spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As your personal rule of thumb, how long do you let sparkplugs go ?

Regular plugs ?

Iridium plugs ?

I should add anyone can look this up in a book, im curious as to how long YOU let either of these two go and why.

Last edited:
Depends on the application. Performance cars need more frequent changes. Plugs are so cheap that I just do it once a year (disclaimer: I run the ultra-sharp 0.4mm Denso Iridiums that need frequent changing).

My personal rule has been no more than 50,000 on a set of regular plugs.

Now on my last Accord i changed the Iridiums at 100,000 miles by recomendation (they were still perfoming fine.. The 07 Accord has 90,000 and still has the factory plugs in it (and is still sharp as a tack) with no problems. Same with my Silverado, its got 75,xxx on the clock with the factory Iridiums in it.. Its been recomended by my shops to swap them at 100,000 and im sure i will.. im just curious what everyone else is doing.

I wouldnt even let Iridium,let alone Double Platinum or Single Platinum go 100K miles.Pulling some at 70-80K is a scary sight.Erosion,platinum pad removal,broken ceramic insulators.A lot of damage can happen to a plug in even 80,000 miles!

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I should add anyone can look this up in a book, im curious as to how long YOU let either of these two go and why.

I let them go as long as the "book" says. My wild guess is that they didn't write the "book" just for laughs, but that they actually meant something by writing it.

I just replaced the AC Delco iridium spark plugs in my Saturn Aura. As far as I know, they were the original plugs and my car currently has 93,000 miles. They looked good for almost 100k. I just wanted to change them for peace of mind.

My old 89 Pontiac Sunbird that I use to have, got a tune up around 90k miles. It was puttering though and stalling out on the highways, I didnt know any better since it was my first car. I was car illiterate back then.

So depending on the plug type and how the car is performing, I let plugs go for anywhere from 50k to 100k, but no more than 100k.

I don't even think of 'How Long'
I might check them every 20-30k but I have seen them (and I'm talking standard Copper plugs) looking good at 100k, and I've let them go until there is an issue.

In the past I have had more issues after changing plugs, than just running what I have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

I let them go as long as the "book" says. My wild guess is that they didn't write the "book" just for laughs, but that they actually meant something by writing it.

heaven forbid we think for ourselves or experiment.. they tell us to change our oil at 3,000 miles to.. and as crazy as it sounds im guessing that some recomendations are just a little crazy or even geared to get you to spend some more money ????

I have Rotella T6 HDEO in my motorcycles and my ATV's but wait, thats "Diesel oil".. thats not a motorcycle specific oil.. better dump it and put in exactly what the book calls for.. My yamaha book says only use Yamalube ?? the bike may implode without it ???

Are you getting my drift yet ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
I don't even think of 'How Long'
I might check them every 20-30k but I have seen them (and I'm talking standard Copper plugs) looking good at 100k, and I've let them go until there is an issue.

In the past I have had more issues after changing plugs, than just running what I have.

I would wait til it actually misfires

The good thing about plugs is that you can visually inspect and tell if they need replacement -- hard to do that with oil.

7 years or 75,000 miles on my V6 Accord Platinums. I don't want a stripped plug.

I finally replaced the iridium plugs on the wife's suv with 116k (i think) on the clock. After installing new plugs, we couldn't tell it ran any different.

Honestly till they have been a problem.

My WRX went 90k and was sold running perfectly. Our 2005 Legacy GT turbo went 150k on oem plugs. It ran into an intermitent skip which turned out to be a bad spark plug coil.

The plugs in Legacy were actually in decent shape to the mechanics surprise and he said no issues removing them.

My Honda Civic 95 I think I did them at 100k even though it required every 30k miles. Sold at 225k miles and it was still running fine.

Let's keep this in mind - car makers recommend 100k mile plug changes to make their cars more "maintenance free" as a selling point. However, they also have to warranty certain emmission components for 80k miles per Federal rules of which plugs are one of these items. That's why the change was to platinum and then iridium plugs. Add to this that the 100k mile change is usually for normal/light use and does not fit everyone's driving style and circumstances.

Because of the above points, I will always change platinum or iridium plugs around 60-70k miles. As plugs wear, the ignition system has to work harder and plugs are cheaper than coils and other parts nowadays. Add to this the possibility of thread issues with plugs in there too long and I think you can see the benefit of shorter plug changes.

I am looking forward to owning a vehicle that can run plugs a long time.

Both our '04 Jeeps recommend replacing plugs every 30k. When doing so, the 4.0 is noticeably smoother after replacement, and the 2.4 seems to have more power and smoother at idle with the AC on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back