Nissan Versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't feel bad. The sub compacts are just loud. Same result with 2015 Honda fit i test drove. Especially back seat. Your ear is right against door where you hear the road very loudly. Our 2010 civic is loud too but much quieter than the fit.

Last edited:
You might be better off looking for a low option Dodge Dart, or something similar.
They usually have decent discounts on the cars in order to get them down in to the $13k range.

BC.

Other than a Versa, Mirage, or Spark it looks like these are the lowest price econo-boxes you can get.

2015 Ford Fiesta - $10,999
Link

2015 Ford Focus - $11,294
Link

2014 Hyundai Accent (New) - $11,440
Link

Originally Posted By: supton
More on the Versa:

We so wanted to like the car, but after about 3 minutes at 60 (let alone typical highway speeds) we had enough. Just too much engine noise.

I made it 45 mins in the abysmal car before hated it with 3+hrs to go!!!! Like I said earlier you are going to have a very difficult time purchasing a vehicle in this price range new that is decent for 20k/duty on highways. Just think how much worst roads get as mid winter comes upon us again.

(Inexpensive) Sub compacts are for folks who drive about town not commuters. The Yaris(trust me) is just as abysmal.

I'm starting to hear you, rjundi. I just don't want to buy someone else's problem child. Less concerned about warranty coverage and more about buying something used and then start dropping a grand a year in repairs. Struts, bearings, timing belt, whatever. Yes, all cars get there, but at least new puts it off for a while.

Have not had a car make it past four years that did not need repairs or work of some sort on a yearly basis.

Sounds like OP wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Have you considered leasing? That way you will always have the newest car, with no "repairs" to pay for.

When the car gets older/up there in mileage (time when most cars break down) you just hand the keys over and continue driving. Sure you'll always have a monthly payment, but at least it's a fixed amount (no surprise repairs).

Nah, not interested in leasing. Could I balance miles between my fleet? Perhaps. But will my cost per mile work to a good number? Nope. I try to look at all angles, and balance cost vs convenience. But leasing is just never a real option for me.

Am I trying to have a cake and eat it too? You know, that is probably an honest assessment. Expecting too much for too little. I hope I did not belittle the car too much, I had high hopes, and still like it for what it is. I still kinda want it, a simple car. I was always sad to let my Saturn go. That too was a basic car.

I should start perusing southern CL's and find an elejefino find.
wink.gif

I think people need to adjust their expectations on what a subcompact car is.

My ECHO weighs 2000 pounds. At 80mph the thing is loud. Engine, wind, and road noise fill the cabin. Rough roads are even worse.

It's not going to perform like big luxury sedan and I don't expect it to.

Then again, there's different frames of reference. I wouldn't compare a 2002 Echo in terms of NVH to a current Sonic, Accent or Fiesta for example. A Fit still revs too high even with the 2015 MY reworking which creates a lot of the noise versus the competition whose engines are more relaxed at 70 mph.

Some of today's subcompacts feel like a bigger car when you drive them and not like my old Tercel which was subject to considerably more issues with vibrations, wind noise, ride quality, etc.

The base Versa is the closest thing to the old loss leader strippers so I personally wouldn't expect it to be competitive with the others. I saw a new Versa advertised here locally for the magic $9999 price after all the phony rebates. Haven't seen that in awhile. The Versa Note might be a bit of a different story.

It is interesting that the Note--which is the hatchback version, for the uninitiated--gets at least two upgrades the sedan lacks: power mirrors, and head rests that move up front. Neither has a trunk release lever, although I am not sure if the hatch has a manual lock or not (can you leave it unlocked and open at will, without a key? not sure). Unfortunately I did not drive the Note (yet?) to see if it has the same lack of noise dampening.

What kinda bugs me is the fact that black is the only interior color. People hate gray but somehow endless black is ok? or is this again how Nissan pushes you to go upscale?

With the whole family in the car it definitely is too small. My wife and I are on the smaller build, and it was odd to have sit so close to me--felt almost shoulder to shoulder. OTOH I would never have everyone in this car so I don't care about that.

My wife and I are on the smaller build, and it was odd to have sit so close to me--felt almost shoulder to shoulder. OTOH I would never have everyone in this car so I don't care about that.

Make sure you're 100% OK with that feeling. You might not have the whole family in the car but odds are you will drive with your wife sometimes. That shoulder to shoulder feeling is why I eliminated the Tacoma as a possibility.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the Note doesn't deviate much from the lesser model in that it's still a bit noisy and relatively low powered in relation to the competition. Around here, I'm seeing the Note at about 2-3K more than the base model when bought new...but I think that relates to upgrades and options vs. a materially different driving experience. I might buy a used one if the price was right but new I personally don't find them as competitive cars. YMMV. If the price is right and it's purpose-driven in a way that's agreeable to you, it certainly might fit the bill.

I bought a 2013 Hyundai Accent SE hatchback as a commuter car and I've been impressed over the two years I've had it. I say that basically because I think there's a noticeable contrast between something like the Accent, Sonic, or Fiesta mentioned in my last post and the Versa. Edmunds.com has a comparison between the Accent and the Versa SL they did a couple years ago that plays up the point. It's still on their site. I don't doubt that the Fiesta and Sonic as comparable examples would fair the same way. Whether that ultimately matters to you when, for example, you get a good deal on a used Versa or not is certainly a personal decision.

