Spark plugs at 32,715 miles. How do they look?

I replaced the plugs on my 2017 Elantra SE and installed Autolite XP5702. Wanted comments on the Yuri OEM plugs I removed. To me they do not look good. Car was running good, just replacing since this generation Elantra has had reports of issues with plugs or ignition coils that cause poor running or misfire codes.

Elantra Spark Plugs 32715.jpg

This thread:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/yura-spark-plugs-dont-read-this.583761/

Dealership is 20 miles away. Wanted the experience of changing plugs. Took 30 minutes and costed $24.01 for plugs that were highly recommended by an automotive engineer. I also have a spare coil in my trunk. When they fail you have to have a code for dealership to replace. That does not always happen. I can see needing a tow to the dealership for a warranty repair that would cost me $35 for a coil and 5 minutes to switch out.

I gapped Autolites the same.
Anything that led you to Autolites in particular? I've always been told Autolites don't even belong in weed eaters. Part of me thinks there can't be THAT much a difference when it comes to iridium plugs.

I've heard Champion plugs are garbage too but the ones I took out of my Hyundai looked fantastic all things considered.

Anything that led you to Autolites in particular? I've always been told Autolites don't even belong in weed eaters. Part of me thinks there can't be THAT much a difference when it comes to iridium plugs.

I've heard Champion plugs are garbage too but the ones I took out of my Hyundai looked fantastic all things considered.
If you would read the thread by NicholasD you may understand. He was an automotive engineer. He had great results with these plugs. What I do is find someone much smarter than me that I trust. Then I follow what they recommend.

The replacement interval in manual for plugs is 52,500. Did them a little early while I still have a garage. You get spoiled when you have a garage vs working in the elements.

Why change them ? Because of "reports" ?

I would never put non-Japanese plugs (NGK or Denso only) in an Asian vehicle, for what that's worth.
It is a little more complex than reports. Their is a TSB on the coils. I wanted to learn how to change the coil if I have one go bad since the dealership alternative is has too many drawback. Since I was that far I thought I should change the plugs to ensure they were not the weak link if I get a code.

I love NGK. Just did not see one for this car or anyone who has experience using it in my Elantra.

Is this "maintenance log book" something from the dealer? The dealer always wants to sell you more service than needed. Still 105K interval in the factory maintenance schedule, https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/maintenance-schedule
No, it is from Hyundai and is a supplement that comes with the manual. I found it in my glove compartment in the sleeve with the manual. Just became aware of it recently. Dealer sold me one oil change and overfilled it. I have never been back. This car gets TLC from me. I get peace of mind it is well maintained even if it may seem over maintained to others.

I would never put non-Japanese plugs (NGK or Denso only) in an Asian vehicle, for what that's worth.
Agreed, I'm not a big Autolite fan but wait and see how they work for you. Next time try some NGK's
in your car.

Back