power supplies. open to suggestions.

*the monitor connects via HDMI, so audio and video is through one cable I am open to Bluetooth as an option, just not looking to break bank.

If you don't want to spend that much, I'd buy two of these Adam T5V (sold as singles). The ribbon tweeters are amazing, and the speakers have excellent reviews. I have some of the older models (F5 and F7):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/196374226566?itmmeta=01HX6Y35ZZCJNMDJ96XJ7MH52Z

Since you do not want to do a deep dive, a pair of decent 3.5" driver powered studio desktop monitors should be around 100 bucks.

Otherwise I would say vintage Kef Ref 101 or LS3-5A or Sequerra Metronome & with a nice 300B/2A3 SET amp

Don't suffer poor audio. It's bad for the mind, the heart and your ears!

kef ref 101.jpg

Sequerra Metronome 7.jpg

Ahh yes shi*ty overpriced full-range driver.
Get something cheap or something actually worth paying for.

Bose is one of those have to hear for yourself to either buy or not to buy. I’m fairly familiar with the Bose sound and name. do they often fall short of the hype? Maybe… yes? but do they perform they have a strong sales marketing approach and most the time do sound good enough to the average listener. I mark Bose as consumer grade many people take the name and want to pedestal the product with audiophile level equipment and that’s where both Bose and the consumer fall short.

On my computer I'm running a simple set of Bose Companion 2 Series II computer speakers. Nothing fancy but decent enough for YouTube videos, the occasional TV show or movie, streaming music while I code, or Discord calls. I can't really fit anything larger due to space contraints on my desk.

In our living room we have some beautiful vintage DLK speakers that are almost as big as my entire Chevy Bolt powered by a Denon receiver connected to my HTPC. Not surround sound either, just two speakers, but plenty good enough for any movie or music and the best part was... they were free. Truly beautiful sound.

My buddy does audio work and has an insane setup in his living room, insane setup in his bedroom, and a complete studio room in his house with all sorts of crazy equipment. We watched a movie in there once and honestly, I didn't get any more enjoyment out of watching a movie in there with a million bucks in surround sound Atmos whatever equipment than I would sitting in my living room with my two old speakers lol.

IMG_4282.jpg

i liked my panasonic sound bar BUT the Denon that replaced it is BETTER, just sets in front of rear of TV!! Audio Engine makes great powered speakers i recently purchased, check their outlet for a better price as they are a bit spendy but worth it IMO

dollar for dollar speakers usually prevail.
but there are some nice soundbars out there.
I got a clearance samsung soundbar from costco awhile back for 249?(iirc) and blew me away with the sound for that price.
I was prepared to be very underwhelmed.

About 5 years +/- I bought a 2.1 at WalMart, their brand. Good overall tone. Was $69. Asked the area clerk if she saw a lot of these back bad. She said only the name brands give then problems.

About 5 years +/- I bought a 2.1 at WalMart, their brand. Good overall tone. Was $69. Asked the area clerk if she saw a lot of these back bad. She said only the name brands give then problems.
I paid $59 for this Philips 2.1 soundbar sub combo paired with my living room tv it sounds phenomenal for my needs.

Soundbar

Last edited:
i have active 2 way studio monitors with integrated class AB amplifiers. i like stereo sound when i watch movies and videos and play games. they are made by RCF. an Italian company that produce active speakers for studio, recording and live shows. i would recommend 2 way active speakers. and you can find many that are affordable. they are versatile. perfect for music, movies and computer use.

in the olden days i gave users dell ultrasharp monitors since there were speaker bar accessories that could clip on the lower edge of the screen. saved a lot of precious desktop space for the attorneys

Bose doing it
the Bose did sound decent I just couldn't justify being $85 in with tax. took advantage of Walmart in store returns. with the little bit of listening I do and the volume I listen at I went much more budget savvy choice. picked these off Amazon for $8.11 using my visa rewards.

10 watts output is way overkill respectfully 2.5-5 watts... the speaker drivers themselves may be able to handle 10 watts. :cautious:

Last edited:
10 watts output is way overkill respectfully 2.5-5 watts... the speaker drivers themselves may be able to handle 10 watts. :cautious:

What they don't tell you is that non-power delivery USB 3.0 ports usually cap at 4.5w-ish and USB 2.0 even less so if you're powering it off a non-PD USB port, you won't get the full benefits.

Back