Spark Plugs - is there a "Best" one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to chuckle at all the nonsensical comments about Bosch plugs. I've used them in dozens of different cars and never had a problem, also have friends and relatives that have used them and never once a problem.

The only time there is a problem is what people use the wrong plug for an application.

Most of the time a manufacturer will state when a certain type of electrode or multiple electrodes are required or not.

If you do not follow the mfr recommendations you are going to have problems.

My rule of thumb is only use the number of electrodes and the heat temperature that came with your car, you'll have NO issues.

Silver, platinum, iridium is mostly marketing.

Multiple electrodes DO increase the life of the plug.

Copper plugs work fine in just about any product as long as you change them in about 30k miles.

Originally Posted By: urchin
The only time there is a problem is what people use the wrong plug for an application.

This is wrong. I've personally seen and experienced Bosch +2s and +4s develop misfires at relatively low mileage (less than 10K) when using the part number Bosch recommends for the application, all due to the teeny, tiny ground straps they use on those plugs which aren't up to the task in every application Bosch says they are.

Has anyone ever heard the old tale about Bosch Platinum burning a hole in the top of a piston? I personally like Bosch Platinum plugs. Been using them for a long time.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Not really nowadays, especially for Japanese cars, due to the emission compliance, many cars comes with exotic plug (Denso SIP) from sport sedan to minivan

Like I said, when they NEED TO. Then and only then will they.

Perfect example... 5.7 Hemi from Chrysler ships with 16 coppers. Purely cost control. 30k mile intervals.

6.1 liter hemi ships with NGK platinum/iridium hybrids. Low volume/higher profit vehicle with virtually the exact same ignition system. 105k mile intervals!!!

If it's a truly mass produced high volume vehicle it's been optimized by the bean counters for profits.

Bosch seems to be OK only where they are factory types.
We stopped using them in the shop. Misfires now or later are common. It's not worth the chance that they might work.

This is known by almost all mechanics in the field. It is the general consensus.

I tend to prefer NGK, but have had good luck with Autolite plugs.

I have NGKs in my Honda CRV
I used Autolite in my Dodge Caravan and it runs great
2-cycle snowblower = NGK
2-cycle Echo Trimmer = NGK (no alternate plug available)
B&S lawn mower = Autolite
B&S pressure wahser = Autolite

The only problems plugs I have ever had are Bosch. I used to get them at Lowes for the small engines because that's all they ever had in stock and I had misfires, complete failures, cracked plugs, etc. Got hooked on Autolite for small engines because AA has them in their small engine section.

Originally Posted By: urchin
I have to chuckle at all the nonsensical comments about Bosch plugs. I've used them in dozens of different cars and never had a problem, also have friends and relatives that have used them and never once a problem.

Most of the time a manufacturer will state when a certain type of electrode or multiple electrodes are required or not.

If you do not follow the mfr recommendations you are going to have problems.

My rule of thumb is only use the number of electrodes and the heat temperature that came with your car, you'll have NO issues.

Silver, platinum, iridium is mostly marketing.

Multiple electrodes DO increase the life of the plug.

Copper plugs work fine in just about any product as long as you change them in about 30k miles.

To be honest, the last Bosch I tried is the Platinum Ir Fusion, it is quite good compared than the old Platinum, but the fused center electrode may prone to failure to ignite due to carbon deposit, and the large surface gap and small Coil On Plug may not work perfectly.

However, I've just checked recently that Bosch now redo their OE Iridium to compete with others and seems good on the paper, so as long as the gap can be adjusted it may work great. But IMO, performance-wise it still can not compete with Denso SIP which use fine tip on both center and ground electrode.
Maybe someone need a plug change, can give a try since the pricing is quite reasonable with the rebate.

Denso and NGK always seem to get good reviews even on some GM Truck forums that I have visited(not frequented). I have always had good succuss with NGK myself and the worst plug I have ever used consistantly were Champion. They'er[Champion] quality at one time was so poor, that I can't even bring myself to ever use them again, I don't care!

I remember at that time, Champion was advertising that they were OE in FARRARI. Well, maybe the plugs that Champion made for Ferrari's were fine but for every Chrysler that I owned, they were junk and I even had better luck with Bosch in a Mopar.

Last edited:
I would expect the GM forums to like NGK, as they make the stock AC/Delco's now. One of the more expensive OE plugs used out there.

We are among the many who used Bosch across nine different platforms with nary a miss or problem. Ran one set for YEARS in one of my work vans. Actually forgot about them!

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
There are soooooo many choices and so many brands since I went to automotive school in 73-75. All I ever had to deal with was "regular or resistor"?

For my 70 Mk III with a 460 - what plug is "best" for it? Please explain your recommendation, I'm trying to learn what's good now and why. I have a set of Autolite Platinum's in it right now.

Thanks guys!

btw, it's high compression engine, running premium, and I have the points replaced by a Pertronix II ignition module.
For most,people,just run the oem splug. No way your going to find a "better" plug,unless you want to open 2 a days. Lol. Keep it simple,and keep it oem.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I can't speak for Ford 460's, but for the small block Fords, plain cheap copper core Motorcraft or Autolite are best. The engines really don't like platinum plugs. Not saying it won't run, but the best performance for the engine type comes from a copper core plug with a wider gap from a hotter ignition coil.

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of platinum plugs, but in some applications they just don't work.

Weird, I've had no issues with platinum plugs in 302's......

What plats do you run? I've always had an inconsistent idle when I tried to put them on 302s. On my truck, I've replaced every electronic component and vacuum hose and still can't get a consistent/stable idle unless I use plain copper core Motorcraft/Autolite.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I can't speak for Ford 460's, but for the small block Fords, plain cheap copper core Motorcraft or Autolite are best. The engines really don't like platinum plugs. Not saying it won't run, but the best performance for the engine type comes from a copper core plug with a wider gap from a hotter ignition coil.

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of platinum plugs, but in some applications they just don't work.

Weird, I've had no issues with platinum plugs in 302's......

What plats do you run? I've always had an inconsistent idle when I tried to put them on 302s. On my truck, I've replaced every electronic component and vacuum hose and still can't get a consistent/stable idle unless I use plain copper core Motorcraft/Autolite.

I used Motorcraft and NGK. Both worked perfectly.

Originally Posted By: FZ1

For most,people,just run the oem splug. No way your going to find a "better" plug,unless you want to open 2 a days. Lol. Keep it simple,and keep it oem.

In a lot of cases you're probably right, but that isn't the case with my Corvette. When I bought my car it had 32k on it and still had the original AC Delco Platinum plugs in it. A week after I got the car I took it to a performance shop and put it on their dyno and during the session they also had it hooked up to a scan tool and they noticed it was pulling out about ten degrees of timing at full throttle! Because I had fresh 94 octane in the tank, we ruled out fuel as the culprit, so we decided to put in a fresh set of NGK V-power plugs. When the old plugs came out, almost all of them were missing the platinum "discs" on them, and that meant the gaps were way too high (.080 instead of .050) With the fresh plugs in there, the next dyno run showed a 10rwhp improvement and the ECM was no longer pulling out any timing at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back