This is exactly what I'd want in a car. If a tree fell on the Focus tomorrow, I'd try to find this or a Mirage. Or maybe a note.

The buzzyness doesn't bother me. I would try to figure out a way to add power locks from the inside.

I don't like, at all, that the intake manifold has to come off to change the plugs.

I think if you could get a good enough deal on it, it would be worth buying some sound deadening and putting it under the carpet.

The difference between a sub compact and a compact is about $3000 when they're on sale. You get a lot more with the civic or corolla including resale.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is exactly what I'd want in a car. If a tree fell on the Focus tomorrow, I'd try to find this or a Mirage. Or maybe a note.

The buzzyness doesn't bother me. I would try to figure out a way to add power locks from the inside.

I don't like, at all, that the intake manifold has to come off to change the plugs.

I think if you could get a good enough deal on it, it would be worth buying some sound deadening and putting it under the carpet.

I am largely in a agreement. I have two vehicles which I find very nice. I like them. They, to me, are as nice as I need or want. I do not want to pay for a third. Would it be nice? Sure. But not if I have to pay for it. I think I can get over the power locks in short order.

The noise, well... Tomorrow I want to run into Home Depot and look. I want to say there is some sort of carpet underlayment, and I bet it works as noise suppressor. Put that under the carpet. Or on top of, lets be real, the carpet isn't very thick at all. I wonder about getting that pink eggcrate stuff, the sort you out under mattresses or for packing material, and stuffing behind the dash. Pop the door panels off and put anything behind them.

The intake biz is stupid, but IIRC the plugs are good for 100k, and the coolant for 105k. I bet both will go to 120k if you wanted... I saw in a thread that to do the serpentine you pull a wheel and the liner.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No A/C is adeal killer.

A/C is a deal killer. Paying more for increased parasitic loss doesn't appeal to me.

Two points:

Its a lot warmer in most parts of the US than the UK.

Secondly modern cars get better mileage with the AC on and the windows up. I can actually see the affects at 50-60 on my trucks instant MPG readout.

Their is no way to drive a lot and not spend a lot of money, .55 cents a mile is the IRS tax write off for a reason.

A lot of guys I know who rack up miles ie 50k a year on a vehicle either buy a basic car like a Camry than trade it after two years. $10k in depreciation and not really any repairs. Or they drive trucks, eat the fuel and run them to 300k.

One guy that works with my dad gets a company vehicle, it was part of his package when they hired him. He probably averages all of 50k a year on it, and gets a new one every 18 months. They buy him a Ford F250 fairly well equipped, company also pays for gas... After around 80k miles the trucks are rotated to another division where they see little mileage and are than destroyed over the next 5. Before being sold for about $3k as plow trucks.

If I drove that much I'd buy a new car every 2-3 years for around $20k, than trade in right around 100k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
No A/C is adeal killer.

A/C is a deal killer. Paying more for increased parasitic loss doesn't appeal to me.

Two points:

Secondly modern cars get better mileage with the AC on and the windows up. I can actually see the affects at 50-60 on my trucks instant MPG readout.
Yup, when its 115 degrees outside (46 Celsius) then not having A/C is unacceptable. I'd rather have a 10 mpg drop if that meant I had A/C

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
The difference between a sub compact and a compact is about $3000 when they're on sale. You get a lot more with the civic or corolla including resale.

Absolutely agree. The $3000 is peanuts when you spread it over the likely 10yrs+ you'll keep the Compact vs subcompact for 5 years. Also the compact is much easier sale.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

But there is a lot more to go wrong with the higher featured cars. Will they go wrong? Probably not. But if one is buying for resale ... they'd be best not going with a new car and taking the depreciation hit.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I am largely in a agreement. I have two vehicles which I find very nice. I like them. They, to me, are as nice as I need or want. I do not want to pay for a third. Would it be nice? Sure. But not if I have to pay for it. I think I can get over the power locks in short order.

The noise, well... Tomorrow I want to run into Home Depot and look. I want to say there is some sort of carpet underlayment, and I bet it works as noise suppressor. Put that under the carpet. Or on top of, lets be real, the carpet isn't very thick at all. I wonder about getting that pink eggcrate stuff, the sort you out under mattresses or for packing material, and stuffing behind the dash. Pop the door panels off and put anything behind them.

The intake biz is stupid, but IIRC the plugs are good for 100k, and the coolant for 105k. I bet both will go to 120k if you wanted... I saw in a thread that to do the serpentine you pull a wheel and the liner.

I like to change sparkplugs and coolant early. I changed the plugs at 36K on the Focus and coolant will probably be swapped out this summer (around 55K). I guess I would settle for 60 on both in a Versa.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
No A/C is adeal killer.

Two points:

Yup, when its 115 degrees outside (46 Celsius) then not having A/C is unacceptable. I'd rather have a 10 mpg drop if that meant I had A/C

If it's a dry heat, I could do it. When I was in Las Vegas it was 115 out with almost no humidity. It was sweaty and I could just feel the ridiculous heat, but I had no problems breathing.

It's been getting progressively worse, but I just can not get any air when it's humid out. Not like an asthma attack - the air goes in and out fine, my lungs don't work. I could live with a dry heat - but I do, unfortunately, find myself needing A/C when it's humid out. I enjoy the heat and I'll often run the A/C in the car on a moderate setting just to dry the air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back