Spam Calls After Entering PCH Sweepstakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

NoMoRobo is currently only available for land lines (VoIP is included, for the most part). None of the wireless providers has yet to adopt it. But, if anyone has evidence to the contrary I would be VERY interested.

Hummm... Although my phone is a cell, it uses hybrid calling (Republic Wireless) and if it is near a WiFi all calls come to it by VOIP through the WiFi. For instance, it's on my WiFi network 100% of the time I'm home, by way of my 5Ghz router. All calls while home are internet VOIP. Out about in the world, talk, text, and data work off of 3 or 4G/LTE as a regular cell phone.

I wonder if there would be some way to get NoMoRobo to work at home for my phone number then?

My phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) has a built-in feature that alerts you when known spam numbers are calling, and allows you to ignore and/or block them. It also allows you to report spam numbers. Seems to work quite well.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I second NoMoRobo! We have AT&T uVerse and was able to add that to our phone.

Most SPAM calls ring once and then are picked up by NoMoRobo.

All we have to ignore are all the No Number and Number Not Valid calls.

We just don't pick up for those.

NoMoRobo is currently only available for land lines (VoIP is included, for the most part). None of the wireless providers has yet to adopt it. But, if anyone has evidence to the contrary I would be VERY interested.

They have an APP now for iPhones. Android APP coming soon their site says.

The iPhone one is free for 30 days then $1.99 p/month.

http://www.nomorobo.com/ios/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
They have an APP now for iPhones. Android APP coming soon their site says.

The iPhone one is free for 30 days then $1.99 p/month.

http://www.nomorobo.com/ios/

I am going to keep an eye on this. I have an Android phone. Thank you!

I use Call Control on my android phone. The numbers get bounced and never ring. Easy to add numbers to the data base too.

I always keep my cell # private so I don't have this issue with it. My house phone however is a nightmare at times. I never should have cancelled it's unlisted status. Had the number since 1970 and was unlisted from the late 80's/early 90's. Took about 3 months once it became listed again a few years back to wind up on spam lists.
mad.gif

When my landline went from Verizon to Frontier a few years ago, it took no time at all for Frontier to sell off the numbers. The spam really started to come in then. I dumped the land line 4 years or so ago.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I use Call Control on my android phone. The numbers get bounced and never ring. Easy to add numbers to the data base too.

The problem with any of the call blocking apps is that you will rarely get more than one call from a spoofed number. I have about 50 numbers on my blacklist now and my app has a log showing when blocked numbers attempted to reach me. It almost never shows any calls. The spammers are wise to call blockers and rotate the spoofed numbers more frequently than they did in the past.

The Call Control works good as the database is pretty large. It's frequently and easy to update. I had Caller ID but it could not just hang up on spam and it went to Voice Mail. Not a good solution. I downloaded the Mr Number and will see if it's better than the Call Control.

Mr. Number's developer states clearly on Play Store that the app will not perform the hang up function or block texts on the newer versions of Android. I'm trying it anyway because of the database of spam numbers. The vast majority of the don't leave voice mails and hanging up doesn't stop the calls, anyway. I appreciate the heads up on the app, SHOZ.

Caller ID said due to a Google rule they cannot hang up on the call. Call Control does. I'll test the Mr Number for a while still.

I'm trying Mr Number as well. Let's both report back to this thread in a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
You could mess with the callers. Have some fun.

There are too many of them, they call at inconvenient times, and it's just a recorded message. If you press the button to speak with a representative you often go into a hold queue or the call simply disconnects. Also, so may people yell at these operators that they just hang up on you as soon as you start saying something they don't want to hear. The calls are illegal and the FCC/FTC can't stop the flood. I am afraid the only solution I can think of is a technological one. It is such a shame that a few bad players mess things up for millions of others. That's life on planet Earth when human slime is involved.

Well after using the Mr Number for a few days it is like the Caller ID app and some calls go on to voice mail. Call Control just hangs up on them.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Well after using the Mr Number for a few days it is like the Caller ID app and some calls go on to voice mail. Call Control just hangs up on them.

Do you have Android 6.0, or newer? I thought I read in the reviews that it won't perform the hang up function on anything higher than 4.4. I haven't had the opportunity to rate Mr Number yet because I've had not spam calls in the past week - not that I'm complaining about that! 8-D

I am pretty sure Call Control will not do the hang up for me, then. Blacklist Plus wouldn't either. So, Mr Number is probably as good as anything to try due to the database of spam numbers. If not, I'll try CC, but some change to Android that came AFTER 4.4 apparently eliminated the ability of the app to hang up. Those robocalls haven't ever left me voice mail, anyway.

I've been using Call Control for a month now and I like it a lot. The database of spam callers the developer maintains must be pretty good because I see the numbers it blocks without my having to intervene at all. I've only had to manually add a couple of numbers and when I do that there is an option to report them so they can be added to the database. So far this has been the most successful call blocking app I have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back