Nissan Versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Same idea as the Aries/Reliant America cars back in 88,no frill cars at an affordable price.However the K cars could last 20+ years with care,no way a Versa will last even 10.

Not to troll, but back in '08 I do not recall seeing many K cars. I know they morphed into something else (Acclaim, etc) which I see... about as many of.

I see your point about simple cars, meant to be basic, but they are here today and gone tomorrow. My mother had the Plymouth Acclaim, and looking back it was a good car. Three speed auto with the gearshift in the right spot (column), did its job despite three abusive teenagers. The 2.5 trooped onto the end, and the trans was done for at 150k, but honestly the whole car was. For the era, not bad.

Simple cars which give no grief for five years, not much trouble for another five, then are pitched when the whole thing is toast (or given to a college student). If you ask me, an elegant design really, balancing cost and longevity with functionality.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: Rand
where are you finding a patriot for
I'm thinking of a cheap new car too. However, I bought a brand new Nissan Titan in 2007 (still have it) and won't buy Nissan again. Their overall quality has declined and do not like to provide warranty service. It's a good thing my model is reliable. I'm sure if it had significant problems it would be miserable trying to get them to honor the warranty. Example: tail pipe fell off due to rust during warranty period and their response was I should have drove the truck more to prevent rust. 8 year old truck with 73K miles.

Go test drive the Jeep Patriot base model. 30MPG new car with longer warranty for $11,871. I'm typically an "import" buyer but this Jeep's motor has "import" written all over it.

Dealer here is selling base model 2014 for 11870 and a 2015 for 12970. Manual windows, manual locks, no A/C, 2.0L, 5 speed. I was considering this vehicle but no longer. There's a class action lawsuit against Chrysler because enough of them have leaks in the sheet metal welds causing lots of water to seep in and in my climate cause mold. They got the motor right but couldn't seem (pun!) to get their welds waterproofed at the seams. No thanks.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5&order=desc

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkland.com/inventory/view/Model/Patriot/New/SortBy0/

18k MSRP, with 8k off, for 9.5k? wowzer.

Originally Posted By: supton

18k MSRP, with 8k off, for 9.5k? wowzer.

No, you hafta have a lease return to get all the discounts. I don't get recent college or active duty military discounts either hence the prices I listed. Great deal but not for a leaky tub in my climate. Moldmobile!

Dealer here is selling base model 2014 for 11870 and a 2015 for 12970. Manual windows, manual locks, no A/C, 2.0L, 5 speed. I was considering this vehicle but no longer. There's a class action lawsuit against Chrysler because enough of them have leaks in the sheet metal welds causing lots of water to seep in and in my climate cause mold. They got the motor right but couldn't seem (pun!) to get their welds waterproofed at the seams. No thanks.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5&order=desc

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkland.com/inventory/view/Model/Patriot/New/SortBy0/

I thought that was just sunroof equipped models. Is there another lawsuit for water leakage?

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
.. my issue with them is there is a "little too much" Renault in them ..

Precisely, Watson.

Can you elaborate? I have never driven a Renault.

They are kind of like the French version of Chrysler.
If you get a good one, it is pretty good.
If you get a bad one, things can get pretty ugly.
When they took over the old American Motors in the early 80's, the three primary issues were body integrity (including rust), electrical issues and transmission problems. Judging by recent comments, quality may have improved some, but many of the same issues are still there:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/renault/megane/hatchback/owner-reviews/page/1/0

If I remember correctly, Renault saved Nissan when things were going south.
I believe much of Nissan's current product are Renault designs. Looks like there is some correlation of issues between the two marques.

I appreciate the explanation.

At first , I found your explanation to be a damper. Then I remembered: my VW is exactly like that. Get a good one, and life is peachy. Get a bad one, and you wonder why you didn't buy a bicycle instead.

Unsure what to make of it ultimately. Will peruse the Nissan forums I guess. VW forums have massive support for their "quirks".

I appreciate the explanation.

At first , I found your explanation to be a damper. Then I remembered: my VW is exactly like that. Get a good one, and life is peachy. Get a bad one, and you wonder why you didn't buy a bicycle instead.

Unsure what to make of it ultimately. Will peruse the Nissan forums I guess. VW forums have massive support for their "quirks".
Lol I always wondered about that with the TDI forums, they talk about how they're so cheap to own and amazingly reliable but when it needs $3,000 in repairs and they just did $2,000 in mods 6 months prior on a 13 year old Golf, I try to understand the reasoning.

I am a bit surprise with the view of cars lasting 5years/100k. Majority of vehicles are actually designed with components have design life of 150k and many go well beyond.

We have a 2005 Subaru Legacy/190k and there is a few rust dots finally showing up but for us we plan on another 5 years ownership.

Getting rid of a vehicle at 5years is the steepest part of depreciation while the following years it considered levels out.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am a bit surprise with the view of cars lasting 5years/100k. Majority of vehicles are actually designed with components have design life of 150k and many go well beyond.

