Spam Mail ending in .host?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been getting quite a bit of spam e-mail recently, more so than I had been for a while.

What I have noticed now is that the majority of the e-mail is ending in .host rather than .com.. is there a way to block anything coming from .host? I have yet to receive any legitimate e-mail ending in .host so I don't see any problem if I could block it all.

I have tried blocking each individual complete e-mail address but the battle continues. Being able to block a complete entity would be great!

Depends on your server, I honestly wish all web browsers could automatically reject any website that doesn't use the normal.com .edu .org or .net abbreviations since all pop ups and scams reside on the other domains

Sadly not the case

Well we can all thank our little buddy Billy Gates for building all those back doors.

Get a junk email account and keep you real email for your friends and family.
If they don't have an email that accepts a response back your USP should just SC the thing!

Last edited:
Yes, many email clients allow setting up filter rules to block something like that, or by block I mean don't download it, delete off server instead, or move to a quarantined/junk/trash/etc folder in case you still want to see what came in.

If instead of a client based email app, you're using a webmail interface, you'll have to muck around in that to see if filters can be set.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well we can all thank our little buddy Billy Gates for building all those back doors.

If they don't have an email that accepts a response back your USP should just SC the thing!

Bill hasn't had anything to do with email for a long while. And you can't really blame him for SMTP. But I suppose he's a handy body for some people and easy to throw under the bus even though he doesn't deserve it for this particular problem.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Bill hasn't had anything to do with email for a long while. And you can't really blame him for SMTP. But I suppose he's a handy body for some people and easy to throw under the bus even though he doesn't deserve it for this particular problem.

He own enough stock he can change it all no he's they guy.

The OP should post his email client and OS.

email via SMTP was around long before "640K" machines even could dial in @ 300bps. It is a published standard which developers of applications for any OS with TCP connectivity can implement.

email relaying and retrieval has nothing to do with the web, although some major companies have decided to "webify" email retrieval and sending, a development considered to be an abomination by many, including myself.

AFAIK, unless google has changed this, users can only process by moving or deletion emails they don't want to see. They cannot "block" emails since emails are received by a server working on their behalf. Yahoo has chosen to implement spam filters on my behalf, which I have to log into a website and review. the ones they have marked as spam; I would rather have them just deliver everything to my inbox, and let my email client (thunderbird) process it.

SPAM of course is a real problem, at the company I support, at the height of the SPAM attacks, we were rejecting about 800K messages a day and delivering about 2%

Since we have our own mail servers, we could implement other countermeasures such as blocking whole countries, setting up tar pits to slow spammers servers down by exxhausting their resources by "taking our time" responding to things...

I suggest using thunderbird as an email client; it has a robust spam filter and might do what you need.

Last edited:
The OP should post his email client and OS.

Well try not to laugh too loudly, but my main email is AOL. Yes, I am over 68 years old. Have had the account for the same amount of time I have had a computer with internet access, years and years! I remember having to use a C/D in order to first set up AOL with my dial up modem. Even remember having to pay a monthly charge for the AOL back then!

I do have Yahoo and G-mail also but 99% of all e-mail is through AOL. Haven't even given serious thought on how to transfer all of the accounts from AOL to the others. Afraid it would be pretty overwhelming. I am using Chrome as my browser if that matters.

At least all but one or two spam e-mails get delivered to my SPAM inbox everyday. Just a matter of deleting all of them when they hit but blocking .host would have been nice.

Thanks

AOL and Yahoo are the worst for Spam infiltration. Gmail is the one - most popular one to add. I get the least amount of spam using it, versus three others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back