Southwest heatwave puts huge strain on the power grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
New temp record for Arizona. Baby it’s hot outside.

06C47E12-10B5-4CE0-A66C-424784550833.jpg

Hopefully they keep their EVs charged up should they have to evacuate. Seriously this is a tragedy and I hope it doesn't get as bad as its shaping up.

Our 'infrastucture' is in bad shape and yet we continue to 'fix' other nations problems....
This is off-topic, but lets go there. The US can do thousands of things at the same time.
Foreign aid is less than 1% of the federal budget. So, to blame it for the inability to take care of infrastructure is ridiculous.
But again, I don't see what this has to do with the original post. So, I apologize that I've taken the bait.

Yikes! my bother just move to Gilbert just east of Phoenix. And my nice is moving there this week.

He tried to get me out there. Why would I want to move to a desert basin? Yes property taxes are low,
but I hate designed the jammed up designed communities. Houses 15 feet apart.
I suppose I am spoiled by living in a Colonial town that's largely unchanged from the 1700's other than Electricity, modern Fire Dept. cable and a few more houses. We couldn't keep Dunkin DO NOT out, but its in another community store - not a stand alone.

At least its a dry heat. Stay safe and well.

Hypothetically what will be the impact if the majority of vehicles are EV?
It could be bad or it could be an opportunity. Depends on how we handle it.
Rolling blackouts are already dangerous. Time to get into action.

Clearly, there is work to do in support of future energy needs.
If anyone can do it, CA can. We have the will and the $$.
I am optimistic about the future.

Why not gas powered a/c units if people are so in love with gas engines? They are a huge consumer of electricity. Why pick on cars? My family moved a lot. In the mid 50’s we moved to Phoenix. The day we arrived it was 115, a record for the date. No a/c in the car. No a/c in the housing. They bought a brand new brick 3/2 with bonus room for 10k. I remember the address, it was on W. Citrus Way. No one had a/c except one family. They owned several homes and rented them. We called them the rich people, one reason was they had a/c. My first time in a/c was in their house, it was a marvel. Everyone else had a swamp cooler on the roof. Dad bought a new car, no a/c. In early 60’s they moved to Calif. still no a/c in car or house. I still have no house a/c, but have it in the car finally. You can live without air conditioning. As for which would be easiest to live without, it would be a/c before an electric car if all had to be electric.
As for it being hot somewhere in 1918, it doesn’t work like that. 1918 was a cold year, but climate is not weather already give it a rest.

The cheapest kilowatt is the one you don't have to generate; it is not clear why instead of arguing on how to generate it, we should discuss and spend $ on how not to waste it; in the end it makes business more competitive and put $$ into the pockets of regular joes. We had solar hot water in the house i grew up in in 1980; 120 gallons of 180F water available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back