We have a 2005 Subaru Legacy/190k and there is a few rust dots finally showing up but for us we plan on another 5 years ownership.

Getting rid of a vehicle at 5years is the steepest part of depreciation while the following years it considered levels out.

I'm not sure if that is directed at me or not, but I am after 5yr/100k without repairs, then another 50k with minimal repairs, then revaluate if I want continue on or not.

I did after take a VW to the other side of 300k. I do wonder about just putting more money into it. One more year and I need a timing belt, camshaft and rear suspension rebuild. Should not be more than 1500-2000 next year. This year will involve some time with a sander and a can of primer, along with the question of if the inspection station will find the exhaust leaks or not (at least one I've found so far).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No A/C is adeal killer.

A/C is a deal killer. Paying more for increased parasitic loss doesn't appeal to me.

ac is a must. Half of why I am looking again is because mine quit. I think I can fix it for $120 or so, assuming nothing in an untouched 11yr old system breaks...

I wear casual business attire to work. Dress slacks, button shirt. Almost to the point where I dress like that on the weekends. I could change into shorts and a tee to drive home I guess... drive 65mph with the window down... for that hour long commute, each way... Lemme think about it.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
drive 'em till they rust apart

I really want to agree with you. Most and best financial advice. No doubt. But I have lost brakes before (thankfully not from a blown line), and have sworn that I will never be in that position again. Yeah, I could proactively replace brake lines, I know. But for me, it is just a bridge too far.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No A/C is a deal killer.

A/C is a deal killer. Paying more for increased parasitic loss doesn't appeal to me.

Arriving to work covered in sweat is no fun, neither is driving in the rain and windshield is all fogged up with no A/C.

Wait, the Nissan Versa doesn't have A/C!? I can't believe they still make cars without A/C.

I've driven the 1970 Beetle (No A/C) the past few days and thought I was going to die, but then again this is Arizona.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Wait, the Nissan Versa doesn't have A/C!?

Who said that it doesn't?

I believe they were talking about the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Wait, the Nissan Versa doesn't have A/C!?

Who said that it doesn't?

I believe they were talking about the Jeep.

Ya, was talking about the cheap jeep moldmobile. My apology for the thread hijack. Pls resume nissan versa discussion.
smile.gif

More on the Versa:

We needed to run to Concord as a family, so I said, let's go in and get a family opinion--my wife is much better at being impartial than I. So we stopped, and test drove again. I was able to take the car out sans sales rep, and this time I took it for a longer drive, up the length of 393.

We so wanted to like the car, but after about 3 minutes at 60 (let alone typical highway speeds) we had enough. Just too much engine noise. If I never went past 40 it would be ok, but it was droning on and on... Perhaps we are spoiled by our Camry and our Tundra; but my Jetta is no sanctuary these days. We both agreed, can live without the options, a basic car for basic needs. Looks good on paper. But man, the noise...

The sales rep pointed to a 2012 Versa hatch. Ok, let's try that out. 1.8L with six speed manual. I hoped for less rpm but nope, it too turned 3k at 60mph. I thought it had a bit more spunk though, certainly had more options (power windows, locks, mirrors, and soft surfaces on the doors)--but more importantly: sound dampening! Much more quiet ride.

I don't know if a roll of sound proofing would magically fix the Versa, but man I'm disappointed. I really wanted to justify myself into it. We both did think the ac was a bit weak; the black interior is a hindrance no doubt. People hate on beige/gray but we find it works well in our Toyotas.

[That 2012 Versa is off my radar. I stopped and looked underneath; a 2012 with 32k on the clock. Had typical NH road salt damage--nothing severe but no mistaking it. That is why I really want to buy new these days, oil coat it the first day home! I left the engine running and pulled the dipstick. It looked dry--no surprise, it's running!--but... it had a recent oil change, so the oil was clear--but there was this garbage on the dipstick. Rust? Sludge? Probably sludge getting kicked up by a recent oil change, by the dealer. Err, lemme get back to you... Once home, turns out that a 2012 Versa with 6M is rated at 31mpg highway. i'd be better off finding another Camry like mine, stickshift, once I get the Redline out of the tranny it ought to be back at 32-34. what is the point of a low mpg compact?]

Oh, one last thing we found: on both Versa's if you lock the door and then try the inside door pull, the door will not open. You must unlock the door. This is unlike our current vehicles, where if the door is locked you just pull the door handle and it unlocks for you. [My VW for some odd reason requires two pulls on the door handle.] The Versa with power locks did unlock the doors when I took the key out of the ignition, so it did have that going for it.

I agree if it's unbearable it's definitely a no-go. I didn't think it would be that bad but I don't know much about Nissans. It's too bad you can't get a good used car down south. How can a 6 speed manual do 3k RPMs at 60 mph? That's ridiculous. My 97' Camry had a 4 speed auto that was 3k RPMs at 80 mph, at 65 mph it got almost 37 mpg and at 80 mph it got 33 mpg. Why can't a Nissan do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back