Soviet generator revival (2 stroke/military)

Probably called for straight weight depending on ambient temp. During WWII tribology and lubricant chemistry wasn’t sophisticated. 15W-40 should be fine, the Russians probably used 10W-40W depending on temp.
Its brand new.. so i hope it will last a long time with modern top shelf synth lubricants and a proper caring break in. Thanks for your response

I would run an HDEO myself. Looks like a cool project, hope you post a video when you get it running.
Yup I was also leaning to the Motul synth diesel oil i have on hand.. will post a vid when its up and ready.

If the original mix was 25:1 why not stay with that? Especially if it has a bushing for the wrist pin. Old ,old, school Lawnboys with bushings spec'ed 16:1 :cool:

So i got this old 1990 Russian/USSR military two stroke genny...
Old 1990... WOW! I left Berlin in 1989 when the Berlin wall opening was negotiated and I'm not that old. I was a Russian language signal interceptor working with the Army there at both Teufelsberg and Clay HQ. That really makes me feel old :)

Mr. Gorbechev, what mix ratio do you use? haha Sorry. I couldn't resist. Pic is from 1985.

Attachments

• 40th Armor Berlin.jpg
    40th Armor Berlin.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 13
If the original mix was 25:1 why not stay with that? Especially if it has a bushing for the wrist pin. Old ,old, school Lawnboys with bushings spec'ed 16:1 :cool:
Good thought, i will take the carb and reeds (guess it has them) off and stick the snakey cam down in, will also prelube any bushings/bearings before first start.

Old 1990... WOW! I left Berlin in 1989 when the Berlin wall opening was negotiated and I'm not that old. I was a Russian language signal interceptor working with the Army there at both Teufelsberg and Clay HQ. That really makes me feel old :)

Mr. Gorbechev, what mix ratio do you use? haha Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Mr. G here will go with a 1:25 as pointed out by other forum members with the hope that those bushings last longer than the Berlin wall 🤪😂.

I’m a 1986er Greek-American expat living in Greece and we have a lot of exposure to eastern block tech here.. that led through work as well to alot of exposure and exploring of former Soviet countries. Fascinating even how they acomplished similar machines with such different methodology.

There are some 2 stroke oils for diesels. They are heavy weight but have a very specific additive package. I think it was on this site that an article was shown about a historic river ferry with 2 stroke diesels having issues with it's oil, and then another oil got developped for it.

I'd be very wary to use a 4 stroke oil in it, except for the gearing/transfer case. I'd go gear oil there though.

There are some 2 stroke oils for diesels. They are heavy weight but have a very specific additive package. I think it was on this site that an article was shown about a historic river ferry with 2 stroke diesels having issues with it's oil, and then another oil got developped for it.

I'd be very wary to use a 4 stroke oil in it, except for the gearing/transfer case. I'd go gear oil there though.
Yes its only for the transfer case.. synth 2T oil for the gas.. i do have some straight 40 DD from Fuchs for Detroit Diesels but i think with the tiny gears the 15w-40 HDO oil will be better? Otherwise a 75w-90 diff oil?

So after checking out some translated russian vids on youtube, just like a fellow forum member recomended, a guy with the same engine says its STARTS ON GASOLINE and turns over to KEROSENE.
Will it harm it to run on gas only?
Do i drip gas in the screw on cylinder head?
Run kerosene/oil mix in the tank?
If run on gas only perhaps up the mix to 1:25?

US military stuff is all some sorta universal fuel isn't it. Army uses JP something or other, correct? No more gasoline/ dual fuel logistic hassle. Be kind, I never served. Why wouldn't Sov.Bloc stuff be the same.?

So after checking out some translated russian vids on youtube, just like a fellow forum member recomended, a guy with the same engine says its STARTS ON GASOLINE and turns over to KEROSENE.
Will it harm it to run on gas only?
Do i drip gas in the screw on cylinder head?
Run kerosene/oil mix in the tank?
If run on gas only perhaps up the mix to 1:25?
Dont know if that dual fuel system is corelated to military...as a redundancy or something....

But I do know that in the past lamp oil was cheaper then gasoline......and thats why some OPE lawnmowers were built to run on both lampoil (petrolej) or on regular gas....

Such as BCS lawnmower with ACME engine....

Here you can see its fuel tank with two "intakes".....one is for lamp oil...second is for regural gas!

Back