Spark plugs at 32,715 miles. How do they look?

I replaced the plugs on my 2017 Elantra SE and installed Autolite XP5702. Wanted comments on the Yuri OEM plugs I removed. To me they do not look good. Car was running good, just replacing since this generation Elantra has had reports of issues with plugs or ignition coils that cause poor running or misfire codes.

View attachment 61577

They look fine and in great shape.

I'd reinstall them, and give them another 75,000 miles.

Agreed, I'm not a big Autolite fan but wait and see how they work for you. Next time try some NGK's
in your car.
When I looked at the box I had a good feeling. It said FRAM Group IP LLC. I have great experiences with Fram products. NGK also. I just do not trust Hyundai or Yuri plugs.

I love NGK. Just did not see one for this car or anyone who has experience using it in my Elantra.
What engine ? NGK indicates that they are (one of) the OE provider for spark plugs for the 1.6L engine. Oddly, they don't offer anything for the 1.4L or 2.0L engines.

What engine ? NGK indicates that they are (one of) the OE provider for spark plugs for the 1.6L engine. Oddly, they don't offer anything for the 1.4L or 2.0L engines.
I have the 2.0 Atkinson. It seems the 2.0 Atkinson has limited parts available, not just plugs.

They look great, but spark plugs are cheap and I think it was a good experience to check and see how they did. For this next set, I'd stretch them further maybe to 40k-45k miles.

It's the BITOG'er in us to want to stretch everything to it's full capacity of life and to be cheapskates. But honestly, you changed them at 62% of their rated interval, which on a $24 set of spark plugs means you possibly wasted $9 worth of life. Big whoop. That's the cost of a Subway sandwich.

They look great, but spark plugs are cheap and I think it was a good experience to check and see how they did. For this next set, I'd stretch them further maybe to 40k-45k miles.

It's the BITOG'er in us to want to stretch everything to it's full capacity of life and to be cheapskates. But honestly, you changed them at 62% of their rated interval, which on a $24 set of spark plugs means you possibly wasted $9 worth of life. Big whoop. That's the cost of a Subway sandwich.
You never know. I may get better gas mileage and save more than $24 over time. What I gained is experience and peace of mind. Some things do not have a dollar value.

Hope they indexed correctly.
I had to look that up. Putting Autolite next to the Yuri plug they look identical. That may be one reason other plugs do not work for this application.
20210626_153015_HDR_resized.jpg

You did good. 1. By listening to a expert. 2. By doing it yourself. The only person you have to please is the one in the mirror.:)
Point 1 and 2. I agree. The only person I have to please is the lady of the house. The thing is she does not bother me when I am working on my car in the garage. Now you know the real reason I changed the plugs.

Between posts I changed a bad light fixture in her closet so I am putting those maintenance skills I practiced today to good use.

if the car runs good leave it alone indefinitely
I agree. Then on the other hand I drive a Hyundai with know issues. I am taking an offensive stance. If I have car problems at work then a supervisor has to be called, reports made, etc. Changing plugs and having a spare coil is an insurance policy. I addressed one weak link today. The coil and code reader in my trunk will allow me to change the coil when a code is set. I may never need it, but see it as being prepared.

I am getting to the age where this may be the last plugs I ever change. I wanted that experience with my car. There is a sense of satisfaction in doing things yourself in a caring way.
Is that part of your bucket list? Surely there must be something a little more satisfying than swapping spark plugs, especially unnecessarily.

I currently have Champion iridium plugs in my '16 Sonata Hybrid with no issues after 15k miles so far. The plugs that were in before were Hyundai/KIA NGK plugs. Dealer wanted $28 per plug and the only aftermarket available was Champion at $4 a plug.

Is that part of your bucket list? Surely there must be something a little more satisfying than swapping spark plugs, especially unnecessarily.
I compare it to having the FF changed at 2,241 miles. Some people would say that is too early. I looked at the dipstick one day and felt it is time. Yesterday I was mowing the lawn. Right in the middle of mowing I felt like I should change my plugs. Following the inner feeling has always worked out for me. Living in the moment is very satisfying.

I thought I would get some lesson on how to read plugs.
I offer you this:

To me those plugs look a bit "dirty" but okay.
The threads show signs of seepage, as you mentioned they were under-torqued in the other forum.
I wonder if the Owners Manual has a shorter plug change interval because H/K knows the Yura plugs
can't be trusted for as long as (100K miles) iridium plugs from Denso, NGK, etc.

Where are these people when a Fram Ultra is removed at 7K miles Can't the "cheap insurance" mantra be invoked here? If so, why not?

Back