Something interesting from FRAM - PH8316

Was at "THE MART" yesterday browsing oil filters. I needed a filter for an old Ford Focus and the Fram application was a PH8316. There were two on the shelf, both with damaged boxes, and with differing labels. Other than the part number, they did not look alike.

I took both filters out of their boxes to check them out and one of them had what appeared to be a by-pass valve very close to the baseplate. The other filter had a by-pass valve in the usual location near the closed end of the can. I had never seen a filter like this and thought it was possibly a faulty assembly. I was curious how the oil would get past the filter since no filtering media was visible.

I poked out a message to Fram on the internet with my pictures and drawings and graphs and VIN numbers for application, etc., and Fram got back to me with this neat picture. They say they no longer produce the PH8316 with this design but I thought it was interesting enough to share on this forum.

The filter is designed to use the membrane anti-drainback valve to keep the pre-filtered oil in the filter and the "antidrain-valve engine" is to keep the post-filtered oil in the filter. After thinking about it I think it's pretty nifty. Obviously the design was changed for expense and complexity reasons but it was something nice to learn. I bought the filter that did NOT have the double anti-drainback valve because I thought it was faulty. I may go back and get it just to put in my oil filter museum.

Photo attached:
PH 8316.jpg

The second valve inside the center tube is generally referred to as an anti-siphon valve (a type of adbv), and has been spec'd for Fords with Zetec engines. As with many topics, this type filter has been discussed before this subforum. Linked is one of better c&ps of the 8316. Interesting that based on the OP, it seems Fram has arbitrarily removed the anti-siphon valve in new construction. No doubt the one without the anti-siphon valve less expensive to produce.

What's the date code? :unsure:

I used to use these filters on a Zetec Focus

FWIW, the TG8316 and 51315XP have both been discontinued. The Motorcraft part number was FL-2005, but that was discontinued almost as soon as Ford stopped making teh Zetec. It was made by Purolator, and they stopped making the 25230 a long time ago, almost after Ford stopped using it.

The only Zetec-specific filters I know to still exist:
Fram PH8316
Wix 51315 (non-XP)
Baldwin B1416 (they stopped using the Hastings brand; the Hastings part number was LF483)

Fram says they still produce the 8316 but without the double valves. I bought one without the double valves because I thought it was faulty. I don't have a date code because I didn't buy it. It's probably still on the shelf. The one that I did buy that has only one by-pass valve has a date code of A20832.

What's the date code? :unsure:

I used to use these filters on a Zetec Focus

FWIW, the TG8316 and 51315XP have both been discontinued. The Motorcraft part number was FL-2005, but that was discontinued almost as soon as Ford stopped making teh Zetec. It was made by Purolator, and they stopped making the 25230 a long time ago, almost after Ford stopped using it.

The only Zetec-specific filters I know to still exist:
Fram PH8316
Wix 51315 (non-XP)
Baldwin B1416 (they stopped using the Hastings brand; the Hastings part number was LF483)

I spotted 2 full rows of TG 8316 filters at Rural King yesterday.

Off topic: do you recall the Lurolator classic I posted that had 2 bypass valves sir?

Thank You

I spotted 2 full rows of TG 8316 filters at Rural King yesterday.

Off topic: do you recall the Lurolator classic I posted that had 2 bypass valves sir?

Thank You

Next time you're in RK, check the date codes of those Tough Guards :sneaky:

I don't recall that classic. Was it a 25230? If not, do you remember the part number? :unsure:

Back