Pretty good and small computer speakers

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I thought I'd share this for those that are looking for basic speakers or a better alternative to laptop speakers.

Came across these on Amazon, as my 2.1 set started to magnify input sounds from the 3.5mm jack and was humming quite loudly. It was about 12 years old, so no surprise there and it wasn't anything high end to begin with.

These are only $16.99 on Amazon and are actually quite good, considering the price, their size and the fact that they are USB powered.
I listen to podcasts or youtube where someone is talking or explaining something and for this purpose, these little speakers are great. The voices are clear and crisp.
Also, I don't have a lot of room on my desk and these fit the bill quite nicely. One area to watch out for is that the cables aren't too long and if you have a big desk, they may be too short.

Amazon Basics computer speakers

20200806_083407.jpg

Considering small computer speakers for T.V.. These may work . Thanks
Highly doubt it. They may be OK when you sit right next to them (in front of your computer), but in a TV setup, where you sit 10-15 feet away, they won't be any louder than your built-in TV speakers, IMO.

Looking for $50 or < . Have Logitech satellite speakers w/ woofer for the P.C.. It fills the room well with sound . May buy new for PC and use the originals that are black with TV . They'd blend in better under each corner of the screen . Then would place the woofer behind TV that's inside a entertainment center . Thanks for all the input .

I picked up a set of Harmon Kardon (with Sub) for 35.00 on CL. I was going to spend more money on a set of Klipsch, but the prior owner said he has been a bit disappointed in their performance, given their price. My HKs put out some serious sound, and the clarity is much better than the set of Yamaha speakers I used for a few months.

The amplifier in USB powered speakers is only capable of about 1 watt per channel, max.
Not if it's USB C. USB C can supply significantly more power.

But in general, you're right. If you want to play loud, you're better off with an external amp or externally powered speakers.

Not if it's USB C. USB C can supply significantly more power.
USB-C is still only 5v because when using a computer's or TV's USB jack for power, it will not have USB-C power delivery and ONLY supplies 5v. 5v is the limiting factor on the amplifier's power output unless the speaker's amplifier has a built-in DC-DC step-up voltage converter/booster.

USB-C is still only 5v because when using a computer's or TV's USB jack for power, it will not have USB-C power delivery and ONLY supplies 5v. 5v is the limiting factor on the amplifier's power output unless the speaker's amplifier has a built-in DC-DC step-up voltage converter/booster.
The USB-C speakers linked above claim 8W RMS of power.

A standard USB-C port can supply 3A at 5V, so 15 Watts of power.

The USB-C speakers linked above claim 8W RMS of power.
Claiming 8w RMS and actually being able to deliver that kind of output power are two different things with anything produced in China. They inflate claims on EVERYTHING, audio amplifiers in particular.

A standard USB-C port can supply 3A at 5V, so 15 Watts of power.
It doesn't work that way with audio output (which is A/C). Using a Class-D digital amplifier with bridged outputs (like the PAM8403) will give you 3w/ch peak into 4 ohms at 10% THD, if the USB port can supply at least 2 amps. That is the max you can get out of 5v. If the USB port that the cable is plugged into is current limited to 500ma, like most computers, 1w/ch is about the max you can expect. You will not get more amperage out of a USB-C cable than the source can provide.

Back