Spark Plugs for 2013 Accord Earth Dreams K24W. Is the Denso TT ok here??

The car doesn't need them right now, but it's a good time to post since there have been a few threads on here lately about spark plugs and the topic is trendy now
laugh.gif

Like most recent Japanese cars, the OE spark plugs are a twin-tip iridium design, NGK or Denso (the car might even have 2 NGK and 2 Densos in it now)
lol.gif

Denso #3492
NGK #96964

Unfortunately, they are so expensive! The parts stores charge $20 each, and the dealer charges $30
mad.gif

Bosch also makes an OE-spec iridium (they call it pin-to-pin), but it isn't any cheaper than the NGK.

Luckily, Denso also makes their Iridium TT for this car. Part #4712
(the OE Denso is also a twin-tip iridium, but Denso calls that one Iridium Long-Life SIP)
The aftermarket TT is less than $10 at Napa and Autozone. Pep Boys has it even cheaper, but they only have one in stock and probably won't be able to get the other 3 soon (see below)

Usually the Denso TT and the Iridium LL are priced about the same, rarely more than $2 difference

Rock Auto doesn't have either Denso in stock, and the Opticat lists both of them as temporarily unavailable
crazy2.gif

If Rock Auto carried the TT, it would probably be about $5 each. Hopefully Denso will be making them again when the car needs them. Denso usually costs less than NGK on their site.
This also means that independent parts stores that get their parts from Auto Value or Parts Authority don't have them and can't get them, either, as Rock Auto usually ships from warehouses affiliated with those two.

Rock Auto has the NGK iridium in stock, but they are still over $10 each, and you have to pay shipping.

When it is time to replace them, I will buy the new plugs from Rock Auto, Napa, AAP, or Autozone. I am aware of all the fakes out there on eBay and Amazon
smile.gif

So, is the aftermarket Denso TT ok to use on the 2013-2017 9th gen Accord Earth Dreams K24W?

The owners manual lists - NGK DILKAR7G11GS or DENSO DXE22HQR-D11S. Either is kind of pricey, Rock Auto has a 5% discount code...every little bit helps. I prefer Denso's, currently out of stock at R.A. NGK 96964 are $11.78 each at R.A. right now

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I would use the NGK or Denso and not think twice. I'm all for OEM parts but not for $30ea.

Besides there aren't "Honda" spark plugs, just like there aren't Toyota ones. The times I've bought them from the dealer they are in the respective OEM boxes but the plugs are either NGK or Denso.

You can get Honda relabeled Denso plugs on line at a discounted price from any number of Honda dealers. To that you have to add shipping, which is around $12.90 for a set of four at most places I've checked, but the total will be well under the $30x4 your dealer is apparently asking.

Last edited:
I would say yeah why not.... I have the exact same spark plug in my car right now. The TT iridium 4712 plugs.

I like you was not interested in paying $18+ dollars a spark plug. .

The Denso website mentions these plugs can go over 100 hundred thousand plus miles... Which I take to mean they can last even longer than 100k miles. Say 110k, 120k, maybe say 130k thousand miles...

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by ctechbob
I would use the NGK or Denso and not think twice. I'm all for OEM parts but not for $30ea.

Besides there aren't "Honda" spark plugs, just like there aren't Toyota ones. The times I've bought them from the dealer they are in the respective OEM boxes but the plugs are either NGK or Denso.

Correct, not entirely clear in my post on that. Basically, I'm not buying the same plug from a Honda dealer for $30 that I can get elsewhere and be 99.9999% sure its the real deal for $11.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I would say yeah why not.... I have the exact same spark plug in my car right now. The TT iridium 4712 plugs.

The Denso website mentions these plugs can go over 100 hundred thousand plus miles... Which I take to mean they can last even longer than 100k miles. Say 110k, 120k, maybe say 130k thousand miles...

I have 3 cars with V6 mounted transverse. Rear plugs are a PAIN to access. The low mileage car has 170K on original plugs and I have no intention of replacing them until they fail.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil

I have 3 cars with V6 mounted transverse. Rear plugs are a PAIN to access. The low mileage car has 170K on original plugs and I have no intention of replacing them until they fail.

For those, use ruthenium, if they make them for your car
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted by bbhero

Don't blame ya there ^^^^^^^^

I had 140,000+ miles on my Denso long life iridium plugs....

Back