Sonata - Engine knocking recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

My cousin has a 2013 Sonata. Hyundai recalled these cars for engine knocking (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/hyundai-and-kia-recall-1-2-million-cars-for-engine-failures)

She got the car checked at the dealer and the dealer mentioned that her car is fine. I am not aware of the fine details of this recall. Her car doesn't have a knocking sound yet and performs without any problem. I am curious if there is anything for her to follow up.

Any idea what happens if that knocking thing starts in future?

Many thanks in advance.

Keep the oil and filter changed at the proper intervals. 5W30 oil 7,500 miles normal conditions or 3,750 miles for severe conditions. I do 5,000 miles. Keep records and drive it. If it blows, call a tow truck and drop it at the dealer. The original owner warranty has been extended to 120,000 miles.

Last edited:
The fix is probably thicker oil!
laugh.gif

What colour is the dipstick handle?
Yellow is stock,
Orange means dealer inspected engine, found no issues related to knocking, and is a revised dipstick with recalibration with extra oil capacity,
Red means dealer inspected engine, found issues related to knocking, and replaced the engine. New red dipstick is recalibrated to have more oil capacity.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V226-1988.pdf

If the engine needs replacement, she is owed a courtesy car during the repair.

Originally Posted by Danno
Yellow is stock,
Orange means dealer inspected engine, found no issues related to knocking, and is a revised dipstick with recalibration with extra oil capacity,
Red means dealer inspected engine, found issues related to knocking, and replaced the engine. New red dipstick is recalibrated to have more oil capacity.

So.... They don't replace the oil pan? Instead they simply move the, "Full Line" higher up on the stick? So the "fix" they are performing is basically overfilling the crankcase to quiet down a noisy engine. Something that most any mechanic will tell you never to do.

If her's past, don't worry and carry on as you have been doing. Her powertrain warranty is now up to 120K miles.
Use 5W-20 or anything else in the manual you'd like. If oil viscosity were the fix, Hyundai would have amended the recommendations after spending millions on this campaign.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by billt460
Yellow is stock,

So.... They don't replace the oil pan? Instead they simply move the, "Full Line" higher up on the stick? So the "fix" they are performing is basically overfilling the crankcase to quiet down a noisy engine. Something that most any mechanic will tell you never to do.

I wouldn't see the extra oil quieting anything down. It may be a just in case the engine uses oil, or extra oil to keep things cooler?

I wouldn't see the extra oil quieting anything down. It may be a just in case the engine uses oil, or extra oil to keep things cooler?

You could very well be right. However, that doesn't change the fact that overfilling an engines designed oil capacity was always thought of, as one of the biggest no no's out there. Increased oil capacity is a good thing. Especially if a given model of an engine is known for consuming oil. But over filling the crankcase doesn't seem like a good way to accomplish that goal.

I use 10w30 in mine. The purpose of using thicker oil is to help protect the rod bearings. The failure mode is usually a spun rod bearing and/or resulting engine seizure.

The recall was already out when I bought mine, I figured, "free 70K engine warranty"! It was 48373 when I bought it. I'm going to take it to 120K and then re-evaluate. If it's running fine, I'm going to keep running it until it isn't.

Patient: "Doc, my heart is beating irregularly."

Doctor: "You're low on blood. Just add another quart and call me in the morning!"

Maybe the solution of increasing the sump capacity isn't to just add more oil, maybe they discovered it was too low in the first place?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Maybe the solution of increasing the sump capacity isn't to just add more oil, maybe they discovered it was too low in the first place?

I agree Nick1994.

When those engines start going south they start using oil at a rapid rate. That's the first sign of impending doom. Hopefully she checks the level often. If it were me I'd check it every two weeks max. Sometimes owners have the oil light come on. Not long after that engine replacement. Check out thread below:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../coworker-ran-car-dry-of-oil#Post4627007

from page 3:

Originally Posted by gregk24
Surprise surprise, her engine seized up! Sounds like it is covered under the extended warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back