2001 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9L - Question on Spark Plugs

I've searched around a bit, but I'm unable to find a straight answer. I would like to buy my cousin a set of spark plugs for his truck. I do know to buy Champion spark plugs, but I don't know whether to go copper or platinum (or possibly iridium). Does anyone know which one to buy?

The original plugs were copper. With that being said you can replace with copper or upgrade a notch to a platinum. I, personally, would go with a platinum plug and that will serve you atleast 60-80k miles while not being as expensive as an iridium.

ran platinums in my old dakota 3.9 no issues . can't recall if it ran any better than the coppers.

Platinums caused pinging issues on my 5.9 magnum in my 97 Ram. Runs better with the OEM standard champions and can now run a lower octane fuel. Only downside is they don’t last as long.

Fixed many a Chrysler Jeep Ram of that era by replacing whatever customers threw in their engines with the factory copper plugs. Not sure if the customer / other shop switched to platinum / iridium / etc of the wrong part number / cross referenced them wrong, or if Chryslers really just don’t like plugs other than copper. Copper is so cheap and they run so well on them I’ve always just stuck with what comes out.

Fixed many a Chrysler Jeep Ram of that era by replacing whatever customers threw in their engines with the factory copper plugs. Not sure if the customer / other shop switched to platinum / iridium / etc of the wrong part number / cross referenced them wrong, or if Chryslers really just don’t like plugs other than copper. Copper is so cheap and they run so well on them I’ve always just stuck with what comes out.
True on the older stuff. Later on they spec'd platinum or iridiums. My 2016 Ram Hemi 5.7 came with Iridium and I replaced with Iridium. My older 2000 Jeep XJ came with coppers but I always ran autolite Platinums in it with great results actually.

I've searched around a bit, but I'm unable to find a straight answer. I would like to buy my cousin a set of spark plugs for his truck. I do know to buy Champion spark plugs, but I don't know whether to go copper or platinum (or possibly iridium). Does anyone know which one to buy?
Depends if you want him to do his next plug change at 30k miles or 100k miles. Performance wise, not much difference.

put over 285K miles on a 2000 Durango with the 5.2 and tried twice using platinum instead of copper. Went back to copper both times and never tried anything else. Plugs were easy to change. Also seemed sensitive to have spark plug wires in reasonably good quality/condition.

Back